Compulsory Dance | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Compulsory Dance

herios

Medalist
3rd and 10th for Canada so far... = 13 ... so far. Puts Canada on the bubble for 3 spots at the 'home turf' Olympics. Bet we can figure out who is at home rooting for C&P to hold up. Will be tough with S&B behind them...

You are counting way too early the ducks, lots of movements can happen. Even Carron / Jost are not secure in 9th, because they haven't fared as well with their FD like they do with the CD. Also Cap / Lan can make a move up.
Great debut for Cro / Poi for sure, they did very well.

rosee

On the Ice
Carron / Jost are not secure in 9th, because they haven't fared as well with their FD like they do with the CD

They have changed their FD BTW. They have gone back to Edith Piaf.

Michelle'sFan

Rinkside
I was checking some history on Wikipedia and it seems in recent years (since 2003) the team who won the CD won the title. The exception is 2007 when Marie-France Dubreuil and Patrice Lauzon won the CD but only the silver medal over all.

What do you think the chances of Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin continuing the trend? If a team could beat them who would it be?

Michelle'sFan

herios

Medalist
They have changed their FD BTW. They have gone back to Edith Piaf.

When did they skated this FD ? I haven't seen Carron / Jost before season 07-08, so I am not familiar with it. Good choice to drop their FD because it wasn't working well.

herios

Medalist
I was checking some history on Wikipedia and it seems in recent years (since 2003) the team who won the CD won the title. The exception is 2007 when Marie-France Dubreuil and Patrice Lauzon won the CD but only the silver medal over all.

What do you think the chances of Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin continuing the trend? If a team could beat them who would it be?

Michelle'sFan

Statistics don't mean much in this case. Mainly because (btw I have majored in statistics), to compare statistically samples (in this case events), you have to have comparable parameters. And that is not thec ase right now, because all top 3 teams have had injuries.
One thing is to pull off a CD, and totally different story demading 4 minute program.
Also Domnina / Shabalin historically were the strongest CD skaters of this field and that was the case again last night.

I am going to stay away of predictions at this point.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
When did they skated this FD ? I haven't seen Carron / Jost before season 07-08, so I am not familiar with it. Good choice to drop their FD because it wasn't working well.
I was their 2006-7 FD, and they did very well with it. Here's their performance from 2006 CoC and here it is at Euros in January 2007.

Re predictions, I'll make one: no way will S/B stay all the way down in 13th.

herios

Medalist
I was their 2006-7 FD, and they did very well with it. Here's their performance from 2006 CoC and here it is at Euros in January 2007.

Re predictions, I'll make one: no way will S/B stay all the way down in 13th.

Buttercuo, THANK-YOU :clap::clap::clap:

You get my applause along with Carron / Jost. We haven't seen this team in NA before Skate Canada 2007 and this program is just great.
When you skate on such masterpieces like Edit Piaf chansonette's, you get inspired as well.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The statistics on the CD don't mean much when you consider that all three teams in the top 3 after the CD have been hampered with injuries.

The CD is perhaps the easiest segment for an injured partner to execute well. No complex lifts, no twizzle sections, no stress on injured knees, shins and back.

So I wouldn't be quick to extrapolate a winner based on CD placement. Anything can happen in the OD and FD to upset the applecart.

icedancedevotee

Rinkside
I wouldn't be quick to extrapolate a winner based on CD placement. Anything can happen in the OD and FD to upset the applecart.

I didn't see the competition for myself, and I was hoping that someone who did could tell me how good D/S really were; did they deserve first place? I sound like a conspiracy theorist, I know, but it's seems like they're often at the top when they don't deserve to be. And why are their compatriots, K/N, always ranked below them? What on earth do K/N have to do to beat D/S (and I'm not really a K/N fan--just frustrated for them)?

wushuang122

Rinkside
I didn't see the competition for myself, and I was hoping that someone who did could tell me how good D/S really were; did they deserve first place? I sound like a conspiracy theorist, I know, but it's seems like they're often at the top when they don't deserve to be. And why are their compatriots, K/N, always ranked below them? What on earth do K/N have to do to beat D/S (and I'm not really a K/N fan--just frustrated for them)?

Honestly, D/S deserved 1st last night. And K/N really did not skate well and seemd tight.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I know nothing about ice-dance.

I also have a severe allergy against Canadian skaters, I get these nasty pustules when they get 160 points for technically mediocre performances.

As a German, as a severe franco- and russophile - I love to see European couples on top.

But in my opinion V/M were totally robbed. They were so fast over the ice, so much energy, so much ice coverage. I simply loved it. D/S' dance looked tiny in comparision. Their expression was very pasodoble though. Perhaps the judges didn't like the high-energy level of V/M, perhaps they weren't pasodoble enough for them. But I loved it so much, just the speed was incredible, the edging. B/A were overdone and as tiny as D/S, didn't like them at all. K/N were absolutely mediocre and lackluster. I was disappointed in P/B, they were good but I thought before that this might be a really good dance for them - it wasn't the case, they were just good average.

Kinga

Medalist
I agree with Medusa here. V/M paso was clearly the best. The speed, the extension. But not only this. It had something special to it. I do not enjoy compulsories very much, I can assess the technical side of it to some extent, but complusory performances rarely give me goose bumps (only those really best). V/M paso did. I thought that D/S had some good moves (although technically they were weaker, IMO), but, it did not have anything 'extra', something that is difficult to define. It did not have a superb quality. I would give them 2nd place.
PS I just miss Del/Sch!!! I can just imagine how great their paso would be

~tapdancer

On the Ice
The statistics on the CD don't mean much when you consider that all three teams in the top 3 after the CD have been hampered with injuries.

The CD is perhaps the easiest segment for an injured partner to execute well. No complex lifts, no twizzle sections, no stress on injured knees, shins and back.

So I wouldn't be quick to extrapolate a winner based on CD placement. Anything can happen in the OD and FD to upset the applecart.
I completely agree with this and it's exactly what I would have said. It's only the CD and I think the judging was pretty fair. The longer dances will really tell the tale especially for the injured teams. It's far from over yet!! I don't even want to try and guess the predictions!

Alicja

On the Ice
Although I liked V/M best I do not think they were robbed. Probably the scores should have been a lot closer but to me there's nothing to whine about. All three couples on the very top had their problems, none of them was perfect, so to me it was just the judges' preference of the afternoon.

V/M's pattern was big, super edges and speed but it didn't totally convince me as a paso(expression-wise). But it was certainly very very good.

D/S's pattern was rather small but they had command out there and really got the paso feeling across.

B/A's pattern was also not a big as V/M's. Expression was maybe a little too much but I think that's actually ok for a paso. And they looked perfectly poised out there.

As for K/N they were off timing and there was nothing paso-like to their dance.

Overall, I dislike the Paso. It shouldn't be used at the WCh is a too easy dance to do. I don't think it says all that much about the competition yet, the OD will show us more.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I almost see this result as Linichuk/Karponosov vs. Shpilband/Zueva. Linichuk did an outstanding job with teaching both her teams compulsories. I always got the feeling that CDs were less of a priority for Shpilband. So I do certainly agree that we shouldn't read much into this result.

herios

Medalist
I know nothing about ice-dance.

I also have a severe allergy against Canadian skaters, I get these nasty pustules when they get 160 points for technically mediocre performances.

As a German, as a severe franco- and russophile - I love to see European couples on top.

But in my opinion V/M were totally robbed. They were so fast over the ice, so much energy, so much ice coverage. I simply loved it. D/S' dance looked tiny in comparision. Their expression was very pasodoble though. Perhaps the judges didn't like the high-energy level of V/M, perhaps they weren't pasodoble enough for them. But I loved it so much, just the speed was incredible, the edging. B/A were overdone and as tiny as D/S, didn't like them at all. K/N were absolutely mediocre and lackluster. I was disappointed in P/B, they were good but I thought before that this might be a really good dance for them - it wasn't the case, they were just good average.

Medusa I love you for this post:love:

So let's make peace here, because I am not a biased canadian, as I am european born as well, and I hate when North Americans are trashing Europeans. Therefore, the "160 points" earner is in the doghouse right now with me, because this is not a sportmanship behaviour, and I wish Brian now all the best and hope he does very well:)

But, I said it before and I will say it again, V/M are exceptional. They are learning so fast everything, throw whatever you want to them, they will master it in no time.They literally started training in January, and in 4 weeks with Tessa almost limping, skated to silver at 4CC after just 4 runtroughs in their FD ?

Now this Passo was learned just as quickly and the precision and polish was exquisite. You will lern to love them because I was following them since 4 years ago and their development has been stunning.

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker

Yeah, they were really good. To me, D/S and B/A were the clear top two. Domnina in particular was great. K/N - don't know what they were thinking with that paso interpretation.

I'm going to disagree with the crowd and say that V/M were overscored. Lots of snow flying about, the pattern seemed inconsistent, lots of unison breaks. I wouldn't use the word fast - more like rushed and sloppy.

dancemaster

On the Ice
Yeah, they were really good. To me, D/S and B/A were the clear top two. Domnina in particular was great. K/N - don't know what they were thinking with that paso interpretation.

I'm going to disagree with the crowd and say that V/M were overscored. Lots of snow flying about, the pattern seemed inconsistent, lots of unison breaks. I wouldn't use the word fast - more like rushed and sloppy.
I am happy to read this comment

L'amour

On the Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleada

I am happy to read this comment

I'm happy to hear that to, I'm so gappy for D/S, B/A and D/W...I hpe Tan and Ben :rock: in the OD