Carolina Kostner's ex boyfriend has dragged her into his scandal | Golden Skate

Carolina Kostner's ex boyfriend has dragged her into his scandal

Meoima

Match Penalty
I can't speak Italian so there might be something inaccurate. But using google translate, it seems Carolina's ex-boyfriend, Alex Schwarzer (Race Walker Olympic Champion in Bejing 2008) has dragged her name into his doping scandal, saying that she lied for him once when investigators visited his house for some sudden doping test.

Source: http://www.neveitalia.it/sport/figu...tner-a-causa-delle-vicenda-doping-di-schwazer

Google translate:
A few days before the highly anticipated " Intimissimi Operapop on Ice ," which will be staged at the picturesque setting of the Arena di Verona , the name of Carolina Kostner is again associated with the former boyfriend Alex Schwarzer , currently under investigation for crimes related doping.

According to the findings from the interviews conducted by the investigative bodies of the Prosecutor of Bolzano , the former marcher , suspended until January 30, 2016 due to the positive findings in July 2012, he confessed to having been helped by Carolina Kostner in avoiding a control anti- doping surprise.

Specifically, in the paper today of "La Gazzetta dello Sport" , it tells of how Kostner has declared to inspectors Wada , who presented at his home in Oberstdorf, that he was then engaged in Racines when in fact it was hidden in the house. The Italian skater , when questioned about it by the investigative bodies , confirmed the version of Schwarzer.

If they investigated further, I am afraid Carolina might be banned from competitions (but she might retire so it's not such big deal). But what about ice shows? I hope they will continue to invite her again to ice shows despite this scandal, but what if it goes bigger?

I mean, seriously, it does look like Schwarzer is willing to give out many names as possible in order to get himself a reduced sentence. :scowl:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This doesn't diminish her in my eyes. She was covering for her boyfriend, saying he wasn't home. It's not like she was the one buying his drugs.

That's pretty lousy of him to try to drag her down...

Meoima

Match Penalty
This doesn't diminish her in my eyes. She was covering for her boyfriend, saying he wasn't home. It's not like she was the one buying his drugs.
That's pretty lousy of him to try to drag her down...
Totally agree. The thing is it's not like he can benefit anything by dragging her down. I mean, yes, she admitted that she was lying for him. But at that time he was still her boyfriend and maybe he knew how to persuade her to lie for him. She might not even know he was involved in doping. I don't get it, it does look like he is trying to tarnish her name.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
You're right, Meoima. Carolina admitted that she lied to WADA officers, and that could cost her a ban.
In Italy, there has been a case in which a woman (not a sportswoman) helped her boyfriend to skip a test, and she has been forbidden to attend track&field events or to coach.
I am afraid that Kostner could risk something similar, meaning that she won't be able to coach/attend events with children.
She probably only lied at his request and out of love, even if it was still a wrong thing to do, I feel for her.

Meoima

Match Penalty
You're right, Meoima. Carolina admitted that she lied to WADA officers, and that could cost her a ban.
In Italy, there has been a case in which a woman (not a sportswoman) helped her boyfriend to skip a test, and she has been forbidden to attend track&field events or to coach.
I am afraid that Kostner could risk something similar, meaning that she won't be able to coach/attend events with children.
She probably only lied at his request and out of love, even if it was still a wrong thing to do, I feel for her.
Oh no! Caro!! :cry: But they couldn't ban her from ice shows, could they?

Icey

Record Breaker
The message being sent by showing a picture of her "fallen" on the ice as preface to the article.:eek: Surely, she must have been suspicious when he asked her to lie to avoid a drug test, although he said she knew nothing about it in 2010. How long did their relationship last after that event?
I wonder if her lying was known about prior to the Olympics?

Did Caroline not think his making a trip to Turkey to buy the epo odd and become suspicious that he was injecting himself with "vitamins"?

Actually, she dragged herself into it when she made the decision to lie.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If she ever goes in front of a board and is forced to defend herself may I suggest she plays a copy of her "Ave Maria" from Sochi and simply says "I rest my case."

#CaroIsAnAngel

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Is there a chance she could just get a 'stern warning'? I really hope so.

She will probably be questioned by investigating magistrates, and she will set up a line of defense with her lawyers.
Only a stern warning is not out of question, IMO. For sure her public image and marketability will suffer (How much, I don't know).
Another problem is that Carolina belongs to Fiamme Azzurre (Penitentiary Police's Sports Team), and they won't approve of her lying.
I don't think that she will suffer that much economically, because in the worst scenario I suppose she will be able to skate in ice shows ABROAD (and it's not like she hasn't opportunities).
The main problem will be for Italian skating, if she can't work in her country to develop future generations of skaters.
It's still premature to think about that, obviously, so we'll wait and see.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Someone post a blog (written by a journalist of Il Sole 24 ore, a newspapers in Italy) about the doping scandal.
http://gradozeroblog.it/news/doping-di-stato

In the blog, the journalist said that Caro was angry at her boyfriend (now ex) when he persuaded her to lie to the anti-doping inspectors. But she didn't have much time to argue with him or even say no. I can't tell for sure since it's google translate.

