Why do you watch European Championships? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Why do you watch European Championships?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, the judges have chosen their favorites but B/K and T/M clearly do not agree with it and they are close enough so they keep pushing. (And I'm actually praying for M/G not to win that Olympic gold because they are so young and with huge space where to develop artistically. This may not happen though if they win all imaginable medals so early in their career.)
Well, there are precedents. In 1986 a young pair won worlds their first time out, and for a couple of years people debated whether they 'should' or 'were ready' to win the Olympics or even worlds. Gordeeva and Grinkov won as everyone knows. And that win didn't prevent their desire to develop artistically; and they succeeded, with detours and challenges along the way.

Also, Mishina/Galliamov have stated that it's their intention to continue developing their skating artistically and stylistically as well as technically. I believe them. Their candor and sensitivity to each other and others are part of their charm.

Iceangel1960

Rinkside
I watch Europeans because I am European and have always watched it since I first became a figure skating fan, watching John Curry back in the 1970s. The competition has been going for a lot longer than 4 Continents. So I think it is more important to Europeans than 4 Continents is to non Europeans.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I watch Europeans because I am European and have always watched it since I first became a figure skating fan, watching John Curry back in the 1970s. The competition has been going for a lot longer than 4 Continents. So I think it is more important to Europeans than 4 Continents is to non Europeans.
It is a much longer tradition in Europe, yes. I'm not convinced though that EC is currently more important for Europeans than 4CC is for other continents. It is always a big deal for figure skating community. But for the general public, it varies from country to country. There have been ECs with lots of empty seats even before Covid.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
This year, I watched a bit of JGPs and I kind of expected to see some of the participants on the EC entries list because this is the post-Olympic season, you know. But thus far it looks to me that only Adreas Nordeback is making a senior debut on this level... It cam't believe it's only one skater from junior ranks though. Is there anyone else that I didn't notice?

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
This year, I watched a bit of JGPs and I kind of expected to see some of the participants on the EC entries list because this is the post-Olympic season, you know. But thus far it looks to me that only Adreas Nordeback is making a senior debut on this level... It cam't believe it's only one skater from junior ranks though. Is there anyone else that I didn't notice?
There's Adam Hagara from Slovakia, although it's not his debut :)

Simova/Aksenov are indeed making their euros senior debut for Slovakia.
From women, there is Kimmy Repond from Switzerland
Ukraine are sending Sierova/Khobta in pairs and Pinchuk/Pogorielov in ice dance!

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
In ladies Livia Kaiser and Kimmy Repond (Sui), Sofja Stepcenko (Lat), Meda Variakojite (LTH), and Mia Gomez (NOR) competed in JGP this season. There are some others e.g. Janna Jyrkinen (Fin) who have competed in Junior events this season but not the JGP.

In men, Kyrylo Marsak (UKR) also competed in JGP this season.

There are also quite a few who are new to senior competitions this season.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
In ladies Livia Kaiser and Kimmy Repond (Sui), Sofja Stepcenko (Lat), Meda Variakojite (LTH), and Mia Gomez (NOR) competed in JGP this season. There are some others e.g. Janna Jyrkinen (Fin) who have competed in Junior events this season but not the JGP.

In men, Kyrylo Marsak (UKR) also competed in JGP this season.

There are also quite a few who are new to senior competitions this season.
How could I miss Sofia Stepchenko? :bang:
She actually had a quite decent JGP result (just checked).

No idea who is Janna Jyrkinen though. I noticed Nella Peltonen and thought that she might go to EC. Should it mean that inner competition in Finnish women skating is rising again? I remember times when we had 3 Finnish girls in EC...

I'm also wondering what's going on in British men field. Not that I dislike Graham but there are interesting juniors that I would love to see on senior level and maybe pushing the inner competition levels up a bit.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I am looking forward to watching again. Usually on rewatch, because there is work as well. I love it that the fields seem so open this year, and with so many countries having medal chances. And the rise of the Italians, is just great.

icewhite

Record Breaker
I am European, the EC are the most important Championships for me after WC (and Olympics). Russian skaters or not, whatever.
The level may sometimes not be very high apart from the Russians, but I enjoy the variety of the programs, coming from many countries and camps. Also especially the "lesser known" skaters from the Baltics and Scandinavian countries especially do sometimes have more modern programs, as do the French men who I enjoy the most with their great skating skills and fresh choreos. The Hendrickx camp overall is a good adress for nice programs as well.

So basically I am watching this not so much to see who wins but mostly just to enjoy the programs.

Weathergal

Medalist
I am looking forward to watching again. Usually on rewatch, because there is work as well. I love it that the fields seem so open this year, and with so many countries having medal chances. And the rise of the Italians, is just great.

I am European, the EC are the most important Championships for me after WC (and Olympics). Russian skaters or not, whatever.
The level may sometimes not be very high apart from the Russians, but I enjoy the variety of the programs, coming from many countries and camps. Also especially the "lesser known" skaters from the Baltics and Scandinavian countries especially do sometimes have more modern programs, as do the French men who I enjoy the most with their great skating skills and fresh choreos. The Hendrickx camp overall is a good adress for nice programs as well.

So basically I am watching this not so much to see who wins but mostly just to enjoy the programs.
Agree with you both! I'm working now but really looking forward watching replays when I'm off! Not sure I can wait though so I might peek at the results. 🙂

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
This year, I watched a bit of JGPs and I kind of expected to see some of the participants on the EC entries list because this is the post-Olympic season, you know.

Part of the problem is that the event that I like to think of as the "Junior version of Euros, but held within an multi-sport event", the European Youth Olympic Festival, is being held at exactly the same time. So, a lot of the Junior skaters that could have been sent to Euros are busy competing there.

