Do you ever get bored with watching same programs after another? | Golden Skate

Do you ever get bored with watching same programs after another?

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I was asked this question by somebody today. How about you ladies and gentlemen, do you? I admit, sometimes yes. Then I just have a break watching but it does not last long. Often GP Finals have been competitions I have skipped because of the feeling "I have seen them all already". But when Euros, worlds and other big competitions are there, I watch them. Usually I don't watch so many smaller competitions during second part of the season as during the first part.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I was asked this question by somebody today. How about you ladies and gentlemen, do you? I admit, sometimes yes. Then I just have a break watching but it does not last long. Often GP Finals have been competitions I have skipped because of the feeling "I have seen them all already". But when Euros, worlds and other big competitions are there, I watch them. Usually I don't watch so many smaller competitions during second part of the season as during the first part.
It depends?. Some programs I can watch a lot of times (and do) but others I just quickly get tired of. Unless I am super invested in competition, I prefer to watch archived version, so I can fast forward

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Yes, if I don't like the program or the music. I'm tired of lyrical dances, in ice dancing, for example.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
I don't watch all the competitions. Sometimes I just follow the results on the ISU competition website.
Generally, I don't get bored watching the same programs because the dynamics of each competition are different.
Plus as the season progresses, I enjoy seeing when a skater's program evolves more and more.

This is off-topic a little bit, but I did get "bored" in the 1990's when skating in the USA was at it's peak popularity.
They used to have these "Pro" competitions all the time (it seemed), and that's when I started to get bored.
It was the same skaters each time performing the same routines. And a lot of these competitions were more or less exhbitions.
So after a while, it all became the same to me.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
yes. I have to confess that once, I was at a rink for a GP and i have no recollection of anything... too much skating in one day... nothing memorable...i got home and on top of that, i got sick... so i blame some virus for that (that was before the current plague) but yeah... a few months later i was trying to remember what i had seen, whom i had seen... blank... yet i still remember pretty well a bunch of other events i have attended

I generally do not get bored seeing a program over and over. Of course if it is a boring program then I get bored seeing it once. For one thing, if we think of a skating event as an athletic contest, then we can be on pins and needles in anticipation of whetehr the performer will land that quad Salchow that we know is coming next, or fall. As for the performance side, I rather enjoy a reprise, like hearing a favorite song one more time.

Then there are the programs that are used so often that they become camp. I am probably the only skatong fan in the world who never got tired of seeing Yuka Sato:love: do "Hatful of Stars" in pro competitions and cheesefects.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For the most part I don’t get tired of the same programs. I was more than done with C/B snake charmer bit. On the other hand I could probably watch Rocketman every day for the rest of my life.

mrrice

Record Breaker
It really depends. I Almost always record the events. I will watch every skater during the broadcast and then rewatch my favorites. Maria's Otonal and Patrick's Take 5 are 2 programs that I have watched hundreds of times.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Depends on the program.
Also depends on the discipline and how closely I follow it. It is easier to get tired and bored if I have little idea what is generally going on here :laugh:

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
If I like the program, I actually find it interesting playing spot-the-difference as the skaters tweak or change choreography over the season, or even if it stays mostly the same so long as they perform it well. And sometimes I'll grow to like a program over the course of the season that didn't initially wow me.

If I immediately dislike a program I'll usually dread it returning and sometimes just not even watch it when it comes on. And occasionally I'll start liking an ok program less because a skater is at a bunch of competitions back to back and I'm just tired of it. I admit I still haven't watched the Pairs Free from Euros because I was already sort of sick of the top three free programs at Russian Nationals and I'm not ready to see them again just yet.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If I like the program, I actually find it interesting playing spot-the-difference as the skaters tweak or change choreography over the season, or even if it stays mostly the same so long as they perform it well. And sometimes I'll grow to like a program over the course of the season that didn't initially wow me.
This is totally true for me, all of it.

If I immediately dislike a program I'll usually dread it returning and sometimes just not even watch it when it comes on. And occasionally I'll start liking an ok program less because a skater is at a bunch of competitions back to back and I'm just tired of it.

I've finally gotten to where if I feel this way in the first 30 seconds of a program, I'll take a break or fast forward. I try to give every skater a chance, but there comes a time when honoring my own taste is more important.

I admit I still haven't watched the Pairs Free from Euros because I was already sort of sick of the top three free programs at Russian Nationals and I'm not ready to see them again just yet.

I was starting to feel that way, but I watched it and was completely thrilled. Still am, with repeats. It helps, watching Ghilardi/Ambrosini at the beginning of the final flight. Then, I'm not very invested in B/K, but it's brilliant to watch their determination to pull up. In this Euros, I suddenly saw Morozov doing much more expression with his movement. It may not be the first time others have noticed. But I usually don't watch him much bc I felt Tarasova did most of the performing. This experience really exhilarated me. I'm wondering if someone on TE or maybe Pavel (those being new to this year) has gotten through to VM somehow. That alone would justify the team (even tho it's a bit annoying to see all what, five or six lined up at every comp?:laugh: )

I felt a bit guilty thinking, well I wonder if watching M/G will be (yawn). But they weren't. It's just fascinating to see them rise to the occasion, rise to the competition, every time. And I see their FS developing little by little, especially with Galliamov's emotion. Very impressive.

@lesnar001 said:
Generally, I don't get bored watching the same programs because the dynamics of each competition are different.

đź’Ż

ETA: And like @mrrice, I'll watch my absolute favorites literally hundreds of times.

Last edited:

viennaskater

Medalist
I don't actually get bored of watching the same programs generally. If I am watching live and one comes on that I know I don't like, I tune out and daydream. If it's a recording, I skip it. There are loads I never get tired of watching.

One interesting thing, though. A few programs which I have not liked for an entire season, I end up liking on the last performance of the season. One example is Bobrova/Soloviev's 'Oblivion' FD at 2018 Olympics. For some reason, I felt they really skated it well and I liked it. This, however, is a rare occurrence.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I felt this way during the heyday of Professional Skating competitions. There were so many of them and they got so ridiculous after a while. I was waiting for something to appear like, US FIGURE SKATING STARS CHALLENGE THEIR MOTHERS AND FATHERS IN AN INTER-GENERATIONAL SKATEOFF FOR THE AGES!

Yes, it got that silly. And the skaters probably would have just done the same programs they had been doing all season, week after week after week, anyway.

:rolleye: