Chan Relocating to Train in Vancouver | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Chan Relocating to Train in Vancouver

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I sincerely hope he doesn't teach Axel technique! But otherwise his students should benefit greatly from posture and use of the edge.

Worse Joanne MacLeod the axel and career killer coach teaching the axel - but seriously it could be just a fluke for whatever reason her students have huge issues with the axel and major problems reaching their potential - Sandu, Leung

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Worse Joanne MacLeod the axel and career killer coach teaching the axel - but seriously it could be just a fluke for whatever reason her students have huge issues with the axel and major problems reaching their potential - Sandu, Leung

Your post and Max are disrespectful.

Joanne McLeod has done wonders with Sandhu.... he is a GPF gold medalist ahead of the stars of his era. He had gorgeous 3A btw (you could also check your spelling of names if you want to show more consideration). The fact that Sandhu was not able to always deliver under pressure is not necessarily her fault.

Mira Leung is a strange story. I wouldn't call a coach a career killer based on that.

McLeod has also had another fantastic skater : Kevin Reynolds, first man to land two quads in the SP and 4CC winner on top of Hanyu and others... he is an Olympic silver medalist and ranked as high as 5 in the world...

Considering how young she was when she started with Emanuel... with very little experience of dealing with elite athletes, I would say that she has done wonders.

I dislike when people blame a coach when a student falters... Is it Brian Orser's fault if Hanyu failed his LP at worlds?
And how come Brian dares to teach quads jumps... he has never landed one in competition himself has he ?

Teaching, coaching, mentoring is not about how yourself have done on the ice but moreover how you can transfer the information to your pupil.

About Patrick : he has a gorgeous double axel... so I wouldn't dare to say his axel technique is flawed... He has completely relearned the jump this year and it is much more consistent. It used to be a very good jump for him before he added the quads... so it is most likely a mind game and confidence case rather than a poor technique.

Skater Boy and MAXSwagg, I would like to see your axel technique. Please post youtube videos. Thank you

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Your post and Max are disrespectful.

Joanne McLeod has done wonders with Sandhu.... he is a GPF gold medalist ahead of the stars of his era. He had gorgeous 3A btw (you could also check your spelling of names if you want to show more consideration). The fact that Sandhu was not able to always deliver under pressure is not necessarily her fault.

Mira Leung is a strange story. I wouldn't call a coach a career killer based on that.

McLeod has also had another fantastic skater : Kevin Reynolds, first man to land two quads in the SP and 4CC winner on top of Hanyu and others... he is an Olympic silver medalist and ranked as high as 5 in the world...

Considering how young she was when she started with Emanuel... with very little experience of dealing with elite athletes, I would say that she has done wonders.

I dislike when people blame a coach when a student falters... Is it Brian Orser's fault if Hanyu failed his LP at worlds?
And how come Brian dares to teach quads jumps... he has never landed one in competition himself has he ?

Teaching, coaching, mentoring is not about how yourself has done on the ice but moreover how you can transfer the information to your pupil.

About Patrick : he has a gorgeous double axel... so I wouldn't dare to say his axel technique is flawed... He has completely relearned the jump this year and it is much more consistent. It used to be a very good jump for him before he added the quads... so it is most likely a mind game and confidence case rather than a poor technique.

Skater Boy and MAXSwagg, I would like to see your axel technique. Please post youtube videos. Thank you

4everchan, one thumbs-up is not enough so here are some more: :agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

Some people only notice the negatives that they can emphasize to the exclusion of positive facts such as actual undeniable accomplishments. e.g. Worlds and other titles.

mrrice

Record Breaker
From 4everchan "Joanne McLeod has done wonders with Sandhu.... he is a GPF gold medalist ahead of the stars of his era. He had gorgeous 3A btw (you could also check your spelling of names if you want to show more consideration). The fact that Sandhu was not able to always deliver under pressure is not necessarily her fault."

This is completely true! Eman was a good looking young man with a ton of talent. However, I have a feeling due to all of his "Natural" talent, that he may not have been the hardest worker. I remember his SYTYCD partner complaining that Eman was always late.....My biggest pet peeve when I was coaching...:hpull:

Someone once said that Eman was too talented for his own good and I think that was a very accurate statement. He seemed to have a very difficult time focusing. There were times I'd watch him and think he was the greatest thing and then he'd perform like he did at Worlds in 2001. Just a terrible SP followed by an OK LP leaving him to finish in 9th.

This clip is in German but you can see his Back To The Apple SP here. He receives 4's as the Reigning National Champion. That must have been very hard for him to handle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVj4tB3xnTo

Here are Eman and his SYTYCD partner Kim, talking about each other........She says that Emanuel is always late.....he would drive me Bonkers!!!! BTW, How handsome is their choreographer...Holy Cow!! :love:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um8fxKteJNE

Last edited:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Oh, no, no, no, no. Patrick is great at many things but I will not allow his fans to bamboozle others into thinking his Axel is "great". That isn't disrespectful. It's just the truth and over the course of his career, results on that jump prove it. Even when he does land it, it's very uncontrolled in the air.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Oh, no, no, no, no. Patrick is great at many things but I will not allow his fans to bamboozle others into thinking his Axel is "great". That isn't disrespectful. It's just the truth and over the course of his career, results on that jump prove it. Even when he does land it, it's very uncontrolled in the air.

