GP Meeting | Page 3 | Golden Skate

GP Meeting

bostonskater

Rinkside
I wonder who the third man at Skate America will be? Scott Smith was assigned to Canada and Paris, Jeremy Abbot to Canada and Japan, Johnny Weir to China and Russia; Lysacek will be in Reading and it sure looks like Bradley will, but then...

The men who fnished 6th to 12th at Nationals were Delmore, Pennington, Rogers, Carriere, Overett and LaRoche. As junior world champion and ranked 10th, Carriere will have gotten two assignments on his own - usually USFS assigns the third spot at SA to an up-and-comer who needs world ranking points and wouldn't get any other GP assignments. Hard to say who that would be, from the list above. Sometimes they give it to a junior skater. Maybe it will be Halverson.

bostonskater

Rinkside
Oh, that's right. Well, Carriere seems like the obvious choice, except that he can get two other events on his own and USFS has tended to assign the third spot to skaters and teams who won't have any other assignments. If it were up to me I would have chosen him though!

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
At least, finish it off in beauty at home, it would be way nicer than just disappearing and either being remembered for messing up in the last year, or being forgotten all together.

I too think it would be nicer, but... what if he can't?

Kypma

Final Flight
I too think it would be nicer, but... what if he can't?

Why wouldn't he be able to? I don't know Skate Canada's rules (shame on me - a Canadian who knows the American nationals qualifications better than the Canadian ones...), but I don't see why the bronze medalist wouldn't be able to compete at nationals one last time... As for the Olympics, we'll see, but for Nationals I don't see why he wouldn't do that for his fans at home.

Kypma

Okay well he'd have to qualify through sectionals in BC, and I don't think there are many medal contenders in that section in men's, it's not like Ontario (don't remember which section) with Mariposa. So for sure he could be at Nationals, plus he's on the National Team, so I don't see why he'd have to qualify, anyways.

Furthermore, looking back at his results, it seems he always performs better at home; 5th at Worlds 06 in Calgary, twice Skate Canada International Champion... I don't know where Nationals were done so I can't compare that. It would be really nice for his fans to see him win in Vancouver in 2008, although I must say I would love to see Jeff Buttle on tope again :) Any word on where Jeff'll be?

Last edited:

discoduck

On the Ice
How many US fans will travel to Reading to see Emily Hughes and Evora and Ladwiq?

Innoue and Baldwin would be the draw to get fans to Reading.

Joe

I'd rather see Emily and Evora/Ladwig than I/B. That's just me though. :)

The top draws aren't even the reason that I'm considering going to Reading to be completely honest. I discovered last year that I enjoyed the skaters I'd never heard of more than some of the top names.

sillylionlove

Medalist
I was not able to go last year to SA because I had a wedding.

However, when I went in 2005, the unknowns as we like to call them, were the nicest!! The big names often didn't stop for autographs and just left the ice after practice and went back stage. The whole fun of attending the practice sessions is getting to meet the skaters and the unknowns are usually the best to do this with.

I remember back in 2005, Daisuke Takahashi was an unknown and won the mens competition. At the Saturday practice, he came to watch the others and when people recognized him he was so excited and stayed by the boards for about 20 minutes taking pics and signing autographs.

Besides the unknowns now....are the big names of a few years from now.

Last edited:

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
I'd rather see Emily and Evora/Ladwig than I/B. That's just me though. :)

The top draws aren't even the reason that I'm considering going to Reading to be completely honest. I discovered last year that I enjoyed the skaters I'd never heard of more than some of the top names.

I could not agree more. :agree:The unknowns I've been seeing at US Nats for the last few years are only just now starting to be known more and its really exciting to see how far some of these young ones have come. I've always thought Keauna McLaughlin (current Jr. World champ) was a future star in the making (I remember her from Novice way back in 2004). I also remember Jeremy Abbott when he won the Jr. men's title at Nats and now he's one of our top guys in the USA. Its exciting to see the lesser known skaters at these events because there's no pressure on them to do well. They're doing the best they can and having a total blast at the same time. I think they appreciate the experience more than some of the veterans do sometimes. Maybe that's not enough for some people but genuine skating fans will be excited to see what up and comers make their presence known this year. That's just my opinion of course. ;)

sillylionlove-Thanks for sharing your stories! Daisuke is too cute. :)

Last edited:

sillylionlove

Medalist
I am glad to see that other's enjoy seeing skaters in general and not just the "name" skaters" I have some wonderful stories from 2005 Skate America and i was only there one day!!! This time around I will be there for 4 days!! That should be a whole load of stories.

If anyone gets an official list of who is skating at which grand prix...please let us know.

Last edited:

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
I believe the official announcement is coming out tomorrow so we should see a bunch of news about all the assignments very soon! :)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
According to FSU, Johnny got Cup of Russia and Cup of China.

no surpise here. he always gets Cup of Russia... funny because he himself said that he likes skating for russian fans etc.....

from FSU:

Emily Hughes got Skate America and Skate Canada ?
Evan Lysacek got Skate America and Cup of China ?

