Davis and White competing on Dancing With the Stars! | Page 65 | Golden Skate

Davis and White competing on Dancing With the Stars!

tulosai

Record Breaker
You mean the way this elderly commenter started my derogatory comment with, "I'm no prude, but....."?

Yeah, I'm really not a prude whether you believe it or not, and I'm also not old and I just didn't think the costume was appropriate. To me, it took it too far. It was literally underwear. Mathman compared it to burlesque but

I've seen burlesque (last summer alone I probably saw 4 different burlesque shows, I really am no prude) and what they did and her costume had no real relation to that IMO. In terms of vibe Burlesque is about the tease. There was no tease. But most importantly, no one in their right mind would take their kids to see burlesque. Indeed, when I go to see it, there are NO kids there and most adults there are quite plainly in their mid to late 20s at a minimum. Like it or not Dancing is on prime time TV and bills itself as a family show. In some parts of the country, it starts at 7pm, a time when kids (even young ones) are quite likely to still be awake. I think that costumes like that have a time and place, and I've seen women performers with way less on at the right time and place and it bothered me ZERO.

On a separate note I just found her costume to be very loud and tacky and wouldn't have loved it even on a burlesque dancer. However, on a burlesque dancer I would not say it was inappropriate.

buttermilk

On the Ice
Anna Trebunskaya and the other dancers on Afterbuzz don't seem like prudes to me, and they had a problem with Peta's costume/dance being on an 8 pm show that kids watch. I agree that it was a little trashy and over the top, but Nene climbing on a shirtless Tony on a bed probably wasn't appropriate for kids either and nobody complained about that.

Personally, I am ready for Amy to go home. I know I am in the minority but the constant gushing about how "inspiring" she is has gotten old. I wish she would say how much fun she is having.
I think it would be a bummer for one of the better natural dancers on the show to have to leave because of injury, rather than letting the contest play out the way it's supposed to. On the other hand, I'm envisioning Amy coming back next week and there are going to be more tears because of her injury, and the judges are going to be spotting her even more points than usual. That might be an even bigger bummer.

noskates

Record Breaker
I agree that it would be not-so-good if Amy outlasted a better dancer - or, said differently, a dancer that could do everything. I'm not tired of her being considered an inspiration because she is. Who would have ever thought that a person without feet could be competing on a dancing show and actually doing pretty well. I'm all kinds of amazed at what she's accomplished but I also think that Derek is making it all possible with his incredible ability to choreograph to a person's strengths.

I didn't like Peta's costume either. It wasn't necessary to the dance IMO. However, there is a group of people on that show that design the costumes - granted with input from the pro - so apparently the producers aren't prudes. :popcorn: I don't find Peta attractive and, by the way, she was Maks' LAST girlfriend. He's gone through the female cast of that show pretty effectively I would say. Once the show is over we'll see how connected he and Meryl are.

But I am glad to see that there is an outcry about the judging because I think it's been very biased since the first show!!!

TMC

Record Breaker
How is Peta going to top that? She'll be wearing a g-string and nipple tassles next week

Yeah, I'm really not a prude whether you believe it or not, and I'm also not old and I just didn't think the costume was appropriate. To me, it took it too far. It was literally underwear. Mathman compared it to burlesque but

I've seen burlesque (last summer alone I probably saw 4 different burlesque shows, I really am no prude) and what they did and her costume had no real relation to that IMO. In terms of vibe Burlesque is about the tease. There was no tease. But most importantly, no one in their right mind would take their kids to see burlesque. Indeed, when I go to see it, there are NO kids there and most adults there are quite plainly in their mid to late 20s at a minimum. Like it or not Dancing is on prime time TV and bills itself as a family show. In some parts of the country, it starts at 7pm, a time when kids (even young ones) are quite likely to still be awake. I think that costumes like that have a time and place, and I've seen women performers with way less on at the right time and place and it bothered me ZERO.

On a separate note I just found her costume to be very loud and tacky and wouldn't have loved it even on a burlesque dancer. However, on a burlesque dancer I would not say it was inappropriate.

I don't know if I'm a prude or not, but I agree with your take on the costume. I've taken life drawing classes where the models who pose wear no clothes at all, and I'm fine with that. But this kind of attire, added to the deafening music and the blinding pyrotechnics onstage, can be off-putting rather than sexy, graceful, or glamorous--for me at least. And there's no call for it, considering how sexy, graceful, and glamorous all the dancers are.

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
I think what we're seeing is more hypocrisy of DWtS. They bill themselves as a family show, but then have Peta in rehearsal telling James he has to rub up against her, Bruno saying it was filthy and dirty and he loved it, Len telling Peta she's overdressed, and Erin Andrews acting shocked because it's a family show, but then highlighting the outfit for the next three minutes. They want it both ways.

The show did Candace no favors by pointing out that she cannot remember her steps during live performances because now we're really noticing that. And I know I'll sound like I wear a tinfoil hat, but I swear they do these things to manipulate votes.

Mathman compared it to burlesque but I've seen burlesque (last summer alone I probably saw 4 different burlesque shows, I really am no prude) and what they did and her costume had no real relation to that IMO.

Oh dear. As an old prude, now I feel like I have to defend my earlier post. :) I said that Peta’s costume was burlesque in the old-fashioned sense of buffoonery.

bulrleque, noun: 1. an absurd or comically exaggerated imitation of something, especially in a literary or dramatic work; a parody. (Italian burla: joke, ridicule, mockery)

I think the American idea of a “burlesque show” featuring a strip tease grew out of over-the-top bawdy comic opera.

Anyway, to me, Peta’s costume was a comic parody of sexy. I think we are in agreement on this point: Gypsy Rose Lee she ain’t. ;)

Last edited:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Anna Trebunskaya and the other dancers on Afterbuzz don't seem like prudes to me, and they had a problem with Peta's costume/dance being on an 8 pm show that kids watch. I agree that it was a little trashy and over the top, but Nene climbing on a shirtless Tony on a bed probably wasn't appropriate for kids either and nobody complained about that.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but the Afterbuzz crew said that they were surprised by Peta's costume, which led them to question why Peta might trying to take attention away from James. They later said that they realized it was because James wasn't really dancing, but people might be less likely to realize it because of that lacy red number. So it was probably a distraction tactic.

They were less harsh on Tony's shirtlessness, yes. But they also questioned (and have been questioning) what DWTS is trying to achieve with this lack of body coverage and the hype around it (the whole #shirton or #shirtoff on Twitter thing).

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm happy looking at a male torso that's finely toned and sculptured. But I'm really sick of the men on DWTS having to take their shirts off for every dance. It's almost kind of silly. What does that add to the dance?

buttermilk

On the Ice
The shirtlessness was really excessive on the Latin Night episode - it's definitely less exciting when everybody's shirtless all the time. I thought the black tuxedos and hats were actually much more sexy.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Maybe it's because I'm a woman, but the shirtless men don't bother me at all. I did find Peta's outfit entirely inappropriate. I suppose enough of her was covered but I don't see how wearing lingerie goes with latin dancing.

caitie

Medalist
I read that James mentioned in his blog that it's the producers who are really pushing for their dances to be super sexy, which I'm sure is the truth. James and Peta were matched up because they had some sort of relationship prior to the show, and that's their story line~ for the season.

noskates

Record Breaker
Hah - mountain out of a mole hill. James and Peta had one date (and IIRC it was with a group) hit it off but he never phoned her again.

buttermilk

On the Ice
Hah - mountain out of a mole hill. James and Peta had one date (and IIRC it was with a group) hit it off but he never phoned her again.
Peta seems a little desperate when it comes to men. She's in the package giving that ridiculous line about how she can't wait to see James at rehearsals, only to have James shut it down with "we're keeping it platonic". And I know she was the one who pursued Maks only to have him dump her like a safe 9 months later. She should be making these guys come to her.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but the Afterbuzz crew said that they were surprised by Peta's costume, which led them to question why Peta might trying to take attention away from James. They later said that they realized it was because James wasn't really dancing, but people might be less likely to realize it because of that lacy red number. So it was probably a distraction tactic.

Dance experts seem to be saying that James has terrible feet. Anything to get us looking somewhere else is a plus. :yes:

They were less harsh on Tony's shirtlessness, yes. But they also questioned (and have been questioning) what DWTS is trying to achieve with this lack of body coverage and the hype around it (the whole #shirton or #shirtoff on Twitter thing).

