Exhibitions? | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Exhibitions?

sk8in

Match Penalty
Sotnikova’s whole number and costume and props: what the ****? Tacky!

Davis and White, Yulia: beautiful
I was laughing during this. *** was that? She was like tangling herself in the flag and barely doing any skating. Also was she deliberately two footing her jumps? lol I think I could have recreated like half of that "exhibition" lol.

I am a novice relative to figure skating and much of the music utilized by various olympians. Can someone please help with this question: Watching Bronze Medalist Carolina Kostner perform this evening in the exhibitions, her routine began with what classical music? I have heard the music often but can not find it. Thanks in advance.

Hello, Nick. Carolina skated to Scheherezade by Nikolai Rimsky Korsakov. It's the same piece that Davis/White used for their free dance but in a very different arrangement.

on another topic...Patrick Chan's program was lovely, one of the best things I've ever seen him do. It really brings out his blade skills.

Oh, I hope they show Daisuke!

ETA: Alas, they finished without showing Daisuke. But we did get to see a lot of splendid programs, so I'm satisfied. My favorites by far: Mao's and those of the two two ice dance teams, D/W and V/M.

dardar1126

On the Ice
Looks like Maxim slipped off his toe pick on the death spiral! :eek:

EDIT: Terry just said now the curtain drops on figure skating...so is that IT?!? Are they done?!? :unsure:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
True, but they could cut the meaningless chit-chat and have more time to show more sports AND more figure skating.

You're very kind, but you're settling for crumbs. We serve the full meal. :thumbsup:

dardar, you know that I'm very fond of you, but:

- I would note that much of the "chit-chat" was about skating -- (1) Plushenko, incl. footage of his team skating; and (2) 6.0 vs. CoP.

- And if Lipnitskaia, Pang/Tong, Asada, Kostner, Pechalat/Bourzat, Virtue/Moir, Chan, Hanyu, and Volosozhar/Trankov are "crumbs" -- I am happy to "settle" for crumbs.

And I take it that Kim, Gold, and Davis/White (and others?) were shown in primetime (which I have not seen). They too are some choice crumbs.

Twenty-two Olympian skaters/pairs/couples performed in the gala, and NBC showed at least half of "the full meal" of individual programs (not counting the group numbers). :yes: :)

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I was expecting for something more from V/T. (can't define 'more') They were the last ones to skate and they are also among my favorite skaters so..higher expectations.:slink:

babyalligator

On the Ice

EDIT: Terry just said now the curtain drops on figure skating...so is that IT?!? Are they done?!? :unsure:

That's NBC for you. And I thought it was bad enough that we had to listen to Weir and Lipinski yip yap.

They seem to be, Dardar. Thank goodness they were generous with ice dancers.

figuristka

Medalist
Watched the online version but didn't see them ice dancing really. Yulia and Yuzuru were adorable though didn't really see the other couples.

out4dolo

Rinkside
dardar, you know that I'm very fond of you, but:

- I would note that much of the "chit-chat" was about skating -- (1) Plushenko, incl. footage of his team skating; and (2) 6.0 vs. CoP.

- And if Lipnitskaia, Pang/Tong, Asada, Kostner, Pechalat/Bourzat, Virtue/Moir, Chan, Hanyu, and Volosozhar/Trankov are "crumbs" -- I am happy to have crumbs.

And I take it that Kim, Gold, and Davis/White (and others?) were shown in primetime (which I have not seen). Also some choice crumbs.

Twenty-two Olympian skaters/pairs/couples performed in gala, and NBC showed at least half of "the full meal" of individual programs (not counting the group numbers). :yes: :)

some of us are unable to see the full thing. it would be nice to be able to see the full thing because for whatever reason the stupid stream isn't working everywhere.

that "chit chat" only mentioned plushenko for like 1 minute…the majority of it was not relevant and could have been shown anywhere else.

if the stream was working everywhere, then this is a non issue.

dardar1126

On the Ice
That's NBC for you. And I thought it was bad enough that we had to listen to Weir and Lipinski yip yap.

In the past NBC at least showed all the medalists. But here NO...silver medalists I&K, S&K not shown; bronze medalist Denis Ten not shown; master entertainer Daisuke not shown; S&S not shown....

