Davis and White competing on Dancing With the Stars! | Page 64 | Golden Skate

Davis and White competing on Dancing With the Stars!

buttermilk

On the Ice
For the record, Meryl & Maks have NEVER said they are "just friends". They evade the questions - there's a Glamour interview from the red carpet on Monday that just goes on and on trying to pin them down. Whether they actually are involved or if they just want to tease people, they are not shutting down the idea at all.

I think I know the paparazzi video Caitie is talking about - it's the video of all of the couples coming out of their late-night group rehearsal after the 4/21 show. Maks came out ahead of time and had a private conversation with one of the paparazzi. He was asking the paparazzo to do something for him, and in exchange he says he and Meryl will come over and talk to them. The paparazzi is all, "Of course, you're our man, we won't burn you." People have deduced that Maks was asking the paparazzi not to film he and Meryl leaving in the same car. After M&M talk to the paparazzi, they do appear to be walking over to Maks' car holding hands, but the camera cuts off right at the good part.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
caitie, I went through all the celebs left and check to see what same dances that the paired celebs haven't danced, so here's what I have figured out and so far it seems *fingers crossed* that both dances assigned to the celebs have to be unlearned dances.

We know for the first round: Meryl has Rumba, Charlie has Quickstep, Danica has Tango, James has Viennese Waltz, Amy has Argentine Tango, and Candace has Foxtrot.

Now here's where things get interesting:

Since Meryl & Maks are paired with Val & Danica, as you said these are the unlearned dances that neither Meryl nor Danica have done yet: Paso Doble, Viennese Waltz, Jazz, and Waltz. As long as either of them are NOT doing Jazz then I will be an extremely happy camper especially since Maks & Val have been primarily ballroom trained, but I do hope Meryl and Danica get Paso Doble since it would provide for some great side-by-side dancing for both women, but if not that one then next dance I'd want would be a Viennese Waltz, I love that one so much better than the slow Waltz and that could provide for very lovely side-by-side choreography in American Smooth style; so whatever they're given they'll kill it.

Next Charlie & Sharna are paired with Candace and Mark, so these are the unlearned dances that neither Charlie nor Candace has done yet: Salsa, Waltz, Swing, or Viennese Waltz. Both Charlie and Candace have burned through most of the regular Latin dances so there's not much left, so if they do a another Latin dance it'll be Salsa but if they're given another ballroom dance then it'll probably be Viennese Waltz. The only thing I hope for is that Candace keeps her nerves in check and that Charlie just has fun & doesn't worry about getting that perfect score that will happen when he doesn't focus on it.

Lastly, Amy & Derek are paired with James & Peta, so these are the unlearned dances that neither Amy nor James has done yet: Paso Doble & Jazz. This is gonna be really rough for Amy and James because the problem is that Amy has 4 regular Ballroom dances left, while James has one left and also Amy has burned through most of the regular Latin dances while James has a few more left. Also the problem with Amy's dancing is that Derek has her in hold all the time in their dances & her barely dancing by herself (the most I've seen of Amy dancing by herself was in her Salsa & Jive), so there's no way freakin' way they're doing Jazz since that style practically requires majority side-by-side dancing and nothing in hold. As long as it's the same unlearned dances, then Amy and James will have Paso Doble and with some portions of the Paso there's not always dancing in hold, so I suspect Derek will choreograph his portions with Amy similarily to how he did his & Maria Menounos Paso which was either keeping her in hold, posing & not having her dance so much; but I do think for the portion where Amy is going to have to dance with James, she's gonna have to be kept in hold, and I have no concerns for the sections that Peta will have choreographed for her and James; but the fact that Amy has to be hold majority of the dance is gonna make it harder for James

So that's my analysis on all this but I could be completely wrong, and I do hope that the producers have these Celebrity paired dances as being unlearned dances.

Wow! Great breakdown of the potential dances, Bella -- thanks!! for doing all that checking.

Agree that Derek is likely to stay true to his longtime tendency of using about 5 feet of dance floor and having his partners step-step-pose, step-step-pose. Derek seems like one of the nicest pros on the show and I enjoy watching him dance, but I really wish he would have ALL his partners (not just Amy) dance more rather than being positioned and placed by him. However, he's been wildly successful with this strategy, so there is absolutely no reason in the world for him to change it -- but it can be so tiresome. Perhaps they will end up doing something where Amy and Derek stay in the center and James and Peta move around them? Sounds crazy in a way but I wouldn't be really surprised to see it happen.

Agree a Meryl-Maks/Danica-Val Paso would be riveting. I hope that Charlie-Sharna/Candace-Mark can do something really polished and appealing that will get the judges scores AND the votes. Candace isn't my favorite but she has been surprisingly watchable, and I'm liking the way Mark has really toned down on his "showboating." He really doesn't do it much at all any more, and I've always liked his choreo. Oh, and of course, he partnered Kristi to her win, so yeah, I admit I'm a longtime fan and quite biased toward him.

tulosai

Record Breaker
THis is the Glamour interview

Update: These two were attached at the hip backstage. We're talking holding hands, bodies in sync, smiling at one another when the other is talking. If these guys aren't dating, then either they are the best actors on the planet or General Hospital needs to cast them as their next super couple. Here's what was said when I got the two of them alone:

Glamour: Maks, I mentioned this in my column the other week that we need to see you join Meryl on the ice once DWTS is over.
Maks: No, you don't.
Meryl: Yes, we do.
Maks: No, you don't.
Glamour/Meryl [in unison]: Yes, we do!
Maks: Both of you don't need to see me on ice! Even my mom said, "You two need to do something on ice," and I'm like, "Ma, last time you saw me on ice, I had 10 stitches."
Glamour: Yeah, but you weren't with Meryl.
Meryl: Yeah, I'll protect you.
Maks: All of this? [motions to his body]
Meryl: All of me will protect all of you.
Glamour: Meryl, you said in the rehearsal package tonight that you and Maks "are connecting on a personal level as well."
Meryl: What?!
Glamour: Um, yes, that's exactly what you said. I wrote it down. [Ed. Note: And listened to it twice!]
Meryl: I don't remember saying that.
Maks: I thought you had an amazing memory.
Meryl: Well, just because I said it, doesn't mean...
Glamour: Let me say it this way: Based on the amount of comments and emails I get that pertain to you guys, most viewers want to know if this insane chemistry has translated off the dance floor. So, do you want to set the record straight?
Maks: Sheesh, are we going to be setting the record straight for the next four weeks?
Glamour: Not unless you want to set it straight now.
Maks: I've never enjoyed a season like I do now. You've never heard me say anything personal.
Glamour: Well, yes and no. And I've never covered a season of DWTS more where there has been so much interest in one particular couple.
Meryl: Wow, keep the mystery alive!
Glamour: Whether this is an amazing friendship or something more, it has been a joy to watch you two connect. It's a lesson in human interaction, in patience, and in genuinely loving someone.
Maks: I love her, I do. This is my 24/7 responsibility. This is her show, and she deserves to enjoy this. Her and Charlie deserve to enjoy this. Everybody loves [her], and I want to make sure she benefits from this experience and [loves doing] it.
Glamour: Meryl, do you want to add anything to that? How you've benefitted?
Meryl: Nope. [Smiles]
Maks: We're all benefiting!
Meryl: He's an amazing partner.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Where is stars on ice now? They are heading west at the moment but are they going to make it to the west coast? If they do, the travel will not be as hard as going to new england and the east coast from LA and back.

caitie

Medalist
They're in Chicago and St.Paul/Minneapolis this week IIRC. West coast shows start next week, but at least they are done with the east coast! I bet every hour they can cut from travel time is a blessing.

I think I know the paparazzi video Caitie is talking about - it's the video of all of the couples coming out of their late-night group rehearsal after the 4/21 show. Maks came out ahead of time and had a private conversation with one of the paparazzi. He was asking the paparazzo to do something for him, and in exchange he says he and Meryl will come over and talk to them. The paparazzi is all, "Of course, you're our man, we won't burn you." People have deduced that Maks was asking the paparazzi not to film he and Meryl leaving in the same car. After M&M talk to the paparazzi, they do appear to be walking over to Maks' car holding hands, but the camera cuts off right at the good part.

Yes, that is the gossip I saw. Who knows, tho!

buttermilk
After M&M talk to the paparazzi, they do appear to be walking over to Maks' car holding hands, but the camera cuts off right at the good part.
Haha, yes, the camera does cut off before it's easy to come to a decision about things. Thanks to caitie for sharing with me! :)

I saw that Glamour interview! It was a cute/interesting interview!! And more non-answers. Oh well, I'm just enjoying watching them dance!

Any more word on Amy?

Procrastinator

On the Ice
I really don't know why you guys insist that Meryl and Maks are together. People do this EVERY season and they never turn out to be a couple.

buttermilk

On the Ice
People do this EVERY season and they never turn out to be a couple.
Except when it's Maks. He dated Erin Andrews during their season, and they continued dating for about three months afterwards. He also had a fling with Willa Ford.

Maks gets way up into his partners' personal lives more than any other pro. He thinks it's his responsibility to take care of them and make sure they have a good experience. (I think there's something a bit controlling about it too). So when it's somebody young and single and good looking whom he clearly likes and he's spending all his time with that person for three months...I think it's almost crazy to think there's not something going on.

And people falling for their partners is really, really common. People associated with the show say that it happens behind the scenes all the time, including with married people. Does it last? No.

