Could my blade be twisting my boot? | Golden Skate

Could my blade be twisting my boot?

christy

On the Ice
I got new blades on my boots and since then I've noticed that one of my feet feels like it or the boot is twisted. Initially I thought the problem was the insole and have tried a number of things but nothing helped. I've heard people say that some boots can cause blades to twist (not sure if this is true), but I'm wondering if the blade, which was fitted to the holes from the old blade, is causing the boot to twist?

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Some more info would be helpful:

* Could you describe in more detail what you consider a twisted boot?

* What boot do you have? In particular, what is the sole made of?

* What was the previous blade? What is the current blade?

* On the current blade, how many screws are installed on the sole plate and how many screws are installed on the heel plate? Also specify temp screws (elongated slots) vs permanent screws (circular holes) in the sole plate and heel plate.

I've heard people say that some boots can cause blades to twist (not sure if this is true),

This is definitely possible. As an experiment, I once mounted a worn-out Coronation Ace blade on a worn-out Riedell boot with a leather sole. I intentionally drilled the holes such that the heel plate was slightly out of line with the sole plate. Before I mounted the blade, I used a steel straight edge to verify the blade was straight. I then torqued down the mounting screws. I fully expected either some of the screw holes would strip or material around some of the screw holes would deform, but that the blade would remain straight. After I mounted the blade, I checked it with the straight edge. Surprisingly, the blade was bent (longitudinally bowed from toe to heel). After I demounted the blade, I rechecked it; it was straight again, so no permanent damage in this instance.

christy

On the Ice
I asked the skate tech to check if the blade was true when he sharpened it - think I've asked him 3 times and each time he said it's totally straight.
The boots are Ice Fly, and the blades are Jackson Matrix Elite (old and new), and both are using the same holes. There are 2 screws in the heel (the holes closest to the back of the boot), and there are 5 screws in the front (the two elongated holes, the two at the very front of the blade, and one on the outside next to the front one).
It's very hard to describe the twisted sensation but I'd say that the front of my ankle feels like it is being pulled towards the inside, whilst the back of my ankle feels like it's being pulled to the outside, and the bottom of my heel on the inside is being pushed up and is higher than the outside of my heel. I've tried different insoles, putting them in different positions, etc. but that doesn't make any difference.
These boots were a replacement for a pair that I got when Edea were having problems with twisted heels (you could actually see the twist in the boot), but these were checked and were OK for the first year, before I replaced the blades.
It definitely seems to be getting worse, and when I get on the ice I can't get on an outside edge until I've moved my foot and re-tied the boots several times, and even then it's difficult. I also find that I'm slipping even though the blades are sharp.

Elija

On the Ice
Sounds like the blades aren’t mounted correctly for you. Might take a bit more shifting to get them right, possibly moving them more to the inside of the boot.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It's very hard to describe the twisted sensation but I'd say that the front of my ankle feels like it is being pulled towards the inside, whilst the back of my ankle feels like it's being pulled to the outside, and the bottom of my heel on the inside is being pushed up and is higher than the outside of my heel. I've tried different insoles, putting them in different positions, etc. but that doesn't make any difference.
These boots were a replacement for a pair that I got when Edea were having problems with twisted heels (you could actually see the twist in the boot), but these were checked and were OK for the first year, before I replaced the blades.
If I understand this correctly, you feel the odd fit once you lace up, off ice.

The first step to diagnose your problem would be to demount the blade. If you have the proper screwdriver and know what you're doing, you can do it yourself; otherwise, play it safe, and have your tech do it. Then try the boot on by itself.

If the boot still doesn't fit properly, you have a problem with the boot. It is possible that the boot was permanently deformed by the blade.

If the blade were causing the twist, and if the boot relaxes back to normal, you should feel a better fit. If so, go back to a temp mount (2 screws in the elongated slots in the sole plate; 2 screws in the elongated slots in the heel plate); that is less likely to cause mounting problems. Then go skate and see what happens.