I don't think it is right to lie for such matter but people do silly things all the times, I hope she won't be banned. :cry:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
It does for me, if she knew her boyfriend was cheating as a sportwoman didn´t do anything is very dissapointing.

How would she feel if she knew a person who beat her was dopping and nobody did anything to stop it, how can you clain you love clean sport and fair play if you allow this?

And BTW the guy is garbage.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Ugh. Yeah, what she did was wrong, but he's absolutely trash for saying this(especially since she did it for him). :disapp:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
If she ever goes in front of a board and is forced to defend herself may I suggest she plays a copy of her "Ave Maria" from Sochi and simply says "I rest my case."

#CaroIsAnAngel

That works for me :) but a board of inquiry will be made of sterner stuff, I'm afraid. Much as I sympathize w/ Caro, it makes me sad that she didn't have the courage to refuse to cover for him -- she had to have known it was wrong. Of course he's a creep, but why oh why couldn't she have used better judgment? We've all done stupid things for love at times but still.... :disapp:

BTW, love your new avatar, S-S. I adore Basset Hounds and the image of those floppy ears in front of a fan is cracking me up! :laugh:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Ugh. Yeah, what she did was wrong, but he's absolutely trash for saying this(especially since she did it for him). :disapp:
And it's only a few days before her ice shows. :bang: I wonder how can she focus on the ice show with such scandal all over Italian news.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I suspect Carolina will draw sympathy in the court of public opinion. The issue is how severe her action will be viewed legally and how much it will affect her career and future. I wish her the best.

desertskates

Medalist
Oh, how sad. I always kind of wondered if any of this would com back and bite her in the bum. What a piece of turd the guy is for even bringing his "special vitamins" into their shared home anyways! I really hope she suffers no lasting consequences. But I really wish she hadn't lied in the first place. People do some strange things when they are put on the spot. :(

tulosai

Record Breaker
It does for me, if she knew her boyfriend was cheating as a sportwoman didn´t do anything is very dissapointing.

How would she feel if she knew a person who beat her was dopping and nobody did anything to stop it, how can you clain you love clean sport and fair play if you allow this?

And BTW the guy is garbage.

I unfortunately agree, this does lower my opinion of her as a person somewhat, especially since she's been involved in organizations and campaigns against this very thing. I don't generally believe in lying outright to the police either, but in America it might be a bit different than in Italy, at least if you know your rights... you basically can say 'do you have a warrant? Am I under arrest?' and if the answer to both of these is no, you can just shut your door on them.

I do agree it was classless of him to bring this up, though, and I will say I respect her for not lying now about what she did.

Meoima

Match Penalty
The message being sent by showing a picture of her "fallen" on the ice as preface to the article.:eek: Surely, she must have been suspicious when he asked her to lie to avoid a drug test, although he said she knew nothing about it in 2010. How long did their relationship last after that event?
I wonder if her lying was known about prior to the Olympics?
Did Caroline not think his making a trip to Turkey to buy the epo odd and become suspicious that he was injecting himself with "vitamins"?
Actually, she dragged herself into it when she made the decision to lie.
According to a poster in FSU (might be an Italian).

Schwazer was discovered in 2012, by that time he said that nobody knew about his doping. Now, he suddenly changed his words and said Carolina lied for him when the investigators visited him might be in 2012 (the poster was not sure). He even drag many other's names into his scandal so it seems. That poster said Carolina and Schwazer's relationship might have ended about the same time, so maybe she left him after knowing that he was using doping?

Bad decision for her, still.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
According to a poster in FSU (might be an Italian).

Schwazer was discovered in 2012, by that time he said that nobody knew about his doping. Now, he suddenly changed his words and said Carolina lied for him when the investigators visited him might be in 2012 (the poster was not sure). He even drag many other's names into his scandal so it seems. That poster said Carolina and Schwazer's relationship might have ended about the same time, so maybe she left him after knowing that he was using doping?

Bad decision for her, still.

The problem is, at no moment she try to come forward, she spoke about it until he talk about it. If it haven´t come to this she would have continue with her life with no remorse. I know I´m being hard, but how can you keep quiet something like this? What if he was being looked by running over a person with his car or killed a man?

Kunstrijdster

Rinkside
A missed test is a missed test. whether you say you are somwhere else or just don't open the door at all, you receive a strike and that's it. Why lie at all? If he persuaded her and she was angry about it, he must have known it's the test people. Just lay low and don't open at all. Same difference.