General Information: Olympic Figure Skating Individual Events | Page 3 | Golden Skate

General Information: Olympic Figure Skating Individual Events

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
What options are there for me to watch Olympics figure skating? I'm not in the US or Europe and I imagine TV coverage will be limited in NZ, though I did watch some ice dance at the last Olympics with commentary by some Australian lady with a thick accent (sorry, Aussies, I speak the Queen's Englishđź‘‘). I do have a VPN and would prefer to watch on demand when I have time. Any ideas?
According to this pdf linked in this thread, "Sky Sports" is supposed to cover it. As you can see, Broadcasters around the world pay big bucks to have the rights to broadcast the Olys....I would be interested in a cultural sense if Sky Sports chose to NOT broadcast the skating part....
What options are there for me to watch Olympics figure skating? I'm not in the US or Europe and I imagine TV coverage will be limited in NZ, though I did watch some ice dance at the last Olympics with commentary by some Australian lady with a thick accent (sorry, Aussies, I speak the Queen's Englishđź‘‘). I do have a VPN and would prefer to watch on demand when I have time. Any ideas?
ffloweer posted this

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Question, do any of you guys know if the events will be available to watch on replay? I'm almost certainly going to have to watch the replay on some events. Cause I gotta work during the day during the work week.
If all you have is rabbit ears and a TV, many local stations of NBC do re broadcasts into the wee hours. If you have cable, of course, you can always DVR a comp and fast forward through commericals, etc.

mrrice

Record Breaker
If all you have is rabbit ears and a TV, many local stations of NBC do re broadcasts into the wee hours. If you have cable, of course, you can always DVR a comp and fast forward through commericals, etc.
It always best just to set your DVR and tape the entire broadcast. There may be times they'll cut away to other sports and you can FF though those sections. It will drive you crazy if you try to sit through the broadcast and edit on the fly. I've tried that before....:bang:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I've found the official Beijing 2022 page has published in this page a document with broadcasters by country. I hope it helps!
Be aware that with the countries that list Eurosport and then a second broadcaster, the second one has likely a *sub*license which they bought from discovery (Eurosport).

For instance, in the Netherlands that means you can probably watch everything speed skating and short track for free on television on the NOS (and everything aired on TV also has a free stream on the website), but everything else, you’re lucky to catch a couple-of-minutes summary of the top three if that.

Something like figure skating will 99 % not be viewable on the NOS except for some short summaries.

Which means Eurosport (and that means paying for the Player, because Eurosport can never show all the FS live on only two TV channels).

Every sublicense holder will probably focus on the sports that are popular in their own country. It was like that with the Netherlands last Summer Olympics, too.

Basically: I watched nothing on the NOS. I will decide for myself what to watch from twenty simultaneous streams, not watch one TV channel that runs a program that cherry-picks bits and pieces from sports that the average Dutch viewer is supposed to like best (i.e. where we have medal chances, because apparently that makes the average person “like” a sport. Ugh.)

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Thanks for all the info, guys! I don't have a TV, just a PC and biggish screen. Maybe I should just subscribe to the Japanese TV service and watch it in Japanese.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I'm talking about Peacock. But thank you.
Every comp I have watched and rewatched on Peacock is available on demand fairly soon after the program is broadcast live. They better not deviate from this as some of the Oly comps are in the wee hours! :rock:

They are pretty strick about bedtime here in the old folks home.

This is where the book marking is important. Right now, it LOOKS like they have improved their interface so all you have to do is go to "Olympics"> Figure skating> and all the events will be there, before and after they happen, but you never know with Peacock. Searching for past events this season can be a PITA. Therefore, I book mark all the events I want to see...the ones I dont want to see again I un-bookmark.
In this manner...say for the sake of argument I fly down to Little Italy in San Diego on the 17th for some sun treatment and then get on a cruise ship on the 20th to the Sea of Cortez and then fly home on the 27th. Then I can go to my book marks and see anything I missed as well as watch things I want to see again.
I have no idea what happens to all those book marked programs when next season rolls around.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks for all the info, guys! I don't have a TV, just a PC and biggish screen. Maybe I should just subscribe to the Japanese TV service and watch it in Japanese.
I love subscribing to Japanese TV during their Nationals....but I plug a laptop into the HDMI port of my big screen TV to watch them. Just curious. TVs in the US are dirt cheep... are they expensive in NZ or are you out of range of Rabbit ears or are service providers expensive down there? Other than Public Television, there really isnt alot on cable/ sattalite or Rabbit ears to watch so I use rabbit ears for Public TV. Mostly a vast wasteland for everything else.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
It always best just to set your DVR and tape the entire broadcast. There may be times they'll cut away to other sports and you can FF though those sections. It will drive you crazy if you try to sit through the broadcast and edit on the fly. I've tried that before....:bang:
Correct! I have a 9th Generation Magnavox DVR, tuner, DVD burner, DVD player. Sadly, i dont think they are made anymore so I am hoping my two outlive me. I will record the Tara and Johnny show while watching peacock, say on the night of Feb 3rd. Then, with nothing to watch the next night, I will watch T and J sans commercials, fluff, ice resurfaces, breaking curling news, etc. I have a special pexiglass shield in front of my big screen tv so I can throw rotton fruit at it.... :laugh:

auser

Record Breaker
If your VPN has a Canadian server you may be able to stream CBC Olympic coverage: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics
If your VPN has an Australian server you may be able to stream Seven networks coverage: https://7plus.com.au/Olympics
IIRC 7plus requires you to create an account. I used a free web based email account (proton mail) and entered a Sydney post code when I created my account to watch some of last summer's Olympics(I reside in California).

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Which means Eurosport (and that means paying for the Player, because Eurosport can never show all the FS live on only two TV channels).

Just a wee note that Eurosport will have three additional linear channels for the duration of the Olympics. So, 5 linear channels altogether. Same as they did for Pyeongchang 2018.

During the Tokyo 2021 Summer Olympics, there were 7 additional linear Eurosport channels, which each had a theme:

Channel
2021 Summer Olympics Theme
Eurosport 1General
Eurosport 2General
Eurosport 3Tennis
Eurosport 4Artistic
Eurosport 5Football
Eurosport 6Basketball
Eurosport 7Fight Sports
Eurosport 8Handball
Eurosport 9Volleyball

I can't remember if the 3 additional channels were themed for the 2018 Pyeongchang Olympics. And I have no idea if they will be this time around, because we can't access EPG listings yet. We'll only find out when they launch.

But, personally, I don't think themed channels would be possible when there are only 3 additional channels. Even if we were able to divide the sports into 3 broad themes (and I cannot imagine how that would be done, as the sports are more varied than that!), each theme would have too much content at some times and not enough content at other times. That's what happened with Tokyo last year.

Themes didn't work with 7 additional channels during the Summer Olympics, so I can't see how themes would work with only 3 additional channels during the Winter Olympics.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Just a wee note that Eurosport will have three additional linear channels for the duration of the Olympics. So, 5 linear channels altogether. Same as they did for Pyeongchang 2018.

During the Tokyo 2021 Summer Olympics, there were 7 additional linear Eurosport channels, which each had a theme:

Channel
2021 Summer Olympics Theme
Eurosport 1General
Eurosport 2General
Eurosport 3Tennis
Eurosport 4Artistic
Eurosport 5Football
Eurosport 6Basketball
Eurosport 7Fight Sports
Eurosport 8Handball
Eurosport 9Volleyball

I can't remember if the 3 additional channels were themed for the 2018 Pyeongchang Olympics. And I have no idea if they will be this time around, because we can't access EPG listings yet. We'll only find out when they launch.

But, personally, I don't think themed channels would be possible when there are only 3 additional channels. Even if we were able to divide the sports into 3 broad themes (and I cannot imagine how that would be done, as the sports are more varied than that!), each theme would have too much content at some times and not enough content at other times. That's what happened with Tokyo last year.