Last edited:

christy

On the Ice
If I understand this correctly, you feel the odd fit once you lace up, off ice.

The first step to diagnose your problem would be to demount the blade. If you have the proper screwdriver and know what you're doing, you can do it yourself; otherwise, play it safe, and have your tech do it. Then try the boot on by itself.

If the boot still doesn't fit properly, you have a problem with the boot. It is possible that the boot was permanently deformed by the blade.

If the blade were causing the twist, and if the boot relaxes back to normal, you should feel a better fit. If so, go back to a temp mount (2 screws in the elongated slots in the sole plate; 2 screws in the elongated slots in the heel plate); that is less likely to cause mounting problems. Then go skate and see what happens.
Sort of, as in no matter what I do the boot doesn't feel quite right when I put it on, but it's when I get on the ice that it feels totally wrong.

I noticed a few extra things today. When I spin I lean / fall to the inside at the back of the blade / in the heel area, and I tried the gliding in a straight line with someone watching me, and I immediately veered to the inside. I tried it several times, even trying to force a straight glide, and no matter how much I tried to go straight I veered to the inside. Getting on to an outside edge on the left foot is almost impossible too. These problems weren't happening 3 months ago, so it seems there definitely a problem with the skate, so I just need to work out where the problem is.

christy

On the Ice
I took some videos to show gliding on left and right blades. As you can see gliding on the right blade is relatively straight (ice was a bit rought) but the left constantly pulls me to the inside. I'm not sure if the sharpening might be an issue as running my fingers down the blade the inside feels fairly dull whilst the right feels sharper.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/9PKpXa6tkkE

Last edited:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I took some videos to show gliding on left and right blades. As you can see glinding on the right blade is relatively straight (ice was a bit rought) but the left constantly pulls me to the inside. I'm not sure if the sharpening might be an issue as running my fingers down the blade the inside feels fairly dull whilst the right feels sharper.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/9PKpXa6tkkE
Before we go any further, did you try demounting the blade, as I suggested in Reply #5?

christy

On the Ice
Before we go any further, did you try demounting the blade, as I suggested in Reply #5?
I did, yes, and the boot felt the same as it does when I initially put it on with the blade, so not a perfect fit but not twisted. As I said before the really twisted foot feeling starts when I get on the ice.
Anyway after checking that the boot didn't feel really twisted when it was demounted I put the blade back on and put a long spirit level against the side of the blade and the blade was straight against the spirit level.

I had the blades sharpened at that time and things felt normal for a couple of sessions then the problems started again, so today I put the blade against the spirit level again and confirmed it was still straight.

Because the problems start when I get on the ice I do wonder if the sharpening is to blame? I just ran my finger down the blade and the outside edge feels sharp and the inside edge feels dull. They have been used for around 8 hours of skating, and the problem does seem to be getting worse.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I took some videos to show gliding on left and right blades. As you can see gliding on the right blade is relatively straight (ice was a bit rought) but the left constantly pulls me to the inside. I'm not sure if the sharpening might be an issue as running my fingers down the blade the inside feels fairly dull whilst the right feels sharper.

Because the problems start when I get on the ice I do wonder if the sharpening is to blame? I just ran my finger down the blade and the outside edge feels sharp and the inside edge feels dull. They have been used for around 8 hours of skating, and the problem does seem to be getting worse.
If the issue is due to sharpening (needs to be confirmed), then that would be consistent with the edges being uneven: the inside edge is significantly higher than the outside edge. That would cause your glide to pull to the inside, and the inside edge to dull faster than the outside edge. Have someone check whether the edges are level (check about 6 spots along the length of the blade). Since you have a Matrix blade, that's a bit tricky to do; so find someone experienced with Matrix.

Let's start there before going further.

christy

On the Ice
The local sharpener does sharpen Matrix blades, but he's not the technical type if that makes sense, so asking him to check if the edges are level isn't really an option. I can research to see if there's anyone else I could drive to as there's no one else in the local area.
Do you think I'd be able to check if the edges are level myself?