What gives? :disapp:

out4dolo

Rinkside
In the past NBC at least showed all the medalists. But here NO...silver medalists I&K, S&K not shown; bronze medalist Denis Ten not shown; master entertainer Daisuke not shown; S&S not shown....

What gives?

apparently, we are supposed to just be happy with a stream….a stream that isn't working everywhere.

dardar1126

On the Ice
apparently, we are supposed to just be happy with a stream….a stream that isn't working everywhere.

SERIOUSLY! :scowl: I tried multiple times...either it timed me out prematurely as a guest, or said I was "unauthorized" after I registered at DIRECTV.

EDIT: I misidentified some of the medalists...S&K got silver, I&K and S&S got bronze.

Angryyew

Rinkside
some of us are unable to see the full thing. it would be nice to be able to see the full thing because for whatever reason the stupid stream isn't working everywhere.

that "chit chat" only mentioned plushenko for like 1 minute…the majority of it was not relevant and could have been shown anywhere else.

Normally, I'm not bothered by the little bits in prime time, but I have watched just about everything, other than curling and hockey and I ended up deleting almost everything I recorded from the "live" NBCSN coverage this morning because it was actually a rerun of events from yesterday's live coverage. Thus, it would have been nice if they had broadcast the gala or at least the portions they weren't going to show in primetime/late night, instead showing parallel snowboard slalom for like the fourth time.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

I am in the same boat: I do not have access to the entire gala either -- and of course, I wish I did. Regardless, I am pleased that NBC showed as much as it did.

(Complaining would not make me feel better. YMMV. And the chit chat had three parts; two of them were about skating. ETA, Collinsworth is a football guy -- and he is the one who chose to discuss Plushenko. Repeat: A football guy chose a figure skater as his #1 take-away from the Sochi Games. I'll take it.)

What gives? :disapp:

dardar, did you see the NBC primetime broadcast? I have not seen it.
Whom did NBC show in primetime?

Given that NBC did not show everyone (the underlying issue, of course), it was a no-win situation for them for whom to include or not. NBC did show some great non-medalists, whom I was happy to see: Lipnitskaia; Pang/Tong; Asada; Pechalat/Bourzat.

I was laughing during this. *** was that? She was like tangling herself in the flag and barely doing any skating. Also was she deliberately two footing her jumps? lol I think I could have recreated like half of that "exhibition" lol.

Years ago, Katia Gordeyeva did a lovely pro program with a ribbon used in rhythmic gymnastics. The ribbon is a delicate, narrow piece of cloth that takes a huge amount of skill to manipulate even on the floor, and Katia did a masterful job of keeping it aloft and adrift while she skated. By contrast, these "wings" of Adelina's were large and looked scarily unwieldy, and they didn't add to the grace of the program. She deserves better, because she's a graceful skater. Hope she gets a different exhibition for her appearance at Worlds. (I presume she's going.)

Katia's program:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dbpKolQl9A

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Years ago, Katia Gordeyeva did a lovely pro program with a ribbon used in rhythmic gymnastics. The ribbon is a delicate, narrow piece of cloth that takes a huge amount of skill to manipulate even on the floor, and Katia did a masterful job of keeping it aloft and adrift while she skated. By contrast, these "wings" of Adelina's were large and looked scarily unwieldy, and they didn't add to the grace of the program. She deserves better, because she's a graceful skater. Hope she gets a different exhibition for her appearance at Worlds. (I presume she's going.)

Katia's program:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dbpKolQl9A

Then Champions On Ice had Sasha Cohen do a very similar program after Katia did the Ribbon program in Stars On Ice. I remember the controversies on several boards (all gone the way of the dodo now).

out4dolo

Rinkside
I am in the same boat: I do not have access to the entire gala either -- and of course, I wish I did. Regardless, I am pleased that NBC showed as much as it did.

(Complaining would not make me feel better. YMMV. And the chit chat had three parts; two of them were about skating. ETA, Collinsworth is a football guy -- and he is the one who chose to discuss Plushenko. Repeat: A football guy chose a figure skater as his #1 take-away from the Sochi Games. I'll take it.)

well, this is a forum, and if people want to complain for legitimate reasons, people can. acting like we can't complain when we have reason to is just ridiculous (or is this a communist board and we are not allowed to complain?) While it obviously won't solve anything, it allows people to vent together, which can make people feel better. just cause it doesn't make you feel better doesn't mean it won't make someone else feel better.