Entries | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Entries

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
OMG!!! Is that a joke? BUt today is neither April 1st nor December 28th... should I believe this???

I had to rub my eyes several times to make sure I wasn't hallucinating Fedor's name on the list; it just seemed too good to be true! I thought, "Somebody pinch me, I MUST be dreaming!!!"

Wouldn't it be cool if Andreev was allowed to start and then e.g. knocks Chipeur a place lower (which is capable of doing) and then Canada loses a spot for the Olympics? Okay, it wouldn't be exactly cool - but one of those ironic moments in life.

Although I'm crossing my fingers that the Canadian men will secure 3 spots, I have to admit that your scenario is freakin' hilarious! If Fedor ever wanted to give SC the middle finger, that would probably be the best way! :agree:

But it would be very cool if Fedor does well for AZE (I am not spelling it out), and I'm sure Siberia will be overjoyed if that's the case!

Azerbaijan is easier to spell than it looks. ;)

Ideally he'll have a good competition here, but I'll take whatever I can get. If he can make it to the LP, that would be reason enough for me to celebrate. :party2:

I for one welcome the opportunity to steal cute NA skaters for our nefarious European purposes :laugh:

:rofl: A part of me is very sad that the sexiest men's singles skater in NA has defected to Europe :cry:, but since this switch will allow Fedor to skate at international events, it's a worthwhile (if painful!) sacrifice.

Do you have to be so realistic and sensible? It spoils all the fun. :frown:

When it comes to Fedor, chuckm always ruins our fun. :sheesh: Yes Chuck, I'm perfectly aware that Andreev hasn't had much success in this sport, but there's nothing wrong with hoping for the best. If people still bother to talk about him despite his lack of accomplishments, then clearly his appeal has very little to do with his actual results. Fedor has numerous admirers, old and new (so it's not just folks with long memories, as you've once said), who enjoy the drama and flair he brings to the ice. The guy has a thread which is now 43 pages long on FSU---no other non-elite skater has that honour. The mere suggestion that he'll be skating at Worlds (and we're not even 100% certain of that yet) under a different flag has caused ripples of excitment. Simply put, there is NEVER a boring moment with him.

I wonder if siberia82 has heard this news yet?

I was so giddy with exhiliration yesterday evening that I couldn't sit still long enough to eat my dinner! :laugh:

I'm sure the uplifting support from siber and all his other fans helped raise Andreev's spirits and drive to continue on competing.

I sincerely hope our birthday card helped in some small way! :)

I am very happy for you - and for me, because I might get the chance to see him live at Euros!

Jeez, if they confirm this I need to find him a place on my banner :scratch:

It's nice to see that you're jumping on the Fedor bandwagon! :thumbsup:

He's certainly making an effort to maximize his skating life.

I'm so glad that he's going to make the most of the time he has left in the sport. GO FEDOR!!! :rock:

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It seems as if most of the Fedor Andreev fans are in his corner because of his good looks. While I think he's probably a much better skater than Daniel Privalov (who represented AZE in 2007 and 2008) and has a better chance to make it to the FS, I think he has little chance of making it anywhere near the top 10. Good looks don't seem to influence judges much.

beep_beep

Medalist
HEY! There is a skater from Brazil on that list! WEEEE!!!! :rock:
I double that !

I watched Kevin's SP at 4CC and he wasn't bad at all. Could improve technically, but he has a nice expression. Don't think he can make it to the FS, but I hope he skates well. And, the last time I checked it, there was a girl skating for Brazil too.

I'm also glad Justin Pietersen (sp?) from South Africa will be there too.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Argentina is in South America but it is not a Latin American country. Not even a North American. It is a misplaced European country.
I must disagree with you there. It's just that our perception of South America is largely shaped by the countries closer to the Caribbean. In fact, Argentina, Chile, and Uruguay - all rather European - make up a huge part of S.A. I'd argue that Argentina is not really European in the same way as Quebec isn't really French - Europe of Argentina and France of Quebec no longer exist on the European continent. There is an interesting chapter in Isabella Alliende's autobiography when she and her compatriots defect to Venezuela after Pinochet came to power, and how they felt out of place there and were regarded as too prim and proper.

In any case, I was not making an argument about Israel being European in culture (that's a point of debate), merely that Israeli skaters skate in the European championships as opposed to 4CC.

zandor

On the Ice
Originally Posted by Joesitz
Argentina is in South America but it is not a Latin American country. Not even a North American. It is a misplaced European country.

The above statement is not correct. The determining factor for a country belongs to Latin America is the official language of the country, which must be derived from the Latin, not the cultural aspect. Most of the South American countries have Spanish as the official language, except for Brazil where we speak Portuguese, French Guiana and Suriname. French, Spanish, Portuguese and Italian are Romance languages. Therefore, it is correct to say that Argentina is Latin America country.

Lightspear

Rinkside

The above statement is not correct. The determining factor for a country belongs to Latin America is the official language of the country, which must be derived from the Latin, not the cultural aspect. Most of the South American countries have Spanish as the official language, except for Brazil where we speak Portuguese, French Guiana and Suriname. French, Spanish, Portuguese and Italian are Romance languages. Therefore, it is correct to say that Argentina is Latin America country.

Sorry - I disagree. By that standard, then most of continental Europe would be part of Latin America then!

When Argentina and England had its dispute over the Malvinas (Falklands), England got the support of the US. Argentina had to beg the other South Americn and Carribbean countries to vote in their favor. It got some, but far from all.

The major nationalities in Argentina are Italian, Spanish, English and German - all large groups of them. There are also a smattering of other Europeans. There are no Afros there, and the native poplulation are minimal.

Israel, as far as I know, has a similar ethnic background from all over the world.

Hiara80

On the Ice

are you brasilian? my mum was born in Brasil in Maringà!

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It seems as if most of the Fedor Andreev fans are in his corner because of his good looks.

It's true that Andreev's looks are part of his appeal, but it's not the only one. If his presentation skills were as dreadful as Kevin Reynolds, nobody would care, least of all me (and I'm known as Fedor's über-fan). When I started watching the sport last year, the very first thing I noticed about Andreev was how he moved across the ice, not how he looked (that only came later). His innate musicality was present when he was as young as 13 years old, and he does have a lovely 3-Axel when he lands it. In other words, he's not just a pretty face. The guy has talent; he just doesn't work hard enough (or at least for this season, he didn't train long enough).

While I think he's probably a much better skater than Daniel Privalov (who represented AZE in 2007 and 2008) and has a better chance to make it to the FS, I think he has little chance of making it anywhere near the top 10.

Probably a better skater than Privalov? :sheesh: Fedor at his absolute worst (2007/2008 Eastern Ontario Sectionals---keep in mind that this was his very first competition after a 3-year absence) has earned better scores than Privalov at his best. I'm sure that's why Azerbaijan prefers Andreev.

Assuming he is granted clearance to compete in time, I'll be content with him making it to the LP (I do recognize that he's a complete nobody on the international scene, so the Worlds judges will be hard on him). However, it's still fun for his fans to speculate what would happen if he had 2 strong back-to-back skates.

Good looks don't seem to influence judges much.

Just because we sometimes joke that Fedor should receive points for his beauty, that doesn't mean we think he actually should. :rolleye: It's called having a sense of humour.

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
You tell them Siberia

With this latest news about our beloved Fedor skating for AZE, my signature finally fits again :D

zandor

On the Ice
Hiara80

Hi , Hiara! I'm brazilian(brasileira):yes: but not from Paraná (state who Maringá belongs), and, yes, of Rio de Janeiro. The city of your mom is very lovely. Are you italian? My grandparents are Italians of Modena.

beep_beep

Medalist
Hiara80

Hi , Hiara! I'm brazilian(brasileira):yes: but not from Paraná (state who Maringá belongs), and, yes, of Rio de Janeiro. The city of your mom is very lovely. Are you italian? My grandparents are Italians of Modena.

Yay ! I was starting to think I was the only brazilian here... Cool :cool:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Skating G-ds hear my cry put him on the World Team and award him a world medal, that will seal his place on the 2010 Vancouver team.

Andreev has as much of a chance at a World medal as I do. :biggrin:

You are correct, by your definition, but not mine. What if an official language is changed? The people and customs are the same.

beep_beep

Medalist
How a discussion of who goes to Europeans and who goes to 4CC ended up on this ?

You are correct, by your definition, but not mine.

Call the anthropologists and Geography books writers !!! :biggrin:
Just curious: what is your definition ? have you ever been to South America ?
And what about Uruguay? And Chile?

What if an official language is changed? The people and customs are the same.

:scratch: I didn't understand that statement.

Buenos Aires, Cordoba and Bariloche (at least these are the cities I've been to, there are probably many others) *are beautiful cities*. Argentina is a beautiful country, has fabulous wines, decent beer, nice ski resorts... But everytime I go there, I never have the feel like I left Latin America (perhaps because I live so close to it). And that is absolutely not a flaw.

Perhaps we should get back to skating...

victoria90

On the Ice
Buenos Aires, Cordoba and Bariloche (at least these are the cities I've been to, there are probably many others) *are beautiful cities*. Argentina is a beautiful country, has fabulous wines, decent beer, nice ski resorts... But everytime I go there, I never have the feel like I left Latin America (perhaps because I live so close to it). And that is absolutely not a flaw.

Perhaps we should get back to skating...

Of course it feels like you never left it, we have that latin thing going on as well as all of the other Latin American countries! I think it all started because here pretty much everyone has an European background, "we descend from ships"(that's what someone, I believe it was a president, said once about us :laugh:).
BTW, you should go to Villa La Angostura and San Martín de Los Andes (my favorite cities :love:) if you have the chance.

It seems like I'm the only Argentinian here :p

Anyway, back to skating... I'm glad there is a Brazilian skater! Love to see South America represented!

zandor

On the Ice
beep_beep
Yay ! I was starting to think I was the only brazilian here... Cool

You are not alone here anymore, beep beep!:rock: I'm so glad to have a green/yellow shirt here! I've read some posts of you and I miss your old avatar with Marcel Stürmer name. He is so cool :cool:and I loved his interviews on tv at panamericans games. I always suspected your nationality was the same as mine.

Joesitz
When Argentina and England had its dispute over the Malvinas (Falklands), England got the support of the US. Argentina had to beg the other South Americn and Carribbean countries to vote in their favor. It got some, but far from all.

Since when the South American countries should support a war just because of one of the countries belong to the same continent? There are several territorial disputes between countries of the region that still cause some disharmony, for instance, Chile / Peru, Argentina / Uruguay (environment conflicts), Chile / Argentina. You need better study the issues on South America ...

joesitz
You are correct, by your definition, but not mine. What if an official language is changed? The people and customs are the same.

Well, even if the language was not derived from the Latin there are other factors leading to the Argentine belong to Latin America, for example, the strong influence of Catholicism in the region, there are not even with such a force in Europe. Moreover, there is a strong sense of Latin American to be independent of race, background etc..

It is better to talk of figure skating...