Tom Bergeron had the best quip of the night about the twitter vote: "This is the moment that social media jumps the shark." :laugh:

belladashwood

Rinkside
Update on Celebrity paired/mini-team dances, got this from @DWTSGossip on Twitter http://t.co/xOOmD3It2n

So, instead of being unlearned dances, for these paired dances it's now being reported that the dances for these celeb pairings will be dances that both celebs paired have already learned. I personally think the producers went with already learned dances so that celebs can show how they've improved since earlier in the competition, give celebs another chance to do over a dance style they didn't do so well in or had crappy music to, and to accommodate Amy & James since they had less of a selection when it came to the same unlearned dances they both had left. So here's my analysis:

Since Meryl and Danica are paired up, here's the same learned dances for both of them: Cha-cha, Samba, Salsa, Foxtrot. I honestly think the dance both of these ladies will be repeating is the Samba, considering Meryl had a crappy song for hers in week 5 and Danica did her Samba back in week 2, and for Samba there can be sections in the dance for side-by-side choreography. So, I think the purpose for this is for seeing Meryl dance Samba to a proper Samba music and also to see how much Danica has improved since week 2, and I can see both of them easily getting a perfect score this.

Next with Charlie and Candace paired up here's their same learned dances: Cha-cha, Contemporary, Rumba, Jive. Well, I could see either of them getting Contemporary or Rumba, I'm leaning that they may get Rumba for a few reasons. First even though both Charlie and Candace did Contemporary in week 1, it's a dance they both did extremely well, and I doubt much improvement will be seen with either of them and the same for how they did with both Jive & Cha-cha as well. Second, since Charlie and Candace both had crappy Rumbas, I could see them both easily doing this dance again especially since it seemed to be their worst dances. Third, Len said he wanted to see Charlie do a proper Rumba back in week 4, and Candace's dance was a Contemporary-Rumba fusion done in week 2 which she got reamed for, so neither of them has done a true proper Rumba. Last, I also think they want to see how both Charlie and Candace have improved since weeks 2 & 4, especially Charlie when it comes to hip action.

Lastly with Amy and James here's their same learned dances: Contemporary, Salsa, Jive. I think they're gonna end up with Salsa because James danced his back in week 2 and Amy did hers during week 4, so I this will be chosen to show how they've both improved since those weeks. I don't see them repeating the Jive or Contemporary because both James and Amy did really well with those styles. Also by doing Salsa then Amy can be kept in hold by James for their section together but not a super strict hold.

So, here's hoping my predictions are right.

Peta seems a little desperate when it comes to men.

This! Yes, Peta does seem desperate when it comes to men.....and whether it's for cameras or not, I couldn't pretend to keep throwing myself at a guy week after week when he acts less than interested 1/2 or more of the time - if we're acting, then it's going to be a two-way street; and he's going to be smitten or at least lustful too. I have too much self respect to look so desperate...

And I agree with the individual that said that he/she'd like to see Amy enjoying herself a bit more if she's going to continue on. This should be a fun experience not one that seems to bring so much strife! :/

And I think my Mother may be right about Candace. I think she gets so stuck on being modest and clean that sometimes she has a hard time performing because she's so preoccupied with worrying about the image she wants to portray.

caitie

Medalist
I'm sort of bummed that Charlie is being paired with Candace (who is the weakest dancer left). I can't decide whether they're trying to set him up as a foil to Meryl for the finale, or if they're preparing his exit. Anyway, all of my votes went to him this week (*fingers crossed*)!

I was thinking about this, and I think the way they have matched everyone is fair. It's a stronger contestant + weak or injured contestant. James is with Amy who is injured, Meryl is with Danica who is injured, and Charlie is with Canadace who is the weakest dancer left in the competition.

I think Meryl and Danica may have it the easiest, though, because they have two male pros whereas the other teams consist of a female celeb/female pro and male celeb/male pro. Meryl and Danica will have an easier time of looking like equals than, say, James and Derek when the couples are dancing together, and Maks and Val will have a lot more control over the overall performance than the female and male pros on the other teams will have.

Enigma256

Rinkside
I was thinking about this, and I think the way they have matched everyone is fair. It's a stronger contestant + weak or injured contestant. James is with Amy who is injured, Meryl is with Danica who is injured, and Charlie is with Canadace who is the weakest dancer left in the competition.

I think Meryl and Danica may have it the easiest, though, because they have two male pros whereas the other teams consist of a female celeb/female pro and male celeb/male pro. Meryl and Danica will have an easier time of looking like equals than, say, James and Derek when the couples are dancing together, and Maks and Val will have a lot more control over the overall performance than the female and male pros on the other teams will have.

I thought that the rumor was that the pairing were drawn out of a hat (literally, too)?