Gambill Moves Training Base to Colo. Springs | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Gambill Moves Training Base to Colo. Springs

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Yup the rink at Artesia is not even full sized and only has one sheet of ice. Honestly in LA it would be nice if they could build an elite only facility simply to free up some of the ice time for the rest of us schmucks. There is one LA rink I won't go to despite it being 5 minutes away because they allow skaters to practice triples on public ice and that's lose lose for all involved.

The new 4 sheet facility in Irvine is just going to get gobbled up for more hockey.

I think that at the new Irvine facility - the 3 hockey-sized rinks will be used for hockey (obviously) and the Olympic-sized rink will be used primarily by Team Raf.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I think that at the new Irvine facility - the 3 hockey-sized rinks will be used for hockey (obviously) and the Olympic-sized rink will be used primarily by Team Raf.

too late for Nathan's 2018 OG:sad21: every time I thought about Nathan's ice time situation during his 2018 OG season, i feel :sad21:

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I guess for Karen - the comments she made re: the Olympics left a negative impression on some - and I think she regretted those comments and later said they were ‘childish’. She has made it to this level, and that obviously must have taken a lot of hard work and grit. But perhaps to reach the next level and to become more competitive and consistent - some feel she needs to develop more mental toughness. And there are her ongoing boot issues which seem to be hindering her - perhaps psychologically as well.
I hope Karen can make some positive changes in her training/coaching/boots issue so she can more fully reach her potential.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I guess for Karen - the comments she made re: the Olympics left a negative impression on some - and I think she regretted those comments and later said they were ‘childish’. She has made it to this level, and that obviously must have taken a lot of hard work and grit. But perhaps to reach the next level and to become more competitive and consistent - some feel she needs to develop more mental toughness. And there are her ongoing boot issues which seem to be hindering her - perhaps psychologically as well.
I hope Karen can make some positive changes in her training/coaching/boots issue so she can more fully reach her potential.

one thing tho, I think Karen is making positive improvement in the summer so far, she is at least taking the initiatives. She tried her best to train whenever she can between breaks during SOI tour and other obligations.

She had her SP done with Rohe, a new and challenging choreo choice for her, and spotted at TCC maybe another program from there.

Look forward to her new seasons' band new programs, I hope Karen can take the challenges and stick to these programs to the end.

shine

Record Breaker
Being from California, I know that several champions are from here. Brian Boitano, Kristi Yamaguchi, and Rudy Galindo just to name a few. I have been to the rink in Artesia where several top skaters train and I can tell you....Nothing here compares to the facilities they have in Colorado. It's the time spent outside the rink that makes California so popular with so many people.
I always thought SoCal was one of the figure skating centrals in the US, with all the elite coaches and all? And I would think ice time is limited everywhere in the US since popularity of hockey >>> FS, anyway. And what happened to Ice Castle at Lake Arrowhead? Didn’t it use to be THE base for some of the worlds most elite back in the days?

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
If Chen does move to Colorado Springs with her coach, she will at least get that boost of endurance just from training so high above sea level.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Guess she is back to her old habit of switching boots every few weeks. Honestly, she probably needs a coach that will tell her "I understand that your feet are hurting. I just don't care". In much the way any top-level ballet mistress would if you complained that your pointe shoes hurt.

She's been in Jackson boots since the drama with avanta and they have been working for her. There still needed to be some adjustments (as usual with hard to fit elites), some people just don't have feet that work with skates, but try their best.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Speaking of Karen’s boots - today she posted an IG story of new skates - day 1 @jackson.ultima

Day 1 for that pair of Jackson's. She's been wearing that brand for a few months now.

tothepointe

On the Ice
too late for Nathan's 2018 OG:sad21: every time I thought about Nathan's ice time situation during his 2018 OG season, i feel :sad21:

I thought Raf already had dedicated sessions at Lakewood already. So I'm not sure that the new facility will be much different. Despite what Raf might want it's still a business and I'm sure they aren't going to cut the rest of the figure skating business in that area out. This last season I saw Adam and Mariah come over to TSC in the afternoon to get some extra sessions in so if ice time was limited I don't see why Nathan wouldn't do the same thing.

tothepointe

On the Ice
I always thought SoCal was one of the figure skating centrals in the US, with all the elite coaches and all? And I would think ice time is limited everywhere in the US since popularity of hockey >>> FS, anyway. And what happened to Ice Castle at Lake Arrowhead? Didn’t it use to be THE base for some of the worlds most elite back in the days?

The rink at Lake Arrowhead closed down. The problem is keeping elite only freestyle ice is not all that profitable if you only have a single ice sheet. It's not like back East where there are 8-10 sheet facilities. Ice hockey is becoming more and more popular in the LA/OC area than it has been in the past.

noskates

Record Breaker
Magically? Not sure about that. Boots problems aren't the only thing holding her back from winning. I mean, she's talented, but still.

Her boot problems are just systematic of other things that need to be corrected and I never thought Gambill was the one to do it. I sincerely hope that Jason Brown doesn't go to Gambill.

musicfan80

Medalist

There was an USOC training center in California, but it’s in Chula Vista, which: 1) was in the San Diego area, 2) was probably a lot smaller than the USOTC in Colorado Springs, and 3) the USOC sold it last year. I think it’s still a training center, but it’s probably privately owned

Her boot problems are just systematic of other things that need to be corrected and I never thought Gambill was the one to do it. I sincerely hope that Jason Brown doesn't go to Gambill.

