Chan Relocating to Train in Vancouver | Golden Skate

Chan Relocating to Train in Vancouver

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OTTAWA, ON: Three-time world champion and two-time Olympic silver medallist Patrick Chan, 25, Toronto, Ont., has announced that he will relocate to Vancouver, B.C., this summer. Chan will continue to be coached by Kathy Johnson at the Champs International Skating Centre located in Burnaby, B.C.

Johnson has been Chan’s head coach since 2012. They will both make the move from Detroit to Vancouver in July.

“I am excited to come home and train full-time in Canada in the lead up to the 2018 Olympic Winter Games. Vancouver holds a special place in my heart and I am looking forward to calling the city home,” said Chan. “I am thankful for the years I spent at the Detroit Skating Club and all the support they provided me. The decision to change environments was a collaborate decision with my team and after reflecting on the past season we decided to make the move to Vancouver. Everyone from Skate Canada and Skate Canada BC/YT have been very supportive, and Kathy and I know Vancouver will be a great environment for us.”

Champs International Skating Centre is under the direction of coach Joanne McLeod. The facility is also home to the Skate Canada BC/YT Section office. The centre supports many top skaters and coaches from Canada and around the world.

Last edited by a moderator:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I really feel good about this for Patrick. It just jibes holistically with him. He used to relocate to where the coach was, and where the rink atmosphere suited him. (E.g. With Don Laws, he was very lonely, staying with his mother in a motel room, eating microwave food in bed.) Now he has a coach to go with him to where the entire environment, in and out of the training facilities, suits him and his lifestyle. He will be a happier person, a happier Canadian, and a happier skater there.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
And he wants to open the figure skating school in there: new business. http://vancouversun.com/news/local-...rick-chan-to-open-skating-school-in-vancouver

This has been announced since last year, the Patrick Chan Elite Figure Skating School within the Drummond Club project in Richmond, BC. He has long wanted to establish a holistic training centre for figure skating as his contribution to the sport and to Canada, and the opportunity came so early for him. He will not miss a beat in his career.

Skate Canada BC/YK Section to Support an Innovative and Exciting Project in the further development of Skating in British Columbia

Drummond Club Featuring Patrick Chan Elite Figure Skating School Coming to Richmond, B.C.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
He has long wanted to establish a holistic training centre for figure skating as his contribution to the sport and to Canada, and the opportunity came so early for him. He will not miss a beat in his career.

Yes, as it says here: http://www.haidagwaiiobserver.com/national/sport/379812931.html

"How I can incorporate skating in what I do and what she does, her theory of movement ..." Chan said from Kelowna, where he's appearing in a "Stars on Ice" show. "Combining both of those I think we can create one of the best programs ever for a figure skater.

"I've had so many years of experience watching and understanding how coaching works in figure skating, and I think there's a lack of theory in figure skating. That's a great opportunity for Kathy and I to break ground and start something totally different. I think Kathy and I can create something special."

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yes, as it says here: http://www.haidagwaiiobserver.com/national/sport/379812931.html

"How I can incorporate skating in what I do and what she does, her theory of movement ..." Chan said from Kelowna, where he's appearing in a "Stars on Ice" show. "Combining both of those I think we can create one of the best programs ever for a figure skater.

"I've had so many years of experience watching and understanding how coaching works in figure skating, and I think there's a lack of theory in figure skating. That's a great opportunity for Kathy and I to break ground and start something totally different. I think Kathy and I can create something special."

This sounds like a great idea and if anyone knows good technique, it's Patrick.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
This sounds like a great idea and if anyone know good technique, it's Patrick.

Yes. His SS is to be legendary. As a jumper, he is not one of the slim fast rotating phenoms, nor does he powers them with brute strength. His jumps are about technique and flow, with rhythm and use of his core, such that they are feats of grace and power. It's just one of the skating techniques young comers can benefit from learning from him.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Moving isn't going to solve anything if he's bringing his fake coach with him. :scratch2:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Vancouver is a gorgeous city. Patrick made a good choice. My only worry is that he will be further away from Montreal and now I am thinking he may not show up to the Autumn classic. I think though, that this could also be good for Kevin Reynolds to have such an inspiration nearby. I have no idea what kind of relationship they have though. Good news for Patrick and Kathy.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I sincerely hope he doesn't teach Axel technique! But otherwise his students should benefit greatly from posture and use of the edge.

sarama

Medalist
Honestly it made no sense for him to stay in Detroit: his coach is ready to go wherever he wants, almost all top skaters at DSC have relocated or retired, his BFFs Tessa and Scott have left the Detroit area for good and financially is probably not the best option for him... in Vancouver I'm sure Skate Canada will be able to support him more, and I'm happy he has all this plans for the future, they will probably give him more motivation and balance in his life

mrrice

Record Breaker
Honestly it made no sense for him to stay in Detroit: his coach is ready to go wherever he wants, almost all top skaters at DSC have relocated or retired, his BFFs Tessa and Scott have left the Detroit area for good and financially is probably not the best option for him... in Vancouver I'm sure Skate Canada will be able to support him more, and I'm happy he has all this plans for the future, they will probably give him more motivation and balance in his life

What has become of the DSC? I feel like I haven't heard from them in a long time. Now that Jason and Yuka aren't together, how are they coaching the skaters they used to work with? Isn't Detriot where they Shibs train?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

Yes, he was close with Tessa, Scott, Eladj, and Jeremy and they have all left.

BC is perfect for him and he will likely settle down there happily. He considers BC the most beautiful province of Canada, it offers him opportunities for year round activities in his favorite sports, his figure skating school is being built there, he has experienced very warm and enthusiastic welcome there with the large Chinese community, and his university education will be much more affordable in Canada. As well, now that he is clear about his future pursuit, he will be sure of his field of studies.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
What has become of the DSC? I feel like I haven't heard from them in a long time. Now that Jason and Yuka aren't together, how are they coaching the skaters they used to work with? Isn't Detriot where they Shibs train?

I believe Kaitlyn and Andrew still train in Detroit. The Shibs are in Canton, Michigan in Marina's troupe.

rosy14

Final Flight
I believe Kaitlyn and Andrew still train in Detroit. The Shibs are in Canton, Michigan in Marina's troupe.
Canton is in the outskirts of Detroit, and Kaitlyn and Andrew are not training into Detroit proper, but in another city nearby, close to Canton. And Shpilband is close too, but again not in the big city.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Detroit Skating Club is actually in Bloomfield Hills MI and about 30 miles northwest of Detroit. If you look at a map of Michigan, Bloomfield Hills is just a little south of the city of Pontiac. About 15 miles or so southwest of Bloomfield Hills is Novi which is where Igor S. is located. Almost directly south of Novi about 20 miles is Arctic Edge Club in Canton where the Shibs train with Marina Z.

Even though Michigan loves its interstate routes it still takes 45 to 60 minutes to go from Detroit Skating Club to Arctic Edge.

Off hand I can't think of any elite level single skaters presently at the Detroit Skating Club. I can understand why Patrick would not be happy training without other elite skaters.

Last edited: