Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Paso Doble

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
For you dance fans out there, which dance or type of dance do you especially enjoy seeing in the OD? Conversely, which one could you do without?

I like the stuff that lends itself to DRAMA -- I loved the Spanish Medley stuff from Salt Lake City. I think Anissina & Piezerat's OD there was some of the most brilliant ice dancing I've ever seen. and I really like the Tango. Even a mediocre one.

I can do without anything that lends itself to excessive perkiness, like the Polka. Some couples are too dang perky as it is without having to interpret that!! Back at the 92 Olympics, I knew, the minute I heard that the OD was going to be the polka, I knew the Duchesnays weren't going to get the gold -- in order for them to win the gold, they would need to win the OD -- and the Duchesnays were never a couple to carry off "perky" at all. Also did not like the Jive from Nagano -- WAY too much hand flapping and sleazy clothing; Lobacheva & Averbukh were exceptionally tacky.

I'm neutral on the Foxtrot/Waltz thing; it was the OD at the 2001 Worlds and I only showed up to see the last 2 flights because I knew the music was going to drive me up the wall if I had to listen to too much of it. Lang/Tchernyshev did a great job with this one, and I gave points to Denkova/Staviyisky for at least attempting to be different, even though I wasn't especially fond of what they did.

Please excuse any omissions in the poll options; my info on available dances is 25 years old and I know there's been some new ones since then and some of them I may not know about.

Pookie

Final Flight
Blues would probably be my favorite. Usova and Zhulin did great blues. Of course, any rhythm Torville and Dean did was great.
Rock/jive would be my least favorite, along with Polka. Too perky, too frantic usually.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Spanish Medley my favorite. Love it!!

Dee

Anything but Swing, Jazz, Rock and Rolls, etc., but i do love a good Blues. For me the Blues flows much better than those aforementioned American dances.

I have no particular favorite of the European, Carribbean, or South American dances but I do enjoy a good rendition of any of them. Forced to choose, I would pick Waltz.

Joe

Olenska

Rinkside
I chose the Rhumba, because it is such a sensuous dance. You can't go too crazy with it, because you'll lose the very spirit of it. When was it last used? I seem to remember it being used in the early 90s?

As much as I usually like these rythms, I'm not to fond of Tango, Paso Doble and Spanish theme, because they give way to campy expression and over-the-top dramatiks.

Also, was it in 92 that Blues was used? I remember the Duchesnays and U/Z doing great ones.

icenut84

Final Flight
Olenska said:
I chose the Rhumba, because it is such a sensuous dance. You can't go too crazy with it, because you'll lose the very spirit of it. When was it last used? I seem to remember it being used in the early 90s?

As much as I usually like these rythms, I'm not to fond of Tango, Paso Doble and Spanish theme, because they give way to campy expression and over-the-top dramatiks.

Also, was it in 92 that Blues was used? I remember the Duchesnays and U/Z doing great ones.

Rhumba was used in 1994, the Olympic year.
I'm not sure about the Blues in 92 - I thought it was polka or something like that?

Olenska

Rinkside
QUOTE]I'm not sure about the Blues in 92 - I thought it was polka or something like that?[/QUOTE]

Maybe it was in 1991? Or maybe I'm confused because of 1993, where both U/Z and G/P had blues free dances?

Antilles

Medalist
I like the swing/jive etc. I like to see fast steps, and since there are so many dramatic FDs, it's a nice change. I like blues, but I don't really like it paired with the other rhythms this year. It's too different, and too much of a change of pace. My favourite jive was A&P in 98.

I also like the latin rhythms. Not the Spanish medley from 2002, but the ones used in 2000. They are also more on the "peppy" side. I do love tango/Spanish medley music, but most skaters seem to take these over the top. Again, loved A&P's rendition in 02. They usually were very dramatic, but actually pulled back in that program, and set themselves apart from everyone else. The one OD I didn't get that year was B&K.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I had to vote for swing/jive. My favorites and evidently not many like them. Actually, I like all of them but would probably put the waltz at t he bottom of the list. Swing/jive were from my time a lot and I still love them.

sk8guard

Spectator
Blues were on 1991..I remember U&Z skating to Summertime and being breathtaking..K&P did Harlem Nocturne, and i think both the Duchesnays and U&Z got a 6.0 for the blues..i think we had two firsts ..i'm not sure about it though..

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I love the blues. T&D's Summertime was great. And I liked the bluesy parts of this year's collection of stuff.

I least like polka. There are about only 2 polka's I ever enjoyed: Rahkamo and Kokko in their Lapland outfits and Winkler and Lohse's polka. All polka music sounds much alike to me and the perky level is way way too high.