I am so angry that the 2 events are being held at exactly the same time this year. And when I say "exactly", I mean exactly. There was just 15 minutes between the first segment of the EYOF starting, and the first segment of the European Championships starting.

Although the EYOF is usually held around the end of January / start of Febuary, the figure skating competitions don't always clash with Euros. But they do this year.

It's not fair on the fans, who have to choose which to watch. I have opted to watch the EYOF, purely because I am unsure whether the full coverage will get archived (I know Euros will). Otherwise, I would have watched Euros and waited until after the weekend to watch the EYOF.

And it is particularly not fair on the Schaller family, as Sophia is skating in Pairs at the European Championships, while wee sister Flora is skating in Singles at the EYOF. And if both SP segments managed to keep to schedule, there would have been less than 1 minute between Sophia finishing and Flora starting. :eek:

No, this was bad planning on the part of the organisers of the two events. They should have done everything possible to avoid a clash.

CaroLiza_fan

icybear

Medalist
Of course, it is also interesting if there is someone who can challenge Russians for the top places (although those who actually can challenge Russians or elite skaters from other continents often skip this event and, in another year, so do elite Russians).
No elite Russian or other European skaters in recent years has intentionally skipped this event. Euros has always been a prestigious event. I believe you are mistaking this with how top Americans and Canadians feel towards 4cc that the event is somehow beneath them because it is of lesser quality.

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
How could I miss Sofia Stepchenko? :bang:
She actually had a quite decent JGP result (just checked).

No idea who is Janna Jyrkinen though. I noticed Nella Peltonen and thought that she might go to EC. Should it mean that inner competition in Finnish women skating is rising again? I remember times when we had 3 Finnish girls in EC...

I'm also wondering what's going on in British men field. Not that I dislike Graham but there are interesting juniors that I would love to see on senior level and maybe pushing the inner competition levels up a bit.
Janna Jyrkinen is being viewed as the next big name from Finland. She is only 15 but was given a host pick spot for the senior GP in Finland (which is why she didn't compete in JGP this year). She has medalled at a couple of senior ISU events this year. I love Nella Peltonen's skating but I think she may struggle with Janna coming through at pretty much the same time.

Graham Newberry is the only current GB man with the minimum TES for senior Worlds. Edward Appleby has the minimums for Europeans and Junior Worlds but is missing the FP TES for the Senior Worlds. He is the only one with the minimum TES for Junior Worlds and is being sent there. Given the different programme requirements, he is probably best doing either Europeans or Junior Worlds rather than both. Freddie Leggot does not have the minimum for the FP for Junior Worlds and, as he has not competed in any senior ISU events, he does not have the TES for Europeans. Connor Bray and Jedidah Lincoln have not competed in any senior events either.

GB women could get interesting because Natasha does not currently have the minimum TES for Worlds. Kristen Spours and Nina Povey do.

Magill

Record Breaker
Of course, it is also interesting if there is someone who can challenge Russians for the top places (although those who actually can challenge Russians or elite skaters from other continents often skip this event and, in another year, so do elite Russians). And sometimes big joy for a small federation occurs. Which
Can you please name any elite Russian skaters who have recently intentionally skipped Euros cause they felt the competition was not important enough? As for those from other continents, no wonder they do not show up. They are not eligible :)

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
All right everybody, simply consider me wrong and be happy with that because I won't engage into any bold-printed discussions here anyway :laugh:
Just saying.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I haven't watched Europeans in a few years. However, I used to watch it because Maria Butyrskaya was there. I haven't fallen in love with any other skater to the point I became "Obsessed" like I was with Maria. I remember seeing Vanessa Gusmeroli, Elena Liashenko, and Irina Slutskaya and thinking the were all so beautiful.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Janna Jyrkinen is being viewed as the next big name from Finland. She is only 15 but was given a host pick spot for the senior GP in Finland (which is why she didn't compete in JGP this year). She has medalled at a couple of senior ISU events this year. I love Nella Peltonen's skating but I think she may struggle with Janna coming through at pretty much the same time.

Graham Newberry is the only current GB man with the minimum TES for senior Worlds. Edward Appleby has the minimums for Europeans and Junior Worlds but is missing the FP TES for the Senior Worlds. He is the only one with the minimum TES for Junior Worlds and is being sent there. Given the different programme requirements, he is probably best doing either Europeans or Junior Worlds rather than both. Freddie Leggot does not have the minimum for the FP for Junior Worlds and, as he has not competed in any senior ISU events, he does not have the TES for Europeans. Connor Bray and Jedidah Lincoln have not competed in any senior events either.

GB women could get interesting because Natasha does not currently have the minimum TES for Worlds. Kristen Spours and Nina Povey do.
Now I definitely want to see Janna Jyrkinen! If she can really be that good then it's not bad for other Finnish girls at all because more entries in major competitions will be secured because of her good results *sighs at the entry that Latvia could not fill this EC*

Interesting news about GB women, too. But for this I guess we need to wait for WC...

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No elite Russian or other European skaters in recent years has intentionally skipped this event. Euros has always been a prestigious event. I believe you are mistaking this with how top Americans and Canadians feel towards 4cc that the event is somehow beneath them because it is of lesser quality.
I think it's a misconception that they feel the event is beneath them. Many of the top Americans and Canadians skip 4CC because it's usually in Asia, so there are very real issues with adjusting to major time changes. 4cc is between national championships and Olympics or Worlds. The shorter times interfere with recovery time. That's what I've heard (or read) some of the skaters say in interviews.