QUOTE]

I think Emily's assigments are the same as last year as well. I don't remeber Evan's. I just know that emily won the bronze at Cup of China last year.

nadster

Final Flight
Why wouldn't he be able to? I don't know Skate Canada's rules (shame on me - a Canadian who knows the American nationals qualifications better than the Canadian ones...), but I don't see why the bronze medalist wouldn't be able to compete at nationals one last time... As for the Olympics, we'll see, but for Nationals I don't see why he wouldn't do that for his fans at home.

Kypma

Okay well he'd have to qualify through sectionals in BC, and I don't think there are many medal contenders in that section in men's, it's not like Ontario (don't remember which section) with Mariposa. So for sure he could be at Nationals, plus he's on the National Team, so I don't see why he'd have to qualify, anyways.

Furthermore, looking back at his results, it seems he always performs better at home; 5th at Worlds 06 in Calgary, twice Skate Canada International Champion... I don't know where Nationals were done so I can't compare that. It would be really nice for his fans to see him win in Vancouver in 2008, although I must say I would love to see Jeff Buttle on tope again :) Any word on where Jeff'll be?

Well actually the rules for seniors have changed this year. For the first time seniors have to do the challenges after the sectionals. The sectionals still exist ( although for most sections those competitions are meaningless since in many sections there would be 4 or fewer competitors in each of the senior disciplines).
Only 18 skaters will make nationals this year ( that BTW includes all byes -more on who gets byes later in post)

In the past the top 4 skaters from each section ( top 8 in Quebec) got you into nationals. The top 12 from the previous season got a direct bye so technically in the past you could have up to 68 competitors at nationals in each discipline. Not that you had nearly that many as many sections simply don't have 4 senior skaters in each discipline.

Only those who make the JGP finals and those who have a GP event get a direct bye to nationals this time. Placement at previous nationals means nothing here.

Those with JGP events or senior-B internationals get a bye from sectionals but have to do challenges.

So technically, assuming Emanuel gets no GP assignments, he would have to qualify for nationals. If there are at least 5 BC-section senior men without byes from sectionals Sandhu would have to do sectionals and in any case he would have to do the challenges. Last year only 1 senior BC man competed at sectionals so it is unlikely Emanuel would have to do sectionals.

I am surprised to hear that he might not get any assignments. Certainly his ISU ranking and season best list would guarantee him at least 1 assignment.

Last edited:

flying camel

Medalist
I think Emily's assigments are the same as last year as well. I don't remeber Evan's. I just know that emily won the bronze at Cup of China last year.[/QUOTE]

I think Emily was at Skate America last year.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So who do we have so far at Skate America (per FSU):

Ladies
Emily Hughes
Mira Leung

Men
Evan Lysacek
Ryan Bradley
Alban Preaubert

Pairs
Evora / Ladwig

Dance
Davis / White
Navarro / Bommentre

I'm assuming Kimmie Meissner will be at SA also, but have no clue as to who US lady #3 will be, or US man #3, or US dance #1, or US pairs #1 and 2.

flying camel

Medalist
Yea, I am sure Kimmie will get SA & I am thinking Caroline or Wagner. I read that Ando got NHK. I wonder where Alissia is going. What about BeBe?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Yea, I am sure Kimmie will get SA & I am thinking Caroline or Wagner. I read that Ando got NHK. I wonder where Alissia is going. What about BeBe?

is bebe even going to the GP this year? I assume Belbin and Agosto will get skate america.... what about rachel flatt? is she doing the junior circut?

capcomop

Rinkside
I'm assuming Kimmie Meissner will be at SA also, but have no clue as to who US lady #3 will be, or US man #3, or US dance #1, or US pairs #1 and 2.

Given the USFSA's intense publicity push of the junior ladies at the end of last season, if Zhang does the senior GP as expected I can't imagine they would miss the opportunity to showcase her at SA.

I think I'd bet Stephen Carriere for the 3rd men's spot as he is the junior world champ and thus guaranteed one GP. Maybe Abbott after his good 4C's showing?

No idea about dance although B/A would be the logical choice, but I bet they will ask for a later comp.

I/B and C/O being 1 and 2 at Nats. would again be the logical choice for the pairs if SA is considered the primo GP comp for Americans. But there are a couple of promising pairs to consider including NNN/T and Keauna McLaughlin & Rockne Brubaker (which clears out Team A and B).

Alright all hemming and hawing aside I'd bet, given they all accept:
Ladies: Meissner, Zhang
Men: Carriere
Pairs: I/B, C/O
Dance: B/A (my gut is they will ask for a later comp)

flying camel

Medalist
is bebe even going to the GP this year? I assume Belbin and Agosto will get skate america.... what about rachel flatt? is she doing the junior circut?

Well Bebe was fourth at nationals. I am sure that is enough to get at least one spot. Yes, Flatt is doing the JGP events.

All the more reason to go to St Paul next January. I discovered a young lady in Juniors two years ago named Caroline Zhang and another in Novice named Kristi Musademba. there's a young man I am looking forward to seeing this year in St.Paul named Adam Rippon. I don't think he qualifies for GPs yet.

Joe