Does your favourite performance belong to your favourite skater? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Does your favourite performance belong to your favourite skater?

sadya

On the Ice
Country
Netherlands
I'm not a big Hanyu fan, however, one of my favourite programs is the first rendition of his Seimei and I particularly like this performance:
Still watch this sometimes, one of the programs I will go back to every now and then.

Not a big fan of Lambiel, but he did skate some of my favourite programs at the 2005 Europeans and even though he won Worlds with that Arthur program, I didn't like that program that much and was disappointed he had replaced his Truman Show program. I had hoped to see that one skated well:
I enjoyed that SP as well;
I think I watched these programs many many times back then.

Magill

Record Breaker
This will not surprise any of you......Johnny Weir tried but.......Otonal Belongs To Maria Butyrskaya.
Oh, no. Best Otonal, or at least best known by now, is Yuzuru Hanyu's. I know it was made as a tribute but it is one of these cases when the tribute overtakes the original for many, many people. Does it belong to Hanyu? No. Is it a generational thing? Possibly. Still it is probably the most popular version and he set the world records twice with it at the time.
I know popularity is not the most important thing, as it changes in time, nor are the world records, as they get broken, but I am pretty sure it means you simply cannot say Otonal really belongs to anyone the way Bolero does. There were a couple of great versions by exquisite skaters in different times in history, that's all that can be said. As for Torvill and Dean's Bolero, I do not even remember when was the first time I heard about it as a masterpiece but it must have been years before I started to follow the sport on a more regular basis. It was such a revelation that it thundered through the non-skating crowd, too. I do not think you can really compare Butyrskaya's Otonal to it, it is not even nearly that iconic, sorry!

sworddance21

On the Ice
Firstly - I might be the only person who liked Shoma's Bolero?

To the question - most people who read anything I say here on this forum will know that my all time favorite skater is Jason Brown and just about anything he skates, I adore. I think he's magical. However, my favorite performance ever might be Matthew Savoie's 2006 performance of his Misson program that got him onto the Olympic team.

sadya

On the Ice
Country
Netherlands
I like Shoma's Bolero too. It did get some getting used to it though. I think it helps that it's a version of Bolero we don't hear often (I never heard that before anyway).

rabidline

Final Flight
Firstly - I might be the only person who liked Shoma's Bolero?
I like it too. It helps that I do like the Fuji TV version of Bolero he used, which I was familiar with because of watching Japanese Nationals 😆

But for the question, yes, my favorite performance does belong to my favorite skaters. The first one is the one that convinced me singles skating is good, until the results of 2014 Olympics where I just stopped trying to get into the sport (and she stopped skating too):

And the other one is the one that got me back. I still remember spending a lot of nights rewinding the part where the music swells just so before the 3A and the step sequence after and going, wow, I am going back to following this because he made me feel. Just like she did a few years ago.

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
Well, this thread has given some pretty good insight. Seems like most people's favourite program does indeed belong to their favourite skater, or skating pair.

For some reason, I didn't expect the trend would be so strong.

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
My favourite skater is Javier, always will be :love2: and my favourite programs of his are Guys & Dolls, Malaguena and MOLM.
However, there are three programs of other skaters that I'd put on the same level or even slightly above them: Shoma Uno Oboe, Savchenko/Massot La terre vue du ciel (The Olympics performance) and Misha Kolyada's White Crow (the first performance at test skates).