Status
Not open for further replies.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Lu/Mitrofanov are no more. Misha is now skating with Hazel Collier and they will appear at Evening of Champions gala in April.
So Elena Bechke knew whereof she was speaking (even if she lives in Russia). The figure skating insider grapevine is a long and far-reaching one, apparently. This is surprising to say the least, and I'm quite late to this news. But honestly, so much is happening in figure skating these days at a constant, rapid rate, and there's not enough serious in-depth outlets to cover all that's happening, much less to make sense of it all! :(

Yes Lu/Mitrofanov kind of lack expression. It's been said before that one or both of them are really into academics and this split rumor has been out there for a while, so I'm not that surprised by a split, but still surprised.

Despite their technical improvements over the years, they had some persistent lifting issues after 6 years together. Audrey grew to be relatively tall for a pair skater (about 5'4") and they were managing it, but only they know what training was like on a daily basis. Audrey originally came from singles and maybe she wants to continue it until college (which would typically start in the summer), who knows.

Ah thanks! This does reasonably explain what the split was all about.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
A couple of retirements were mentioned or implied by our TV commentators yesterday. Do we have any official confirmation on these teams splitting/retiring, so I can list them without the 'unconfirmed' label?
- Moore-Towers/Marinaro (Canada) - both retiring?
- Ziegler/Kiefer (Austria) - both retiring?
- Della Monica/Guarise (Italy) - her retiring?
- Chtetinina/Magyar (Hungary) - him retiring?
- Kops/Krasnopolski (Israel) - him retiring?

Sabine

On the Ice
A couple of retirements were mentioned or implied by our TV commentators yesterday. Do we have any official confirmation on these teams splitting/retiring, so I can list them without the 'unconfirmed' label?
I think all of them have confirmed this in interviews.

LoisAGOEs

Rinkside
Correct all of those are implied or confirmed from interviews. Also Jones/Boyadji confirmed their retirement.

Cain-Gribble/LeDuc, Hase/Seegert, Papadakis/Cizeron, Chock/Bates, Gilles/Poirier are all up in the air. All in the “we’ll see what happens” phase of quotes. With Chock/Bates probably the most likely to continue of that group.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I don't want Smart/Diaz to retire, wanted them to become European medallists 🥺 and they are in their best form!
I’m so glad Svnin/Zhuk and Morozov are keeping their camps merged together as I think it will benefit all of their ice dance teams. I’m intrigued if Shanaeva will stay in the camp given that M/N will be training there. I really love Liza so I hope she stays and doesn’t end up in Zhulin’s camp 😣
I'm guessing that they will continue to represent Russia then :oops: I wonder if K/B or K/A will move to zhulin, although I guess that is more for the coaching changes topic.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So Elena Bechke knew whereof she was speaking (even if she lives in Russia).

Elena Bechke lives and coaches in North Carolina since 2009, she's married to an American and they have two children born in America. She and Denis retired in 2002 after skating in professional competitions and shows for nearly 10 years. I believe that meant they were mostly in North America even since 1992 or so.

Weathergal

Medalist
According to a translation I read of an interview by matchtv.ru, Zoe Jones / Christopher Boyadji are retiring. She said she wouldn't mind continuing to skate - and she's 42, which is amazing! But she understands that Christopher is done and wants to devote himself to coaching. She said she'll continue to coach as well, and their coaching includes her 14-year-old twin daughters Zarah and Zinia.

I think they've brought something special to skating, and I've really enjoyed watching them skate. I wish them a wonderful new chapter in their lives!

surimi

Record Breaker
I am so, so sorry to hear of Satoko's retirement. 😢 I was hoping I could see her skate live yet.
But health comes first, and I guess for her that was the main issue. Her prospects on the Japanese team, and in next season's competitions, were still very good. I've also read that Satoko was an excellent student with great English, so maybe she wants to develop her talents further in that direction, too. Best of luck to you, Satoko, and thank you for your skating! 🌹

surimi

Record Breaker
According to a translation I read of an interview by matchtv.ru, Zoe Jones / Christopher Boyadji are retiring. She said she wouldn't mind continuing to skate - and she's 42, which is amazing! But she understands that Christopher is done and wants to devote himself to coaching. She said she'll continue to coach as well, and their coaching includes her 14-year-old twin daughters Zarah and Zinia.

I think they've brought something special to skating, and I've really enjoyed watching them skate. I wish them a wonderful new chapter in their lives!
Looking forward to seeing Zoe by the boards as a coach ^ ^ And Christopher too.

slider11

Medalist
Yes Lu/Mitrofanov kind of lack expression. It's been said before that one or both of them are really into academics and this split rumor has been out there for a while, so I'm not that surprised by a split, but still surprised.

Despite their technical improvements over the years, they had some persistent lifting issues after 6 years together. Audrey grew to be relatively tall for a pair skater (about 5'4") and they were managing it, but only they know what training was like on a daily basis. Audrey originally came from singles and maybe she wants to continue it until college (which would typically start in the summer), who knows.
This is disappointing! Although their chemistry was not great I thought they were improving with the connection and their technical skills were great. Interesting that Misha already has a new partner which tells me this wasn't sudden. Audrey always had a serious/detached look on her face throughout her performance which detracted from the audience's enjoyment. If she finds a new partner I hope she can find some joy!

litenkyckling

Final Flight
This is disappointing! Although their chemistry was not great I thought they were improving with the connection and their technical skills were great. Interesting that Misha already has a new partner which tells me this wasn't sudden. Audrey always had a serious/detached look on her face throughout her performance which detracted from the audience's enjoyment. If she finds a new partner I hope she can find some joy!
I think the chemistry came down to age - she’s still so young and for some people that part comes later (and I’d rather they focus on getting the tech content in early and focus on the pcs later). I’ve heard that she’s likely going to college instead of competing

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Not official, but on TSL today, Dave mentioned off-the-cuff that Danny O'Shea had a tryout with Olivia Serafini recently (U.S. Pairs), which would mean that Chelsea Liu apparently has decided not to return. That's sad, but she has to think about her health and fully recovering from the concussion she unfortunately suffered. Serafini had split with Mervin Tran early last year.

As we await any official statement, I want to wish Chelsea all the best in her recovery, and in pursuing other life goals. My best to Danny as well. I really hope he is able to return and have success with another partner.

ETA:
So that means there are two promising U.S. pairs partnerships that are no more. Plus, we don't know what K/F and Ash/ Timothy's plans will be moving forward. I hope both K/F and Ash/Timothy will decide to return, but there are other life considerations that matter. Dave Lease is wrong though, to suggest the U.S. won't have pairs teams to send to Worlds and to international events: Calalang/Johnson are surely continuing. Chan/Howe will be able to step right up. Hopefully, Danny will find a good match (there's no word yet on the results of his tryout with Serafini). Misha Mitrofanov is already paired with a new partner. And there are other promising U.S. pairs teams in seniors and in juniors who will surely be excited and motivated about K/F's World championship win.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.