Themes didn't work with 7 additional channels during the Summer Olympics, so I can't see how themes would work with only 3 additional channels during the Winter Olympics.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan
With linear, you mean TV channels, right? I have no idea how that works in the UK, but pretty sure that I have never seen anything remotely resembling more Eurosport TV channels than 1 and 2. :scratch2:
Edit to add: also not seeing anything other than E1, E2 and E (streams) in the Schedule in the Player app for Friday and Saturday. Plenty of different streams, but not other TV channels.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
With linear, you mean TV channels, right? I have no idea how that works in the UK, but pretty sure that I have never seen anything remotely resembling more Eurosport TV channels than 1 and 2. :scratch2:
Edit to add: also not seeing anything other than E1, E2 and E (streams) in the Schedule in the Player app for Friday and Saturday. Plenty of different streams, but not other TV channels.

Yep, I mean TV channels.

That said, from what I remember from Pyeongchang, the additional channels were just showing the World Feed coverage of whatever it was they were broadcasting. So, viewers of the additional channels weren't getting anything that wasn't also available via a stream on the Eurosport Player.

The three additional channels for the British Isles are currently testing, and are due to join the EPG on 2nd February. The details are below. (For those in Southern Ireland, I would expect that the additional channels will be available on cable there too, but I don't know for sure).

It could be that their programming is not listed in the Eurosport Player yet because the channels have not actually launched yet. Or, it could be that Eurosport is only providing the additional channels in certain countries. I just assumed that Eurosport would be doing the same for all countries.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Eurosport 3 will be available via:

Digital cable (UK only): Ch. 537 on Virgin Media
Digital satellite (Europe): Ch. 983 on SkyDigital
Astra 28.2°E, Transponder 24 (12.168V. DVB-S2 8PSK. MBaud 27,500. FEC 2/3).​

Eurosport 4 will be available via:

Digital cable (UK only): Ch. 538 on Virgin Media
Digital satellite (Europe): Ch. 984 on SkyDigital
Astra 28.2°E, Transponder 27 (12.226H. DVB-S2 8PSK. MBaud 27,500. FEC 2/3).​

Eurosport 5 will be available via:

Digital cable (UK only): Ch. 539 on Virgin Media
Digital satellite (Europe): Ch. 985 on SkyDigital
Astra 28.2°E, Transponder 34 (12.363V. DVB-S2 8PSK. MBaud 27,500. FEC 2/3).​

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I have my figures crossed that this means that announcers will just be used on "fluff" shows during the olys
Ashley. "Help me! I am talking and I cant shut up!"
View attachment 4886

I watched Ashley’s commentary during 4CCs & she actually went without talking during long stretches of several programs, when the skaters were creating a mood. I thought she did quite well.

As for the Peacock show, I had read that she would be doing it with Adam. Perhaps the lineup has been revised, since it appears that he’ll be in Beijing with Mariah.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I have my figures crossed that this means that announcers will just be used on "fluff" shows during the olys
Ashley. "Help me! I am talking and I cant shut up!"
View attachment 4886
Brian, Scott and Ashley will be doing the Olympic Ice shows. As far as I know, they will not be doing commentary during competitions. If Peacock uses the world feed then we will probably have Belinda Noonan and Ollie Hogben. I believe she was doing the commentary in 2018 when I watched the ISU feed. I don't think Ollie was the other commentator in 2018. I would rather not have any commentary, but I would rather not listen to the regular NBC crew.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Brian, Scott and Ashley will be doing the Olympic Ice shows. As far as I know, they will not be doing commentary during competitions. If Peacock uses the world feed then we will probably have Belinda Noonan and Ollie Hogben. I believe she was doing the commentary in 2018 when I watched the ISU feed. I don't think Ollie was the other commentator in 2018. I would rather not have any commentary, but I would rather not listen to the regular NBC crew.
One wonders why the ignorant producers who broadcast skating think people want it to be like a football or baseball game? Can they not understand why Ted Barton is so loved? good thing they dont broadcast ballet! Opera... it wont help but if they have some monkey spouting drivel during skates I will vent my frustration on the Peacock FB page. And I wont be the normally nice person I usually am (except when I yell at the TV during the news)