Entries | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Entries

Hiara80

On the Ice
Hiara80
are you brasilian? my mum was born in Brasil in Maringà!

Hi , Hiara! I'm brazilian(brasileira):yes: but not from Paraná (state who Maringá belongs), and, yes, of Rio de Janeiro. The city of your mom is very lovely. Are you italian? My grandparents are Italians of Modena.

yes i'italian, my grandparents went in Brasil after the war and my mum was born there but i've a lot of relavies who are still living in Brasil

Kinga

Medalist
It seems as if most of the Fedor Andreev fans are in his corner because of his good looks. While I think he's probably a much better skater than Daniel Privalov (who represented AZE in 2007 and 2008) and has a better chance to make it to the FS, I think he has little chance of making it anywhere near the top 10.

Dont worry chuck, I even dont like particularly much the way he looks :)
Plus, no matter how weak the other skater from AZE is, I think it is not fair that Fedorov gets his place. He was skating for Canada and now, just few days before WCh he swoops in and takes someone elses place. He even did not earn it. JMO.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
With this latest news about our beloved Fedor skating for AZE, my signature finally fits again :D

I was wondering if you were going to change it, but I'm sure you feel extremely gratified now for keeping the faith. :agree:

It's the World Championship, it's the show-off time for the skaters, and for the fans!:rock:
↓↓↓

Did you add those arrows on purpose? :p The artwork in your signature is beautiful! :clap: Patrick's exhibition number this season is truly divine. :love:

Plus, no matter how weak the other skater from AZE is, I think it is not fair that Fedorov gets his place. He was skating for Canada and now, just few days before WCh he swoops in and takes someone elses place.

I don't think Andreev actually "stole" Privalov's spot. If you look at the latter's ISU bio, you'll notice that he hasn't skated in any competitions during the 2008/2009 season. Also, the Worlds entry for Azerbaijan intially said "TBA", not Privalov.

Btw, Andreev's first name is Fedor, not Fedorov. ;)

Several of his fans are now trying to buy tickets for the men's event simply because of him, so if Fedor can get more butts in the seats, then his popularity is actually beneficial to the sport, especially now that we're in the middle of an economic recession.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Privalov isn't any more of an Azebaijani than Andreev is--both men were born in Moscow, and Privalov lives and trains in Moscow. Andreev hasn't skated internationally for Canada since the fall of 2003, so he is eligible to skate for another country this season (as long as he is granted citizenship to that country).

Emma Hagieva represented AZE at Europeans 2009, finishing 30th. She also was born in Russia and lives and trains in Moscow. Kristina Shlobina competed at Euros and JW in 2007, neither time making it to the FS; she, too is Russian by birth and lives and trains in Moscow. Daria Timoshenko was the most successful lady skating for AZE: she was 8th at 2005 Euros. She was born in Moscow and skated for Russia through 2000. She represented AZE from 2002-2005.

So it appears that one doesn't have to be Azerbaijani to skate for AZE.

I think that if all his paperwork is in order, Andreev has just as much of a right to skate for AZE as anyone else who is granted citizenship to that country.

What I don't understand is all the raves for Andreev. I've seen the guy skate a few times and I have to say he was underwhelming. He just looked like a skater who was undertrained and not very motivated.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
It seems as if most of the Fedor Andreev fans are in his corner because of his good looks. I think he has little chance of making it anywhere near the top 10. Good looks don't seem to influence judges much.

Don' be too sure ;) Good looks influence us all, even judges, admit it or not. And judges are influenced by the audience that is influenced by good looks :laugh:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don' be too sure ;) Good looks influence us all, even judges, admit it or not. And judges are influenced by the audience that is influenced by good looks :laugh:

Perhaps if the event was in Canada with lots of Andreev fans in attendance that might have some influence. But I don't think a mostly US audience is going to give Andreev the kind of standing ovation Canadian skaters are accustomed to getting when skating in Canada.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
I am sorry to see Fedor Andreev's name off the Entries list.

I have recently seen his skating on YouTube, and it was very good to watch. I particularly loved his Free Skate, although some might prefer the wittiness of his Short Program.

What some may not realize, is that Fedor skated beautifully in the earlier part of his career, before he stopped competing for a while. The problem was that he had trouble with landing the jumps, and in those days, landing all one's jumps was de rigueur. I was sad when he went away, because of the beauty of his skating, not because of the beauty of his face. His mother is a famous choreographer, so perhaps he comes by his grace of motion naturally.

I am glad to see him back, and this time landing his jumps. He is with Brian Orser, the coach of Yu-Na Kim, and a famous skater in his own right. I do not think Brian is a man who wastes his time, and I think his time is well spent on a skater with natural talent like Fedor's. Moreover, Jeff Buttle is doing choreography for him, and Jeff is certainly a skater who knows what competes effectively under CoP. I hope to see more of this team's work, i.e., more of Fedor on the ice, because I purely and simply love the way he skates, and I cannot say that about every skater I have seen standing on a podium.

Last edited:

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Fantastic post, Dodhiyel! :clap: :yes: :thumbsup: :rock:

A fan who attended the practices told us that the announcer said Andreev's name at the start of his allotted time slot and then waited 2.5 minutes before moving on to the next skater. Why on earth would they bother to do that if his name was already removed from the Entries List? :confused:

I don't know if this true or simply a rumour, but someone who knows someone has reported that the ISU cleared Fedor to compete for Azerbaijan, but it was Skate Canada who refused to release him. :eek: :mad: (Perhaps this explains why his name was announced at yesterday's practice?) The "TBC" might be because he was waiting for SC to cut him loose, not because his paperwork was incomplete.

If there's any truth to this, I have to say that it doesn't make much sense to me because SC has nothing to lose by letting Andreev go. :scratch: :unsure: I get the impression that they see him as an aging, wishy-washy skater that they're all too happy to get rid of so that they can make room for the younger guys. He didn't make the National Team, so SC isn't going to send him to any international competitions. Why not set him free and let him explore a different route?

As I've already mentioned earlier in this thread, there is NEVER a dull moment with this guy...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Canada apparently refused to release Leif Gislason to skate for the US as well, which eventually let to the abrupt split of Matthews/Gislason.

If USFS was as intransigent as Skate Canada, there would be no Weaver/Poje. Even US men have been released to skate for Canada in ice dance, but seems there is no quid pro quo.

Last edited:

Tesla

Final Flight
And people complain about USFSA not releasing people. Sounds like Skate Canada is worse.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
If there's any truth to this, I have to say that it doesn't make much sense to me because SC has nothing to lose by letting Andreev go. :scratch: :unsure: I get the impression that they see him as an aging, wishy-washy skater that they're all too happy to get rid of so that they can make room for the younger guys. He didn't make the National Team, so SC isn't going to send him to any international competitions. Why not set him free and let him explore a different route?
Just to play the devil's advocate here - you've got to see SC's side of this as well. They invest resources to develop a skater - only to have the skater turn around and compete for another country. I think they just don't want to continue setting the precedent of it being OK to just use SC's resources and then cut and run. BTW, I get much angrier when federations don't release pair skaters and ice dancers because there people often go abroad not to get a chance they won't get at home but because they have found a partner abroad.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Another factor to consider is that it sounds like maybe Skate Canada doesn't want to let go of their cash cow. Andreev is very popular with the straight female/gay male demographic, also known as the majority of figure skating viewers. Skate Canada losing him would be like the equivalent of Stars On Ice losing John Zimmerman. They sell tickets and get butts in the stands and in front of the television. ;)

This could backfire on Skate Canada though if Fedor decides to stop competing altogether now, which was my immediate thought upon reading this rumor. I certainly hope that doesn't happen, but it's possible. :frown: IF there's any truth to this rumor, I can't think of too many people who would want to willfully play the role of a weak puppet . . . I know I wouldn't.

Last edited:

reaal1

Rinkside
Canada apparently refused to release Leif Gislason to skate for the US as well, which eventually let to the abrupt split of Matthews/Gislason.

If USFS was as intransigent as Skate Canada, there would be no Weaver/Poje. Even US men have been released to skate for Canada in ice dance, but seems there is no quid pro quo.

can we say Tanith Belbin? She is from Canada............