Gambill Moves Training Base to Colo. Springs | Golden Skate

Gambill Moves Training Base to Colo. Springs

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Press release from USFS:

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (May 9, 2018) – Olympic figure skating coach Tammy Gambill will move her training base to the World Arena Ice Hall in Colorado Springs, Colorado, she announced Wednesday.

“I want to be in an environment that includes all of the resources that the Olympic Training Center has to offer,” Gambill said.

“I really enjoyed working with Christy [Krall] and Tom [Zakrajsek] this past season. I am excited about the energy at the World Arena Ice Hall and being around all of its coaches. After the Olympics, I was really motivated to take on this new challenge.”

Gambill, who coached three athletes at the Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018, has coached multiple international medalists in her coaching career. Among her many students are reigning U.S. medalists and 2018 U.S. Olympic Team members Karen Chen and Vincent Zhou.

She had been coaching at IceTown Riverside, California since 1997 and will relocate this summer.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Will this force Karen to leave Mom? Might not be a bad thing...

If Karen is even with her anymore. She's been skating out of the Detroit area where her brother ice dances (currently looking for partner).

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I don’t understand. Has there been any evidence that Karen’s mother has interfered or been bad for her training? Why should she be “forced” to leave her (I mean, I can think of outdated, sexist assumptions about young women who are close to their parents, but I know that couldn’t be the reason to say she needs to be “forced” to “leave Mom”).

And I have no idea where Karen will end up, although I think it would be adorable if she and her BFF Jason ended up training together :)

rnois13

On the Ice
I think she's doing it for Vincent to lessen the stress of going back and forth between his coaches. I hope we hear soon from Karen.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think she's doing it for Vincent to lessen the stress of going back and forth between his coaches. I hope we hear soon from Karen.

I think this is a very wise move. As nice as the weather is out here in California, it's hardly a breeding ground for young skaters. I can see a skater wanting to stay home before they go to college but, after that, I think the facilities and access to the best coaching are vital.

mrrice

Record Breaker

Isn't Karen at an age where she would have left for college anyway if she weren't skating? Plus, if she needs her Mom, they can always move as a family.

tothepointe

On the Ice
I would be surprised if she ends up skating more than one more season. Unless this season is finally the breakthrough season that sticks

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I would be surprised if she ends up skating more than one more season. Unless this season is finally the breakthrough season that sticks

When Karen finally finds some boots that work she will magically become the skater we all know she can be.

The question is when will she find those boots...

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I'm wondering how the Jackson boots are working out for her ...

Seems that everyone is moving to Raf - is that a possibility for Karen too?

I think this is a very wise move. As nice as the weather is out here in California, it's hardly a breeding ground for young skaters. I can see a skater wanting to stay home before they go to college but, after that, I think the facilities and access to the best coaching are vital.

You may want to go back to at least the fifties (to now) and research US champions who have lived a trained in California. ;)

mrrice

Record Breaker
You may want to go back to at least the fifties (to now) and research US champions who have lived a trained in California. ;)

Being from California, I know that several champions are from here. Brian Boitano, Kristi Yamaguchi, and Rudy Galindo just to name a few. I have been to the rink in Artesia where several top skaters train and I can tell you....Nothing here compares to the facilities they have in Colorado. It's the time spent outside the rink that makes California so popular with so many people.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
When Karen finally finds some boots that work she will magically become the skater we all know she can be.

The question is when will she find those boots...

Magically? Not sure about that. Boots problems aren't the only thing holding her back from winning. I mean, she's talented, but still.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Magically? Not sure about that. Boots problems aren't the only thing holding her back from winning. I mean, she's talented, but still.

Sorry, I totally forgot to use my sarcasm tag on that one...

[sarcasm]When Karen finally finds some boots that work she will magically become the skater we all know she can be.[/sarcasm]

Fixed it.:biggrin:

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Speaking of Karen’s boots - today she posted an IG story of new skates - day 1 @jackson.ultima

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Sorry, I totally forgot to use my sarcasm tag on that one...

[sarcasm]When Karen finally finds some boots that work she will magically become the skater we all know she can be.[/sarcasm]

Fixed it.:biggrin:

It's just that I've seen some people talk like she'd be medalling at everything if it wasn't for the boots (not necessarily on GS).

tothepointe

On the Ice
Guess she is back to her old habit of switching boots every few weeks. Honestly, she probably needs a coach that will tell her "I understand that your feet are hurting. I just don't care". In much the way any top-level ballet mistress would if you complained that your pointe shoes hurt.

tothepointe

On the Ice
Being from California, I know that several champions are from here. Brian Boitano, Kristi Yamaguchi, and Rudy Galindo just to name a few. I have been to the rink in Artesia where several top skaters train and I can tell you....Nothing here compares to the facilities they have in Colorado. It's the time spent outside the rink that makes California so popular with so many people.

Yup the rink at Artesia is not even full sized and only has one sheet of ice. Honestly in LA it would be nice if they could build an elite only facility simply to free up some of the ice time for the rest of us schmucks. There is one LA rink I won't go to despite it being 5 minutes away because they allow skaters to practice triples on public ice and that's lose lose for all involved.

The new 4 sheet facility in Irvine is just going to get gobbled up for more hockey.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do not understand all the Karen scorn in this thread:scratch2:

I don’t follow the ladies, and I have no particular fave or not. But all the sarcasm and oh she needs to be away from her parents and oh she needs tough love.:(. I don’t think so, Tim....

Karen may need to figure out what the deal is with her skating and how to increase her consistency, that’s for sure. But no one who reaches her level is some coddled snowflake who just needs to enter some Marine skating boot camp. (Pun intended). And heaven knows she’s shown more maturity about her boot issues than her former supplier. So whatever the choice for her, whether Tammy or no (and I know article says yes) hope it helps her toward her skating goals....