Ban on Carolina Kostner Over | Page 44 | Golden Skate

Ban on Carolina Kostner Over

"Arrogant" and "Yuna Kim" in the same sentence is :roll9:

As for Carolina Kostner, here's the rule: When you've got a former world champion and Olympic medalist, send her.

narcissa

Record Breaker
I think Yuna needs to stay retired. I don't want her to risk any more injuries. I would love for her to skate original programs in shows and stuff though because I love her. But I don't think she'll do any more for her legacy if she comes back in 2018 after being away for 3.5 years.

As for Carolina participating in Worlds...that will certainly make things interesting...:clap:

Franklin99

Medalist
I think Yuna needs to stay retired. I don't want her to risk any more injuries. I would love for her to skate original programs in shows and stuff though because I love her. But I don't think she'll do any more for her legacy if she comes back in 2018 after being away for 3.5 years.

As for Carolina participating in Worlds...that will certainly make things interesting...:clap:

I highly doubt Yuna wants to compete ever again. Hasn't she dedicated herself to FS since she was 5? That's over 18 years until her retirement in 2014. I'm sure she's happy mentoring the next generation of Korean skaters.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
"Arrogant" and "Yuna Kim" in the same sentence is :roll9:

As for Carolina Kostner, here's the rule: When you've got a former world champion and Olympic medalist, send her.

Countries with as little depth as South Korea and Italy would be insane not to send either of those two if they are in good form. It's a no brainer.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
IIRC, according to the KSU rules (back then, not sure about now), the skater who had medaled at the previous WC was guaranteed the ticket for the next WC. Yuna got a silver at 2010 WC, so she didn't need to compete at the next nationals. (same as 2007-2010) That's the reason why Yuna had to compete at 2013 Korean Nationals... she didn't compete at 2012 WC, which means no guaranteed ticket for her. Simple as that. So what arrogance there?

This rule might sound strange or unfair (especially after seeing the results of Russian nationals this year :p Oh Liza...) but considering the depth of Korean figure skating before Yuna, quite understandable. I think they should reconsider the rule now though, since Korean figure skating is really improving.

I don't think Italy has the same rule, which can make the situation a little bit awkward. However, Italy is more like Korea than Russia in terms of the depth of figure skating. I personally don't think giving Carolina a spot is that unfair, but at the same time can understand people complain about it.

Even though I was never a fan of Carolina I want to see her skating on the competitive ice again. It will be much more interesting with her.
It will be more interesting if Carolina is near or at her top level but if she is simply skating because well in essence she can go to world's because her Italian competitors are competitive or do much that someone who has not skated competitively for two years can still make the Italian team (well depending on what you call making the team) then not so interesting.

Ekm

On the Ice
I think realistically Carolina's best hope for medalling at the world level is to wait until next year. I don't think you can fairly compare her skate at some event against Euros of the two other ladies. But what will be will be. LIfe isn't fair. At least Carolina has her fans to support her no one is supporting or caring for the Vaartmans or the German pair team that is being pushed aside and stomped on for Savchenko's personal goal of oly gold.

But if Carolina is even in decent form, it's better for all of the Italian ladies in the long run, as there is very little chance of Russo or Rodegeheiro getting back a second spot, and Carolina would be way more likely to do so, giving one of those ladies a chance to go next season. If Italy were not to gain the spot back them those girls are out of luck next year as surely Carolina would get the single spot.

MizukiS

Rinkside
Based on the latest TSL tweet, Carolina will be back next season in Sept. Though she's not my favorite, I admire her passion for skating. Looking forward for her new programs next year.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
@MizukiS
Thanks for the update. So I bet that Italy will send Roberta to Worlds. And looking at Roberta's new PB top ten at Worlds could be within her reach. With a little luck of course.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
@MizukiS
Thanks for the update. So I bet that Italy will send Roberta to Worlds. And looking at Roberta's new PB top ten at Worlds could be within her reach. With a little luck of course.
Its possible. Count on maybe one Russian and or one American and or one Japanese ladies falling apart; assuming she beats the two Canadians and if she can't beat the Korean and Chinese ladies as well as French lady well at least beat most of them she could earn Italy a top ten or twelve. On the other hand if all three Japanese, Russians, Americans beat her plus the two Canadians, French, Korean and Chinese lady - all capable beat her well she will be scrambling for top 15.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
Based on the latest TSL tweet, Carolina will be back next season in Sept. Though she's not my favorite, I admire her passion for skating. Looking forward for her new programs next year.

Great news, she is a lovely skater :luv17:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Wow, and if she sticks around till the Olympics, she'll be 30 then. ;) Have there ever been any Olympians in the ladies event competing at age 30 or older?

mrrice

Record Breaker
Wow, and if she sticks around till the Olympics, she'll be 30 then. ;) Have there ever been any Olympians in the ladies event competing at age 30 or older?

Wait for it............Maria Butyrskaya was Born in 1972 making her 30 years old when she competed in Salt Lake City in 2002. :agree:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Wait for it............Maria Butyrskaya was Born in 1972 making her 30 years old when she competed in Salt Lake City in 2002. :agree:

And she was competitive with the much younger ladies. Carolina can compete too but I'm not sure if she can accrue enough TES to compete with the likes of Evgenia. The Russian already gets very strong PCS so I don't see any way for Carolina to catch her (or whatever Russian happens to be skating well that season.)

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Don't think Carolina can catch the current top lady skaters. She didn't have the strongest jumps to start with, and she will be lucky if she can deliver the jump layout in her last season. But her comeback may keep Mao motivated.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Don't think Carolina can catch the current top lady skaters. She didn't have the strongest jumps to start with, and she will be lucky if she can deliver the jump layout in her last season. But her comeback may keep Mao motivated.
Well, I disagree. She's one of the strongest ladies jumpers ever. She did the most difficult combinations when she was under 20, like 3F-3T-2L. And she was able the get her 3Lz back after injuries and she updated from 3T-3T to 3F-3T for the SP in the Olympic season. So I wouldn't underestimate her. And I'm pretty sure that we won't see her next season without a 3-3. I expect a 3T-3T in the short and a 2A-3T in the long, if she hasn't got that stable she won't compete.

jkun

Final Flight
Well, I disagree. She's one of the strongest ladies jumpers ever. She did the most difficult combinations when she was under 20, like 3F-3T-2L. And she was able the get her 3Lz back after injuries and she updated from 3T-3T to 3F-3T for the SP in the Olympic season. So I wouldn't underestimate her. And I'm pretty sure that we won't see her next season without a 3-3. I expect a 3T-3T in the short and a 2A-3T in the long, if she hasn't got that stable she won't compete.

The only program with Carolina's TES is the fact that she can do a 7 triple FS, but usually does it in a way that she misses out on adding a 2nd 2A. Without she, she loses out on quite a few points relative to the other ladies in the field that can do 7 triples + 2 2A.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Interesting. I wonder how will she hold up then. I shall be most keen on seeing how the SS and StSq GOE scores will turn out since Caro is possibly the female skater with the strongest basic SS and steps. Only Mao Asada is the equal where steps are concerned. In SS, very few will come close to her edge control. Goodness if they score the Russian tsarsinas ~high 8s and 9s, how should Caro be scored? But good to see her in but realistically she won't be able to match up technically in the triple jumps especially the combos.