exhibition gala | Page 2 | Golden Skate

exhibition gala

zeytin

Rinkside
wowww...plushenko was the superstar of the night!!! he skated two brillant programms....and he was so cute, the crowd supported him so much!
i also liked Navka/Kostamarov's programm which was so different and interesting to watch...what a way to say goodbye...also Gru/Gon which i didn't like in competition! it was sad that we won't be able to watch some of these great skaters again competing :(

Engwaciriel

On the Ice
I didn't see Arakawa's program 'til this morning, but it was just beautiful! Her ina bauer almost makes me cry...:eek:

RubyNV

Rinkside
Zhang and Zhang

What happened to Zhang and Zhang? Didn't they skate in the exhibition (perhaps because of Dan's injury)? What happened to T&M? I didn't see them at all on NBC.

Engwaciriel said:
I didn't see Arakawa's program 'til this morning, but it was just beautiful! Her ina bauer almost makes me cry...:eek:
But unforunately NBC blew the camera angle on Shizuka's Ina Bauer both times, and a third time in the replay. In the LP the shot was too much from the back. In the exhibition, the camera cut away to a long distance shot, then in the replay it was too much of a close-up.

In the CBC coverage they got it just right, and it really made me cry.

MM

Engwaciriel

On the Ice
RubyNV said:
What happened to Zhang and Zhang? Didn't they skate in the exhibition (perhaps because of Dan's injury)? What happened to T&M? I didn't see them at all on NBC.

No, they didn't skate coz of her injury. T&M did skate though, before Plushenko, they had some italian music. Didn't leave much of an impression on me, but then I'm not really a fan..

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Tat & Max were shown on NBC... they wore a red wine sort of color... and it looked like her dress was velvet... they skated to Andrea Bocelli (at least that's who it sounded like)

Johar

Medalist
Mathman said:
But unforunately NBC blew the camera angle on Shizuka's Ina Bauer both times, and a third time in the replay. In the LP the shot was too much from the back. In the exhibition, the camera cut away to a long distance shot, then in the replay it was too much of a close-up.

In the CBC coverage they got it just right, and it really made me cry.

MM

You are dead-on, Mathman! I was screaming when they panned too far away during her Ina Bauer, which is the best in the sport, imo. Damn them!

Vash01

Medalist
I too was upset that the camera angle was poor during Shizuka's Ina Bauer. It is such an amazing move. The camera angle was particularly bad during the exhibitions.

The exhibitions felt like commercials that interrupted the ski racing/Bobsled/other winter sports. This is the worst coverage I have seen. It even beats NBC's past coverage of the exhibitions. They chacked the gold medallists in ice dance. Last Olympics at least they showed the ice dance gold medallists late at night (even though they were not in the original exhibitions).

Vash

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Evan skated to Michael Buble's "Sway." :clap:

What did Fumie skate to?

It would have been nice to see Silvia and Carolina skate to represent their home country. I did not enjoy seeing Barbara & Maurizio skate in the gala, after her despicable behavior towards Maurizio during the OD (I haven't forgiven her, sorry). Plus I was turned off by more of their outrageous costumes.

I'm disappointed that several medalists' performances were chacked and that the coverage was so broken up. :no:

Maybe we'll get to see some programs that we missed on today's two hour edition of "Olympic Ice" (from 11 to 1 PM ET).

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
They hardly showed anybody!! All I saw was Plushy, T and M, Sasha, Evan, Johnny (he was marvelous, by the way), Ben and Tanith, Shen and Zhao, the Italian ice dancers, Arakawa, Lambiel (he too was wonderful), and Irina.........42

Joannie was great (shown on Canadian coverage). I think she will medal at Calgary.

They said that Shizuka performed with only one hour of sleep. She was up all night doing interviews for Japanese TV.

MM :)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
show 42 said:
They hardly showed anybody!! All I saw was Plushy, T and M, Sasha, Evan, Johnny (he was marvelous, by the way), Ben and Tanith, Shen and Zhao, the Italian ice dancers, Arakawa, Lambiel (he too was wonderful), and Irina.........42
Show, that's all I got too. I couldn't believe they had such poor coverage for the gala. I loved S&Z, Impossible Dream. They perfomed with so much passion. Sasha was pretty upbeat for her skate.

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think she was clearly disappointed. I don't know if it was just me, but the performance didn't quite have that flair that it had at the 05 Marshall's thingy. JMO

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
CBC showed Kostner, Rochette, Slutskaya, Cohen, Arakawa (You Hold Me Up?), Fusar-Poli/Margoglio, Grushina/Goncharov, Belbin/Agosto, Navka/Kostomarov (1st only), Pang/Tong, Shen/Zhao, Totmianina/Marinin, Buttle, Lambiel, Plushenko (E lucevan le stelle). There were commercials between skaters, but they were broadcast without other interruptions.

Last edited:

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Dee4707 said:
Show, that's all I got too. I couldn't believe they had such poor coverage for the gala. I loved S&Z, Impossible Dream. They perfomed with so much passion.
Dee

OMG, Dee - I started bawling the second I realized what the music was, and didn't stop until they were done. They were just beautiful!
I don't care what color their Olympic medals are. Shen and Zhao are the best.
xoxo
Rave

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ravyn Rant said:
OMG, Dee - I started bawling the second I realized what the music was, and didn't stop until they were done. They were just beautiful!
I don't care what color their Olympic medals are. Shen and Zhao are the best.
xoxo
Rave
I know Ravyn, my thoughts exactly. I said in another thread that in my most humble opinion, they won the gold. I hope they don't retire.

Dee

Dee4707 said:
I know Ravyn, my thoughts exactly. I said in another thread that in my most humble opinion, they won the gold. I hope they don't retire.
I was totally PO'ed at Paul Martini on the CBC coverage of the exhibition. He said something like, "Oh how ironic that they are skating to 'the Impossible Dream.' The Olympic gold medal is an impossible dream that they will never achieve."

I was screaming at the TV, "You imbecile, the impossible dream was Hongbo's courageous recovery from a potential career-ending injury, and how their inspiring dedication to excellence in their sport carried them not only to Torino but to the Olympic podium itself! They conquered every obstacle and achieved the Impossible Dream."

Did you see Shen and Zhao's throw triple? Totmianina and Marinene ought to be embarrassed.

MM :)

Last edited: