Carolina Kostner with a new coach? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Carolina Kostner with a new coach?

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
Edoardo De Bernardis was a former pupil of Christa Fassi. Carolina has decided (don't know why) to stay in Italy (she trains in Pinerolo and Torino itself) to train for Torino and it seems that she was adressed to De Bernardis (he has coached also Zanforlin/Degli Esposti and Bacchini) from Christa, until she come here for the Worlds. In this way, she's also near her family and boyfriend, and she hasn't to pay as much as in LA (since the Italian Fed has cut financing until worlds, it seems)
In Torino she'll be again with Christa.

Grazie Kiz :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Carolina was with Christa Fassi at the Olympics. Carolina has never been a tough competitor. Her nerves seem to get to her worse than ever when she skates in her home country, so I don't see a huge turnaround in Torino.

IMO, Carolina should have left her longtime coach Huth two years ago. Maybe then she would have regained her mojo, but now it's just too late. Skaters don't get suddenly "reborn" at 23.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Carolina has a triple triple, ratified at the 2010 Euro, which was just less than 2 months ago.
She also has no edge problem.
Her PCS are good enough.

She only needs to put everything together. It shouldn't be that bad to be in Caro's skates. I think she'll be fine.

BTW, I don't think any elite skaters are lazy like someone suggested. At my local club, I saw little girls doing single Axel and double toe 30-50 times in a row. They fell, then got up, they tried again. Caro didn't get to that level being lazy.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
but now it's just too late. Skaters don't get suddenly "reborn" at 23.

Why so sure about that? Maybe she has now come home with lots of skills an experience. To rule such a talented 23 young skating lady out is for me old thoughts.

Carolina has a triple triple, ratified at the 2010 Euro, which was just less than 2 months ago.
She also has no edge problem.
Her PCS are good enough.

She only needs to put everything together. It shouldn't be that bad to be in Caro's skates. I think she'll be fine.

BTW, I don't think any elite skaters are lazy like someone suggested. At my local club, I saw little girls doing single Axel and double toe 30-50 times in a row. They fell, then got up, they tried again. Caro didn't get to that level being lazy.

:thumbsup:

key65man

Rinkside
Although she tends to slow down a little before take off, Carolina's speed and weight still make her jump harder to control. It really takes "more" -- a lot more than a skater with less speed or weight -- work to keep her jump (or Yuna's) at the highest level. So, does Carolina work hard enough to keep her jumps sharp? Only she and her coach(es) know.

Is it only me that thinks Carolina doesn't recoup from a mistake as well as other top skaters do?

raress

On the Ice
At her if she miss the first jump everything from than on is going worse its like an avalanche ....You sow maybe that at euros if the first jump was good everything was almost good but as you sow at TEB and COC was the same problem(miss the first flip) she had at the Oly.So the conclusion is that her problem is mentally that for sore,not a low worker !

miki88

Medalist
I think it's both. I don't think she's lazy but perhaps she doesn't work as much as some of the other elite skaters. I heard Yuna skates the longest out of the top skaters. I don't like Evan's skating but the guy is a workaholic. He does full run throughs in every practice and it paid off in the end for him.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Carolina was with Christa Fassi at the Olympics. Carolina has never been a tough competitor. Her nerves seem to get to her worse than ever when she skates in her home country, so I don't see a huge turnaround in Torino.

IMO, Carolina should have left her longtime coach Huth two years ago. Maybe then she would have regained her mojo, but now it's just too late. Skaters don't get suddenly "reborn" at 23.

Joannie was reborn at 23, why not Carolina? I do wonder about Huth though, he is also Tomas Verner's coach and it seems kind of odd that two of the biggest headcases and most talented students of figure skating have trained under him....hmm...

