COI Photo - Image Enlargement Experiment | Golden Skate

COI Photo - Image Enlargement Experiment

R.D.

Record Breaker
I was able to get my hands on an original uncompressed (TIFF) file of a photo of a group of skaters at COI (a 1300X1950 7MB image file). I just got this new professional image interpolation program, so I was messing around with it yesterday. (So what is interpolation, you ask? It is the digital enlargement of an image, done typically by stretching pixels and "filling in" blank spaces to avoid the often jagged appearance of digitally enlarged images. That's it in a nutshell, I'm not going to get into technical detail.)

So what I did is I wanted to see if I could get that file larger without having to ask for a higher-resolution sample. I got pretty stunning results, and I want to share my results with you. NOTE: THESE PICTURES ARE UP ONLY FOR A LIMITED TIME

I messed around with SEVERAL other photos as well. I just happened to have this one, and thought it would make things a little more interesting since I'm posting on a skating forum ;)

(Note that I converted all the files to JPEG to make it easier to view online. However, this compromised the quality of the original images a little bit, so just keep that in mind.)

ETA: REMOVED ORIGINAL LINKS, AS SITE SERVER WENT DOWN. HOWEVER, SCROLL DOWN FOR SOME NEW SAMPLES.

I would love to know what you guys think. I've been working with other images, too. In general, a few rules of thumb that I've discovered:

1) The bigger the (original) image, the more effective the interpolation is. So yes, unfortunately this means that this program CANNOT be used to enlarge small images (effectively) on the internet. :frown: However, I've gotten acceptable results enlarging medium quality images. This is what I've discovered so far:

- Absolute minimum resolution necessary to double size of image with minimal loss of quality (assuming all rules of thumb are followed): 800X600

- Absolute minimum resolution necessary to quadruple size of image with minimal loss of quality (assuming all rules of thumb are followed): 2560X1920 (I have quadrupled a 2048X1536 image with very good results, though)

I've gotten a 5MP image up to 78.6MP (that's 10,240X7680) using this method. And it looks pretty good!

2) The image MUST be sharp and in focus for the interpolation to be really effective. If it's not, when enlarged, you tend to lose a lot more detail.

3) Your digital camera must capture a decent amount of detail for the best result. This is where a digital SLR would shine. Now, My Canon Powershot SD550 isn't necessarily the best at this, but nevertheless I can enlarge a decently-exposed picture from it from 7MP (its native resolution) to 28MP with minimal loss of quality.

4) A bigger file size (no matter what the dimensions of the image may be) tends to work in your favor. A bigger file size generally means there's more detail in the image (and it's not as compressed). TIFF files do wonders here- I get better results enlarging TIFF files than JPEG files (usually because interpolation tends to emphasize JPEG artifacts).

Alright. I may be back with more soon...

ETA: CHECK BELOW FOR MORE SAMPLES!!!

Last edited:

milanessa

Rinkside
Maybe I'm doing something wrong - I'm just clicking on your link - but all I get is the same size image. The quality gets progressively worse but the size never changes. :scratch:

gerry

R.D.

Record Breaker
What browser are you using? You need to configure it to display the full image instead of scaling it to the screen.

Try this: If you are using IE, hold your mouse over the image for about a second. Click on the box that appears (should be in the lower right corner) to enlarge the image to 100%.

Don't let the grains on the scaled back image fool you. Zoom in and see what happens.

milanessa

Rinkside
Ah-ha! That worked, thanks. They're huge and the quality is very, very good. The next one needs to be of Alexei Yagudin - :laugh:

gerry

R.D.

Record Breaker
I thought you'd say something about MK :laugh:

But, defying all odds, I actually agree. She somehow stands out from the rest of the bunch IMO.

But be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it. ;)

Last edited:

CDMM1991

Medalist
When I open all the links except for the first one this is what it says. Do you know how long I will have to wait before I try again?

The URL you are using to download this file from has been used from too many different locations. Please wait a while before trying again.

R.D.

Record Breaker
CDMM1991 said:
When I open all the links except for the first one this is what it says. Do you know how long I will have to wait before I try again?

Just a minute- hang on tight. I'll try to fix the links

ETA: The pictures aren't working. :mad: :mad: This really pisses me off.

Last edited:

nicole_l

Final Flight
Oh man, I decided to set the first one as my wallpaper, and Johnny's head got cut off! I have a 1280x1080 resolution.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well folks. Looks like the site is down or something. I deleted all the images in frustration, and I won't be getting them back up any time soon, it seems. :mad: I'll try one last time, and if it doesn't work this time I give up- this is time consuming. Sorry about this. I'll let you know later on.

ETA: Still can't. I'll try again sometime tomorrow. In the meantime, I'll see if I can get the originals up on another site. You will have to PM me for the interpolated versions, since they are so big that they would get chacked by the free image hosting services. Once again, I apologize- this is out of my control- I guess their servers aren't working or something.

Remember that the 2x interpolated versions maintain a high level of quality. The 4x ones are lifesize, but must be viewed from a certain distance to really look good.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
You asked for a lifesize poster of Michelle? Well, here you go...(Cropped from a larger image with Sasha in it- couldn't crop Sasha completely out of the picture as that would cut off MK's arm)

Original image - pretty large by itself (818X2948):

2X Interpolated Image (NOTE that since the original file was a JPEG, you can unfortunately see a few artifacts in this image) - 1690X5901

4X Interpolated Image- now, this is seriously a Godzilla size pic of MK. Dimensions are 3408X12,283. Due to its massive file size, I cannot post this on Imagevenue, but if one is interested in it he/she can PM me. Note that the JPEG artifacts in the second image are magnified even more. But if you can put up with those, it's actually a very clean image.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
More...

Michelle, Irina, Sarah (original, converted to JPEG - 731x915)

Same pic as above, interpolated 3x (2193x2745) and sharpened. The original TIFF of this file managed to preserve a little more quality, unfortunately...

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Another pic of Michelle (a pose). This one is interpolated 2x (2604x4220). Slight quality loss from original due to the enhanced JPEG artifacts (that's why I prefer TIFF images).

R.D.

Record Breaker
And if that wasn't enough...

The US Nationals medallists from (2002?):

Original image- converted to JPEG (735x975)

Image interpolated 2x and sharpened quite a bit:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sasha Cohen pose:

Original (converted from original TIFF)

3x Interpolation Image

CDMM1991

Medalist
Red Dog said:
More...

Michelle, Irina, Sarah (original, converted to JPEG - 731x915)

Same pic as above, interpolated 3x (2193x2745) and sharpened. The original TIFF of this file managed to preserve a little more quality, unfortunately...

Not a good look for Sarah :no: