Evaluating USFS world team selection | Page 23 | Golden Skate

Evaluating USFS world team selection

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I also wonder how much better Cain/LeDuc can get... I worry they may have basically hit their plateau early. I would not actually rule out S/B unless it turns out they too just got to an early plateau.

The thing is... whoever gets the Olympic spot has to skate both team event skates. And frankly SK/K vs someone else could mean the difference between a medal or not... or a better medal. So i think they really should send SK/K for the sake of the team event.

Worlds.... we have two spots... we can be more creative there.

Wait. Have Cain/LeDuc even been together a year yet? I don't remember.

But they are still a new team improving very rapidly.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In any event, Vincent, Adam, Josh and all the others should be sending a muffin basket to Jason (I am concentrating on Jason because his was the selection that was doubted. And I don't know how many American skating fans were expecting Nathan to finish 6th. Poor kid, way too much hype, and it's not his fault).

And the rest of us can just watch Jason's glorious performances.

Interesting strategy, try to make the boy fat🥐🍩🍪

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Good lord, people are still talking about Jason being sent to Worlds as controversial? Vincent Zhou shouldn't have placed 2nd at Nationals to begin with; a boring and undeveloped Junior skater who should have been in the 6's on most PCS and yet was given 8's just for having a Quad Salchow.

Interesting strategy, try to make the boy fat🥐🍩🍪

LOL.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Wow I can't believe people are still debating this. Vincent did a great job at JWC. Nathan did a great job at his first WC, handling nerves and boot problems very well. Jason did a great job at his second WC, fully justifying the faith USFS placed in him. It no longer matters what might have been. The US now has 3 spots for the Olympics next year because of the combined efforts of Jason and Nathan.

I do find it really saddening that some people don't seem to appreciate what Jason achieved here, 3-1/2 months after being diagnosed with a stress fracture in his landing leg: he gave two very beautiful performances resulting in new PBs for total score, SP score, SP components, SP TES; highest score for quadless SP ever; and an increase of nearly 24 points over his total score at 4CC.

He's not yet where he wants to be or needs to be with the quads to be a World medal contender. But today, no less a quadmeister than Yuzuru Hanyu gave a shout out to Jason for his performance abilities. He has a lot to be proud of and a lot of potential, and I look forward to following his continuing journey next year.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Here's the thing. A lot of Vincent-pushers were completely disregarding the concept of experience and claiming it would be perfectly fine to send two Worlds rookies to get the three spots back.

Last night Jason soared. Nathan crumbled.

Do not ever tell me that experience doesn't count, because it absolutely does.

If the USFS had sent two rookies, I have all confidence in saying that the US men would only have two spots for next year. But they don't. They have three. Because they sent a more experienced teammate to play foil to the rookie wonderkid.

Please Nathan did not crumble. He came in top six and landed four quads. Jason did not soar; he fell on a quad and skated very well. But in the end I do think sending Jason over Vincent was a wise choice.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Nathan landed 4 quads. Fell on 2. With boots problem. Can someone get karne a dictionary? This one still can't tell who's the weaker one. Doesn't know what crumbling mean. Lord helps this person because it is sad.

jimini

On the Ice
Please Nathan did not crumble. He came in top six and landed four quads.
It's also worth pointing out that Nathan was fourth in the free skate despite losing 10-13 points from the falls alone. Edit: Bodes well for him next year! :)

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Are we honestly having some kind of cat fight over who was the weaker link between Jason and Nathan at the WC? Is it not even possible to take 24 hours to enjoy/celebrate the fact that we have 3 spots? I feel like I've entered some weird and unpleasant alternate universe...

Last edited:

stella luna

Final Flight
Are we honestly having some kind of cat fight over who was the weaker link between Jason and Nathan at the WC? Is it not even possible to take 24 hours to enjoy/celebrate the fact that we have 3 spots? I feel like I've entered some weird and unpleasant alternate universe...

If I am not mistaken, we have three spots for each except for pairs. That's really something to celebrate! Let's hope that can translate into some Olympic hardware.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
All things considered... i thought this thread would be alot happier, full of :hb: balloons, :ghug: rainbows, :party2: unicorns.
Alas... some people are hard to please!!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Right? No other US man would have medaled. No other pairing would have earned us more than 3 spots. Vincent is the JWGM and has all of next season to learn how to cope with the pressure of skating against the best in the world. Everyone should be happy.

slider11

Medalist
could not agree more!:agree:

Should usfs take into account jason's unparalleled ability (for us men) to put butts in seats and attract eyeballs to the screen? I say yes. Even.in.a.sport. Jmo, of course, and others may disagree....

In any event, vincent, adam, josh and all the others should be sending a muffin basket to jason (i am concentrating on jason because his was the selection that was doubted. And i don't know how many american skating fans were expecting nathan to finish 6th. Poor kid, way too much hype, and it's not his fault).

And the rest of us can just watch jason's glorious performances.

amen!

concorde

Medalist
Right? No other US man would have medaled. No other pairing would have earned us more than 3 spots. Vincent is the JWGM and has all of next season to learn how to cope with the pressure of skating against the best in the world. Everyone should be happy.

I just noticed that the JWGM is only guaranteed 1 GP slot. Let's hope USFS works their magic to get him a second.

The USFS did acheive its 3 spots goal but I still fully believe Vincent got short changed.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I just noticed that the JWGM is only guaranteed 1 GP slot. Let's hope USFS works their magic to get him a second.

The USFS did acheive its 3 spots goal but I still fully believe Vincent got short changed.

Vincent will likely get 2 easily cause he's high up on the SB list, because of his JW score. Prior to that he was not guaranteed for any GP spots cause he had a low SB's score, so Junior Worlds was not a waste of his time, at least as far as that.

slider11

Medalist

Agreed! There are so many variables that will go into who actually fiils those spots. I think Ashley Wagner burned her "wild card" option unless she is unbeatable in next year's GPs. She'll have to be in the top 3. However, I think Jason has won some consideration by saving the third spot but he still will need a quad and a decent GP season. The USFSA seems to be backing away from making the Nationals the deciding event but I still think it will have considerable weighting. Poor pairs! Unless something special comes about everyone will be fighting for that ONE spot.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Now that we have 3 spots, and seeing how important having multiple quads are to high placements, the USFSA will (should?) more fully back Vincent and do everything it can to position him as a serious contender.