exhibition gala | Page 3 | Golden Skate

exhibition gala

And speaking of embarrassing, can someone explain to me just what Navka and Kostamorov were trying to portray? Some kind of native barbarian ritual? Barbarians everywhere should rise up in protest.

Plus, what did all that posing have to do with dancing?

MM

childfreegirl

Final Flight
show 42 said:
They hardly showed anybody!! All I saw was Plushy, T and M, Sasha, Evan, Johnny (he was marvelous, by the way), Ben and Tanith, Shen and Zhao, the Italian ice dancers, Arakawa, Lambiel (he too was wonderful), and Irina.........42

I know, that ticked me off. OI didn't show any more either. Anybody know where I can download the programs?

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Mathman said:
I was totally PO'ed at Paul Martini on the CBC coverage of the exhibition. He said something like, "Oh how ironic that they are skating to 'the Impossible Dream.' The Olympic gold medal is an impossible dream that they will never achieve."

I was screaming at the TV, "You imbecile, the impossible dream was Hongbo's courageous recovery from a potential career-ending injury, and how their inspiring dedication to excellence in their sport carried them not only to Torino but to the Olympic podium itself! They conquered every obstacle and achieved the Impossible Dream." MM :)

Yes! That's exactly it! And that's why it hit me like a freight train. I hope that they tour the US some day. I'd pay top dollar for that ticket, because the thought of never being able to see them skate again is just too sad.
How insensitive (no, wait...how stupid!) of Paul Martini to say that! If you use his "reasoning", Totmianina and Marinin would be "the unbeatable foe". :laugh:
xoxo
Rave

emma

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
I was totally PO'ed at Paul Martini on the CBC coverage of the exhibition. He said something like, "Oh how ironic that they are skating to 'the Impossible Dream.' The Olympic gold medal is an impossible dream that they will never achieve."

I was screaming at the TV, "You imbecile, the impossible dream was Hongbo's courageous recovery from a potential career-ending injury, and how their inspiring dedication to excellence in their sport carried them not only to Torino but to the Olympic podium itself! They conquered every obstacle and achieved the Impossible Dream."

Did you see Shen and Zhao's throw triple? Totmianina and Marinene ought to be embarrassed.

MM :)

Let me just say that I'm so glad I missed that comment...what a courageous pair...I am so grateful they were able to skate, and so appreciative that I got to see them do it!

Vash01

Medalist
zeytin said:
wowww...plushenko was the superstar of the night!!! he skated two brillant programms....and he was so cute, the crowd supported him so much!
i also liked Navka/Kostamarov's programm which was so different and interesting to watch...what a way to say goodbye...also Gru/Gon which i didn't like in competition! it was sad that we won't be able to watch some of these great skaters again competing :(

NBC showed only one of Plushenko's programs and they chacked N&K. It was the worst showing of exhibitions by NBC (or any network).

Vash

Vash01

Medalist
Mathman said:

I was screaming at the TV, "You imbecile, the impossible dream was Hongbo's courageous recovery from a potential career-ending injury, and how their inspiring dedication to excellence in their sport carried them not only to Torino but to the Olympic podium itself! They conquered every obstacle and achieved the Impossible Dream."

Did you see Shen and Zhao's throw triple? Totmianina and Marinene ought to be embarrassed.

That was just Martini's interpretation, which was different from yours. It does not necessarily mean wrong.

I see no reason for T&M to be embarrassed. This is not a throw competition to see who can throw the partner the farthest. T&M have many great qualities and they skated great. How many skaters dare to do their most difficult moves including sbs triple jumps in exhibitions?

S&Z were wonderful. However, I can never forget B&S's skate to Impossible Dream in 1999. To me it bears their signature. Of course that does not mean others should not skate to it.

Vash

Vash01 said:
That was just Martini's interpretation, which was different from yours. It does not necessarily mean wrong.
Paul's interpretation was wrong and mean and cruel. (Mine is right and kind and good, LOL.) :)

elv

Rinkside
It is only for me or all those commentators are so nasty biased and rude?

Vash01

Medalist
elv said:
It is only for me or all those commentators are so nasty biased and rude?

I found the NBC commentators to be very biased, and at times rude and nasty toward the skaters they seemed to dislike.

Vash

Shanti

On the Ice
Mathman said:

It's not hammer throwing competition. It's not distance that matters.
TT/MM throw is one of their signature moves, btw.

perry125

Rinkside
I thought that Plushenko's Tosca to Edvin Martin's(?) violin was the most amazing performance I have ever seen.

zeytin

Rinkside
perry125 said:
I thought that Plushenko's Tosca to Edvin Martin's(?) violin was the most amazing performance I have ever seen.

i really liked it, too...it was one of his best performances...and what about his combination jump in closing ceremony? :rock:

Vitacus

Rinkside
perry125 said:

wow, it was amazing :bow: His second performance was great too and the 3A-3T-3L in the closing ceremony was :rock:

The audience was really screaming for him in the closing ceremony after his two amazing performances and the noise almost muffled Madonna :laugh:

Last edited:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Engwaciriel said:
But Filip Stiller is always so nice and just say positive things when commenting. :p
Is this the skater, Filip Stiller? Did he commentate for Swedish TV? Is he still competing?

R.D.

Record Breaker
I have the following performances, but it's not a tape- they're computer files:

S. Arakawa
I. Slutskaya
E. Plushenko
S. Cohen

R.D.

Record Breaker
I might have B & A and N & K in my coverage somewhere, but I didn't edit a video specifically for them, so I'd have to sort through my coverage to see what I have.

I'm currently doing a mass converting of all my olympic vids so my computer's kind of compromised right now. Can you hang on a couple of days or so?