"Fighter" Programmes | Page 2 | Golden Skate

"Fighter" Programmes

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
1997 Champion Series' Final

Tanja Szewczenko came to the competition sick with fever, and made some mistakes in the short program to finish in 3rd behind Butyrskaya and Lipinski.

Then, in the long program she pulled the finest performance of her career, landed seven triples, two combinations (I believe her lutz combo was in the middle of the program). Her program was...WOW. The partisan German crowd just went crazy after her free skate. Then Tara Lipinski skated magnificently after finishing second in each of her GP events that year.

Laetitia Hubert that year in Trophee Lalique had a fighter LP. Wow. She was second to Tara, and won the event. Granted, Tara made a lot of mistakes (single loop/single loop combo), but Laetitia was just wonderful. She also had the hometown advantage. Of course, she didn't make the Champion Series Final because she finished 11th (last) at Nation's Cup the week before.

Evdokia

On the Ice
Midori Ito at 1992 OG: only in 4th place after the SP she risked all she had in the free (landed a triple axel:eek: ) and went home with a silver medal.

XPEG

Spectator
How about Michelle's Taj Mahal at 97 Worlds? After a tragic Nationals, and a slip in the World's SP, she skate beautifully and wins the LP.

Not to mention, Taj was just a totaly gorgeous program anyway.

ITA XPEG, and welcome to the forum.

Mathman

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Elivs Stojko - Nagano Olympics - 1998

The courage displayed while performing his long program and winning a silver medal -- not to mention landing eight triples -- on essentially one leg was astonishing.

Elizabeth Manley - 1988 Olympics Calgary - she had the flu and skated from behind all the way to a silver medal.

There are many more "fighter programs," but I am too tired at the moment...will think of more.

Evdokia

On the Ice
And yet another one: Maria Butyrskaja at Euros 1998. Only in 5th place after the SP and than she went out and won her first major title at age 25 with a great performance in the free.