Enigma256

Rinkside
Look, if they were really having a secret relationship that they wanted to keep secret, don't you think they'd be more discreet than being all close and touchy-feely on DWTS's prime-time camera? It's a Katniss-and-Peeta show (er, first book, at least). And she's had 17 years of experience of doing something similar with Charlie. It's good for piquing fan interest, and potentially, fan support.

lmarie086

Medalist
Look, if they were really having a secret relationship that they wanted to keep secret, don't you think they'd be more discreet than being all close and touchy-feely on DWTS's prime-time camera? It's a Katniss-and-Peeta show (er, first book, at least). And she's had 17 years of experience of doing something similar with Charlie. It's good for piquing fan interest, and potentially, fan support.

This.

buttermilk

On the Ice
I'm trying to imagine how many people's heads would explode if Meryl draped herself over Charlie and snuggled into him and giggled the way she does with Maks. She's NEVER done anything remotely like that with Charlie.

Maks has been touchy-feely with all his partners, even the ones he absolutely couldn't stand. I don't think it's proof of a relationship, but it's certainly not proof there isn't one either.

I'm sort of bummed that Charlie is being paired with Candace (who is the weakest dancer left). I can't decide whether they're trying to set him up as a foil to Meryl for the finale, or if they're preparing his exit. Anyway, all of my votes went to him this week (*fingers crossed*)!

Esopian

Final Flight
I'm sort of bummed that Charlie is being paired with Candace (who is the weakest dancer left). I can't decide whether they're trying to set him up as a foil to Meryl for the finale, or if they're preparing his exit. Anyway, all of my votes went to him this week (*fingers crossed*)!

I think it would be amazing if the final could be Meryl vs. Charlie! ;) If that's what the show is going for, I'm all in; since there are negative comments from the judges, I truthfully hope Charlie doesn't leave before the final. As for Amy, she's at a disadvantage due to her injury. She's an amazing dancer and I hope she makes it for next week.

flickerzuns

Spectator

I believe that as far as we know Candace is the only uninjured female star remaining so that may work in their favor. Meryl supposedly has a broken toe, Danica has a broken rib, and Amy has a rib out of place/muscle spasms. I think the bigger issue will actually be how Sharna and Mark coordinate from the road. I think we can safely assume that Val and Maks can coordinate quite well since they've discussed how much they communicated during the week of the switch.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think what's hurt Candace is not her dancing but her "goody two-shoes" persona. I just don't think she and Mark clicked, either.

Procrastinator

On the Ice
I'm actually kind of scared when I think about candace because I strongly suspect she might be getting the lion's share of the votes. Go on the dwts facebook page and click on any thread and you'll see what I mean. They are all middle-aged/elderly white conservative women.

You all should have seen the hub-bub on the fb page after Peta wore that lingerie thing this week. The best part is that every single elderly commentor tried to preface her derogatory comment with "Now, I'm no prude but..." I literally saw that phrase over thirty times.

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
IThe best part is that every single elderly commentor tried to preface her derogatory comment with "Now, I'm no prude but..."

You mean the way this elderly commenter started my derogatory comment with, "I'm no prude, but....."? For me, it's important to include that caveat because there are people who bash all the costumes on DWtS, stating it's a family show and the dancers should cover up. I think the costumes are part of the fun, and I don't have a problem with them. In my opinion, those people who complain sound like prudes, and I'd rather not be mistaken for one of them. I just don't like the way Peta has to tiny everything down by 1000 and then pull at whatever she's wearing because, God forbid, fabric might have crept up and be covering too much.

Candace has been bashed on Twitter for her beliefs, so she probably has a fan base and a group who wants her off the show because of who she is.

Speaking of Twitter, Len and Carrie Ann are taking a lot of hits because of the way they're scoring Charlie, James and Candace, so it's not just Charlie's fans taking issue with their inconsistency. Charlie has gotten a lot of support from Val, Maks and Meryl, who raved about Charlie and Sharna's dance. And someone posted to Sharna that the judges did the same to Donald Driver, and he went on to win.

I hope some of you are right in saying the judges are trying to garner some votes for him. It would be a shame if he went home before some of the other dancers remaining.

Meryl did say "...we're connecting on a personal level....", which had me laughing my butt off because she said it right after they showed the scene where she accidentally kicked him.....there.

Enigma256

Rinkside
I'm actually kind of scared when I think about candace because I strongly suspect she might be getting the lion's share of the votes. Go on the dwts facebook page and click on any thread and you'll see what I mean. They are all middle-aged/elderly white conservative women.

You think she's getting the Bristol Palin votes?

mintx

On the Ice
Personally, I am ready for Amy to go home. I know I am in the minority but the constant gushing about how "inspiring" she is has gotten old. I wish she would say how much fun she is having. Unfortunately "fun" is Charlie's word so Amy doesn't get to have any.