I don’t know who Jason can go to to improve, but if he is changing coaches, I would send him to Christy Krall. I still don’t know if Jason can technically improve, though. But I agree you on Gambill.
————————

Speaking of Christy Krall, did anyone else, when hearing this Gambill news, get excited about thoughts that Joshua Farris (assuming he is or wants to coach/choreograph full time now) would potentially have more students to do programs with?

concorde

Medalist
The rink at Lake Arrowhead closed down. The problem is keeping elite only freestyle ice is not all that profitable if you only have a single ice sheet. It's not like back East where there are 8-10 sheet facilities. Ice hockey is becoming more and more popular in the LA/OC area than it has been in the past.

Exactly where are those 8-10 sheet facility back East?
The most I know of are 4 at Ice Works in Exton, PA but that is about as far north as I go. Lake Placid only has 3 indoors.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Exactly where are those 8-10 sheet facility back East?
The most I know of are 4 at Ice Works in Exton, PA but that is about as far north as I go. Lake Placid only has 3 indoors.

I’d love to know the same: Ice Works at Aston PA, (not Exton) has 4. Detroit Skating Club has 3 as do others. Most have 3 or 2.

tothepointe

On the Ice
I’d love to know the same: Ice Works at Aston PA, (not Exton) has 4. Detroit Skating Club has 3 as do others. Most have 3 or 2.

The New England Sports Center has 8 large surfaces and 2 mini ones. http://www.nes.com/Images/NESC_Rink_Map.pdf I believe there are other similar facilities. I understand that not every rink is that size but when you say most have 2-3 back East that's still on average a lot large than the single sheet facilities we have in LA. Many of the single sheet rinks in LA are also not full NHL or Olympic sized.

The National Sports Center has 8 https://www.nscsports.org/ though that is in WI so that's probably technically not back east. My point is being in California doesn't offer the greatest facilities and ice time is important for figure skaters.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The New England Sports Center has 8 large surfaces and 2 mini ones. http://www.nes.com/Images/NESC_Rink_Map.pdf I believe there are other similar facilities. I understand that not every rink is that size but when you say most have 2-3 back East that's still on average a lot large than the single sheet facilities we have in LA. Many of the single sheet rinks in LA are also not full NHL or Olympic sized.

The National Sports Center has 8 https://www.nscsports.org/ though that is in WI so that's probably technically not back east. My point is being in California doesn't offer the greatest facilities and ice time is important for figure skaters.

So, one in NE and one in the Mid West have 8, that's definitely not the original claim you made that most back east have numerous rinks in one facility. I've skated all over the world, and California is doing well rink wise, they aren't the worst on the totem pole. YMMV.

concorde

Medalist

So 1 is "alot"? The New England one in "only" 400+ miles from Washington DC. So nice and convenient for me.

tothepointe

On the Ice
Actually, I never said "alot" so don't get salty. Since we are talking about elite skaters who will move if necessary what difference does it make if it's convenient to you personally?

Maybe it was misread as me saying there were eight 10 sheet facility when really I was saying there are facilities back east (i.e not in California) that have 8 or 10 sheets. I never stated there were large facilities in every east coast city. I commented that were much larger facilities than the ones being suggested.

Compared to say the TSC which only has 2 full sized rinks and a smaller "pond". Same thing at Lakewood. Relative to our population size it's not a lot but relative to the outdoor temperature and popularity it's probably about right. Though it looks like we may lose Pickwick in the next couple of years. Which will leave most of the rinks in the Beach Cities and Orange County.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chen will go to Colo. to continue to train, along with several other students, under Gambill. #TeamBroadmoor

....although as we all know, changes can take place from day to day!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
There was an USOC training center in California, but it’s in Chula Vista, which: 1) was in the San Diego area, 2) was probably a lot smaller than the USOTC in Colorado Springs, and 3) the USOC sold it last year. I think it’s still a training center, but it’s probably privately owned ...

Belated reply to this off-topic ;) topic:

The Chula Vista Elite Athlete Training Center (CVTC) launched on Jan. 1, 2017, under new ownership and operation. Ownership of the former Chula Vista Olympic Training Center was transferred to the City of Chula Vista from the United States Olympic Committee. ...

As part of the ownership transfer, the USOC will continue funding athlete programing at the center at a minimum through 2020, while also retaining the sports medicine clinic and offering on-site sport service providers. ...

Chula Vista Elite Athlete Training Center is now designated as a U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Training Site, joining a list of 18 Training Sites, including Olympic and Paralympic Games host sites, universities, and elite sport complexes. The mission of U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Training Sites is to provide athletes and National Governing Bodies with access to additional resources, services and facilities, while providing an elite athlete training environment that positively impacts performance. ...

https://www.teamusa.org/Media/News/...ning-Center-Under-New-Ownership-and-Operation

FWIW: CVTC is 155 acres. The Colorado Springs OTC is 35 acres.
[Acreage being only one way of looking at "size," of course.]

Only my speculation and/or wishful thinking, but I wonder whether USFS figure skaters at the new complex in Irvine (supposedly opening soon) will use resources at Chula Vista??
Perhaps not on a daily basis, but some usage does not seem unthinkable, IMO.

(World Arena Ice Hall in Colorado Springs is another U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Training Site. The full list: https://www.teamusa.org/About-the-USOC/In-the-Community/Training-Sites)