I think Caro needs a sports shrink. The problem is most likely in her head. I have heard that she and Tomas are both very hard working and skate for many hours a day, I just think sometimes people can work hard without knowing the best way to work, or they do work well but then choke in competition. Where Italy doesn't really have that many good female skaters I think Carolina should continue for as long as she wants too. I'd love to see her have more consistent performances at major international events. I'm not expecting much out of her at worlds, but will be happy to see her just not have a meltdown, even if she doesn't place well.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joannie was reborn at 23, why not Carolina?

Joannie was not reborn at 23. She happened to put it all together at Worlds last year, and again at the Olympics. Her GP events this season weren't nearly as good, but that apparently was due to too many distractions and not enough practice. Joannie has gradually become more consistent over the years.

Joannie has good basic technique, while Carolina's has always been hit or miss. Lately, it's mostly miss. Historically, Carolina has performed well at Euros, but has struggled or bombed in the larger events (Worlds/Olympics).

The difference between the two is that Carolina is a major headcase. Joannie has had a few off-performances, but I don't recall her ever bombing as spectacularly as Carolina has done from time to time. Joannie has occasionally suffered a lapse of confidence, but nothing on the scale of Carolina's.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Joannie was not reborn at 23. She happened to put it all together at Worlds last year, and again at the Olympics. Her GP events this season weren't nearly as good, but that apparently was due to too many distractions and not enough practice. Joannie has gradually become more consistent over the years.

Joannie has good basic technique, while Carolina's has always been hit or miss. Lately, it's mostly miss. Historically, Carolina has performed well at Euros, but has struggled or bombed in the larger events (Worlds/Olympics).

The difference between the two is that Carolina is a major headcase. Joannie has had a few off-performances, but I don't recall her ever bombing as spectacularly as Carolina has done from time to time. Joannie has occasionally suffered a lapse of confidence, but nothing on the scale of Carolina's.

I know the situations aren't identical, but Joannie used to be pretty inconsistent, not to Carolina's degree but still pretty bad. Carolina's technique is also fine, it's not like she's Caroline Zhang! I think if she puts her mind to it she can overhaul and become more consistent.

npavel

On the Ice
sorry, npavel, I understand you're a great fan, but I should say I don't find this a particular good practice...I hope she did better when the camera was off ;)

It was meant to proof that both, Christa och Edoardo are with her, not to say that this bit of practice was her best. I saw her in Tallin and there I saw very god jumps and combinations.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know the situations aren't identical, but Joannie used to be pretty inconsistent, not to Carolina's degree but still pretty bad. Carolina's technique is also fine, it's not like she's Caroline Zhang! I think if she puts her mind to it she can overhaul and become more consistent.

While Joannie's performance consistency has improved, Carolina's has deteriorated. Except for Euros, Carolina has skated poorly for the past two seasons. And I wouldn't call Carolina's technique fine: even when she won silver at Worlds 2008, she had a sloppy landing on just about every jump. Carolina has always had problems with lutz and axel, but lately all her jumps seem to be iffy.

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
It was meant to proof that both, Christa och Edoardo are with her, not to say that this bit of practice was her best. I saw her in Tallin and there I saw very god jumps and combinations.

:agree:

ps: sorry if I misunderstood!

sorcerer

Final Flight
Poor Caro ... she must be suffering some serious trauma from the 2 big meltdowns in the 2 big events.
But the only way to get out of such trauma is to skate clean and medal, not once but many times.
It's live or die, Caro has to JUST DO IT.
However badly they write her off, she has to pull through and win confidence again.
Skating fans can and should only support a skater in such situation IMO.

Tanja90

On the Ice
poor caro ... She must be suffering some serious trauma from the 2 big meltdowns in the 2 big events.
But the only way to get out of such trauma is to skate clean and medal, not once but many times.
It's live or die, caro has to just do it.
However badly they write her off, she has to pull through and win confidence again.
Skating fans can and should only support a skater in such situation imo.

holy words!!!!!!

gio

Medalist

Didn't Butyrskaya won her first World title at a very late age (26?) after struggling for many seasons?