GP Meeting | Page 2 | Golden Skate

GP Meeting

netnuts

Match Penalty
from FSU:

Emily Hughes got Skate America and Skate Canada ?
Evan Lysacek got Skate America and Cup of China ?

Even Amanda & Mark got Skate America?

Is this the Amanda from Canada? How the hell can she get a GP event?
Who is Mark?

Kypma

Final Flight
About the Emanuel Sandhu and Mira Leung thing...
I really want to believe that Emanuel decided to skip the series, even if that is highly unlikely, because even though both were disappointments at worlds (failing to secure the third spot for Canada in Men's / falling to a 24th place finish), I don't see how Emanuel could be worse. Sure, he wasn't very spectacular at Nationals with his first bronze medal (compared to past silvers and golds), but he was still pretty good in the free skate, if I remember correctly, and he just couldn't close the 10-point gap accumulated from the short program. As for Mira... I dunno, but my esteem for her kind of dropped after her statement issued about Worlds. I still don't get why Skate Canada would take her for 2 events and Emanuel for none.

Random thoought, but both these skaters seem to have mental preparation issues and both are coached by Joanne McLeod (? Not sure about her last name) at the BC Center of Excellence. Do you think any one of them would benefit from training with other coaches for a short period of time?

Kypma.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Amanda Evora & Mark Ladwig's USFS' pairs bio (Team B) - not yet updated for 2007-08: http://www.usfigureskating.org/AthletePairBio.asp?id=19383

ETA: They have a low ISU World ranking (#79) because their last international competitions were back in the 2005-06 season (Skate America and Canada). So I'm glad to see they got the one GP they were eligible for -- Skate America.

Last edited:

netnuts

Match Penalty
Evora/Ladwig are Pairs skaters.

Strange. I generally pay attention to pairs skating, but have never heard of them. It seems to me they are not young either. Do they actually have any international ranking? Too many American pairs (Jr. and Sr.) need to be dispatched to GPs no wonder the former and reigning Jr. world champs only got just ONE event.

If this unknown pair got Skate America, I'm wondering which two pairs are lucky enough to get the rest. I&B, NNN&T , C&O, tough call.

flying camel

Medalist
from FSU:

Emily Hughes got Skate America and Skate Canada ?
Evan Lysacek got Skate America and Cup of China ?

Even Amanda & Mark got Skate America?

Is this the Amanda from Canada? How the hell can she get a GP event?
Who is Mark?

I wonder if the skater can ask that they be sent a certain place. It's interesting that Emily is starting college and she gets those events. I don't that that is a coincidence.

netnuts

Match Penalty
I wonder if the skater can ask that they be sent a certain place. It's interesting that Emily is starting college and she gets those events. I don't that that is a coincidence.

I do think the federations will consult with the skaters. There must also be some 'under the table' dealings among those host countries. For example, the top Chinese ice dancers are generally ranked very low internationally, but they usually got two events in the past.

This sort of backroom dealings I think are understandable. Host countries should at least have some tangible benefits by doing these expensive events.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Strange. I generally pay attention to pairs skating, but have never heard of them. It seems to me they are not young either. Do they actually have any international ranking? Too many American pairs (Jr. and Sr.) need to be dispatched to GPs no wonder the former and reigning Jr. world champs only got just ONE event.

If this unknown pair got Skate America, I'm wondering which two pairs are lucky enough to get the rest. I&B, NNN&T , C&O, tough call.

Evora / Ladwig competed in the 2005 GP. They were 9th of 10 at SA and last of 8 at Skate Canada. They have been competing at US Nationals since the 2002-2003 season; they were 5th in 2005, 7th in 2006 and 4th in 2007.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight

Amanda & Mark are not unknown if you've been to US Nationals the last few years but they have the unfortunate bad luck of never being shown in the televised broadcasts, even when they've placed high such as 2005 and this past season (2007). They got shown exactly ONE time and even that was just in the LP rebroadcast from 2005. They have been competing together since 2002-03 and have steadily rose in the US rankings every year placing 12th, 10th, 5th, 7th and then moving up to 4th last year. I'm thrilled they got the SA assignment after not getting a even one international assignment last year. They actually have a website too which is linked in my signature line and I promise I'm not just pointing that out because its my website and I'm really proud of it, LOL :laugh:

nadster

Final Flight
Random thoought, but both these skaters seem to have mental preparation issues and both are coached by Joanne McLeod (? Not sure about her last name) at the BC Center of Excellence. Do you think any one of them would benefit from training with other coaches for a short period of time?

Kypma.

Mira would benefit from getting away from her controlling mother who interferes with Mira's coaching in every way ( not interacting with other skaters, total disregard for costuming , focusing only on landing jumps only even with very flawed technique ,etc)

I would not say that Mira has mental preparation issues ( as far as controlling nerves is concerned ) . Normally she is very consistent with landing her jumps ( as flawed as they are ) . The problem is that her mother puts in ideas into Mira's head that her skating skills are much better than they really are.

As for Sandhu, it is up to him to stop the excuses and get a good work ethic ( ie not show up late for practice sessions). He can come back if he does those things.

cocovica

On the Ice
Am really looking forward to Cup of China, this will be for the first time, when Evan and Johnny will fight against each other in GP series! Could be interesting! (I hope Johnny definitely beat Evan:yes::biggrin:)

and really sad for Sandu!:think:

flying camel

Medalist
Am really looking forward to Cup of China, this will be for the first time, when Evan and Johnny will fight against each other in GP series! Could be interesting! (I hope Johnny definitely beat Evan:yes::biggrin:)

and really sad for Sandu!:think:

Well if Sandu does well at Skate Canada maybe he will get another event.

I think we should really wait for the official listing. In the US, it is important that the host country break even if not make a profit.

The local Readinites may go to the arena for the exhibitions. (Everyone but me loves the exhibitions). But will they go to the Compulsory Dance, Original Dance, the Short Programs???

How many US fans will travel to Reading to see Emily Hughes and Evora and Ladwiq? Of course family members, coaches, choreographers, will be there. But they need a few very top ranking names. Tanith and Ben definitely. Kimmie Meissner definitely, Johnny or Evan, Innoue and Baldwin would be the draw to get fans to Reading.

Joe

Kypma

Final Flight
Maybe Emanuel is about to retire? Could it be?

I thought he kept saying he was going for a run at the Olympics in his adopted hometown of Vancouver, and Nationals this year will he held in the same venue as the Olympics, so why would he retire now? At least, finish it off in beauty at home, it would be way nicer than just disappearing and either being remembered for messing up in the last year, or being forgotten all together.

Kypma

sillylionlove

Medalist
I actually have all even tickets for Reading and plan to be there on Thursday for the practices and for all the other events. I am really looking forward to spending 4 days there. It really doens't matter if there are bigs names there or not.

As for Amanda and Mark. I had the pleasure of meeting them at Skate America in 2005 in Atlantic City. They were really nice and took the time to sign autographs and take pictures and chat for a few minutes. Mark is very funny by the way. They don't get much publicity but they were a pretty good team from what I remember.

I am anxiously awaiting for the official posting of who will be attending Skate America.