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The local sharpener does sharpen Matrix blades, but he's not the technical type if that makes sense, so asking him to check if the edges are level isn't really an option. I can research to see if there's anyone else I could drive to as there's no one else in the local area.
Do you think I'd be able to check if the edges are level myself?
I'll DM you later with a link to a post I have on another forum. It describes my version of an inexpensive DIY edge level checker.

christy

On the Ice
Thank you so much for the DM / information. I'm going to try to get the items suggested and also research to see if there is a more technical sharpener I can visit to have them look at the blades.
Just out of interest, if the blade edges aren't level can the problem be rectified? Blades have been sharpened around 10 times, if that makes a difference.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thank you so much for the DM / information. I'm going to try to get the items suggested and also research to see if there is a more technical sharpener I can visit to have them look at the blades.
Just out of interest, if the blade edges aren't level can the problem be rectified? Blades have been sharpened around 10 times, if that makes a difference.
If you start out with edges that aren't level, a proper sharpening will result in level edges.

christy

On the Ice
If you start out with edges that aren't level, a proper sharpening will result in level edges.
OK, so it may be worth me taking them to another sharpener, mentioning about the problems, then see if the problem is resolved?

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
OK, so it may be worth me taking them to another sharpener, mentioning about the problems, then see if the problem is resolved?
That would make sense only if the other sharpener knows how to check whether the edges are level. But if I understand your previous posts correctly, there's no one in your area that you trust to do that properly; hence, you want to check the edges yourself.

You need to verify whether the edges are level first. If they aren't, you need to find a better sharpener. But if they are, we move onto the next phase of trial corrections.

christy

On the Ice
That would make sense only if the other sharpener knows how to check whether the edges are level. But if I understand your previous posts correctly, there's no one in your area that you trust to do that properly; hence, you want to check the edges yourself.

You need to verify whether the edges are level first. If they aren't, you need to find a better sharpener. But if they are, we move onto the next phase of trial corrections.
OK, that makes sense, as it would probably be a day trip at least, if not more to find someone.

christy

On the Ice
So a few things happened that meant I had the opportunity to visit a different and well recommended sharpener before I was able to check the edges of the blades. I explained that I was having issues, but didn't go into detail as I didn't want to influence their opinion. They checked the boots and blades and immediately said that the left boot was twisted. The boots have had 2 different blades on them with slightly different sole plates but it looks like somehow the same holes were used for both blades on the left boot, but different holes were used on the right boot. Looking back the problems started shortly after getting the new blades and got progressively worse so it looks like the left blade was not fitted properly, and that has caused the boot to twist :cry:

I did ask if it was possible to mount the blade correctly and if that could remove the twist in the boot but because of which holes had been used, and how close the correct mount would be that wasn't an option.

It also appears to mean that the answer to my question is that yes, the blade can cause the boot to twist if it's not fitted correctly.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I did ask if it was possible to mount the blade correctly and if that could remove the twist in the boot but because of which holes had been used, and how close the correct mount would be that wasn't an option.
Where do you find these guys?! You can permanently plug the old holes, and drill fresh holes where needed. But I realize that some techs either can't (don't know how) or won't (time consuming) do permanent plugs; or charge so much that it's not cost effective, depending on the number of permanent plugs needed.

Last edited:

christy

On the Ice
Where do you find these guys?! You can permanently plug the old holes, and drill fresh holes where needed. But I realize that some techs either can't (don't know how) or won't (time consuming) do permanent plugs; or charge so much that it's not cost effective, depending on the number of permanent plugs needed.
🤣 I know what you mean, but these are Edea boots and the plugs would be so close to where the new holes would need to be, so they were worried that the plugs wouldn't hold and I'd end up with a large hole in the sole of the boot. If they were Jackson then they'd have done the plugs without any worry, but not with Edea.