I'm not sure who these fans are but as one of Patrick's biggest fans, I always feel my heart pound when Patrick sets up for his Triple Axel. You know who's Triple Axel I always trusted....Todd Freakin' Elderdge. Height, Distance, and perfect landings 99% of the time. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen Todd fall on a triple Axel. :bow:

BTW......Who says "Bambozzle"........:laugh2:

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
3>1, 2>1, 2 = good, so 2 = 3 = good
:palmf::confused::scratch2::slink:

the point i am making is that if a skater has a good technique on a type of jump, like Patrick's gorgeous 2A, he can teach the axel jump to young athletes.. how many of them will land 3A anyways ? you guys are very shortsighted IMHO

Meoima

Match Penalty
the point i am making is that if a skater has a good technique on a type of jump, like Patrick's gorgeous 2A, he can teach the axel jump to young athletes.. how many of them will land 3A anyways ? you guys are very shortsighted IMHO
Usually they say ladies have gorgeous 2A so... Yes, Patrick's female students might have gorgeous 2A in the future. I'm not sure about his male students with 3A though.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Usually they say ladies have gorgeous 2A so... Yes, Patrick's female students might have gorgeous 2A in the future. I'm not sure about his male students with 3A though.

Here's the thing about Patrick. He's very smart and He's certainly more talented than every coach that's currently working should they have a skate off. ;) I mean, Kathy Johnson doesn't really skate herself does she? I think Patrick would be a great motivator for any student and the fact that he has the skills to demonstrate what he's trying to explain.........Huge Plus!!!

Does SYTCD Canada still exist? If so, Patrick should go on that show.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Before he started including quads in his programs in 2010, Patrick had 2 3As in his LP which helped him win Worlds Silver at age 18. With quads added he started having consistency issue with his 3A. Even then, he still landed them beautifully many times. It's therefore not a technical problem but a mental issue as all the meme about his poor 3A weighed on him each time he approached the jump. For his comeback, he and his coach have reworked the jump such that he is confident enough to include 2 3As again in the LP with 2 quads. His whole performance was subpar for the Worlds LP due to the poor ice condition but at 4CC, he clearly demonstrated he was capable of executing two gorgeous 3As in one program with quads. It was never true that he could not do 3A and it's definitely not true now.

Patrick has done many skating clinics, always very popular events, and he will likely continue doing them. I doubt he will begin coaching full time anytime soon. However, a good coach is not someone who can do everything he teaches, but someone who understands the theory with a keen eye for all the nuances in an individual's execution as well as the ability to communicate the necessary adjustments to the student. Patrick has stated he will likely take courses in those theories. I think with his skills and techniques, experiences, competitive success, he will indeed make a very good coach with the further theoretical knowledge he wishes to acquire. Most young skaters will jump on the chance to learn from him.

Mango

Royal Chinet šŸ‘‘šŸ½ļø
Record Breaker
I think we have to keep in mind some of the history of skating. There were skaters in the 1900s who did jumps never done before. They had coaches too. So you can have a coach help someone learn the technique and physical principles to land a jump which they or anyone in the world may never have landed it. So Patrick may continue to have 3A difficulties, but skaters he may coach could have gorgeous Axels. Besides, I doubt it'll just be him and Kathy at this training centre. If nothing, they can use a harness.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know, Right!!

That was brutal / unfortunate. I'm still laughing :rofl: (thank goodness). I have perfect pitch, and that was painful! But one need not have perfect pitch for that to be painful.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think we have to keep in mind some of the history of skating. There were skaters in the 1900s who did jumps never done before. They had coaches too. So you can have a coach help someone learn the technique and physical principles to land a jump which they or anyone in the world may never have landed it. So Patrick may continue to have 3A difficulties, but skaters he may coach could have gorgeous Axels. Besides, I doubt it'll just be him and Kathy at this training centre. If nothing, they can use a harness.

Excellent Comment Mango!!!! Just like Pamchenko from The Cutting Edge......:laugh2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2uDvt9L4GM

Last edited:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Excellent Comment Mango!!!!

I am sure that Patrick and Kathy, will surround themselves with the best in the business. Can you imagine someone who would not want to accept a call, or work with Patrick Chan in the skating sphere? Me thinks, not. Vancoucer is central for him, ...a west coast city in his beloved country, yet, close enough to Asia Pacific/USA mid and west coast, without exhausting him. I am sure from his many experiences, that he loves the Vancouver vib, and is far and near enough to mom and dad ;)

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I am sure that Patrick and Kathy, will surround themselves with the best in the business. Can you imagine someone who would not want to accept a call, or work with Patrick Chan in the skating sphere? Me thinks, not. Vancoucer is central for him, ...a west coast city in his beloved country, yet, close enough to Asia Pacific/USA mid and west coast, without exhausting him. I am sure from his many experiences, that he loves the Vancouver vib, and is far and near enough to mom and dad ;)

I can't imagine how loudly I would scream if Patrick Chan ever called me. Of course, it wouldn't be like my real scream when Maria Butyrskaya kissed me in 1999. I think that scream lasted for a week. :drama: