GP Meeting | Page 4 | Golden Skate

GP Meeting

sillylionlove

Medalist
I agree that Belbin and Agosto will also ask for a later competition date. I guess tomorrow we will find out who will be skating where...officially.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
All the more reason to go to St Paul next January. I discovered a young lady in Juniors two years ago named Caroline Zhang
Were you in Portland, Oregon for 2005 Nationals, Joe? That's where Caroline Z. made her National debut at the Novice level.

and another in Novice named Kristi Musademba. there's a young man I am looking forward to seeing this year in St.Paul named Adam Rippon. I don't think he qualifies for GPs yet.
Both Adam Rippon and Kristine Musademba will be on the JGP this year -- see my earlier U.S. JGP summary post at: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showpost.php?p=248763&postcount=9

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Alright all hemming and hawing aside I'd bet, given they all accept:
Ladies: Meissner, Zhang
Men: Carriere
Pairs: I/B, C/O
Dance: B/A (my gut is they will ask for a later comp)
I agree with your guesses except that I have a feeling that C/O and I/B won't both be in Reading -- C/O, being the '07 National champs, may get the nod this year.

Remember my personal (not conspiratorial) theory about the GPs: given the 3 Asian ladies will be split up among the 6 venues (one in each GP). Assuming they all place lst in their respective GPs, the silver medalists are a must.

2 Silvers on to the Final.

1 silver 1 bronze - Maybe to the Finals ( more than likely a tie breaker)

3 bronze and you're out.

Of course one of the Asian ladies may falter at one of her events and place second in which case, the winner will be well to go after and get at least a silver to stay on the safe side. Remember Julia!

Joe

sillylionlove

Medalist
If I/B get selected to the Cup of Russia I wonder if they will go considering what John claims what happaned to him at the Grand Prix final in Russia...I know just a long shot but something to get you thinking.

netnuts

Match Penalty
If I/B get selected to the Cup of Russia I wonder if they will go considering what John claims what happaned to him at the Grand Prix final in Russia...I know just a long shot but something to get you thinking.

Are we sure I&B going to do GPs ? They are having an incredibly busy touring schedule starting from July when all the other top contenders are busy preparing for the season.

I don't think it will serve them well to do both.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States

John is already on record (Interview at Nationals) that he would not go back to Russia. I am confident that USFS knows this and would let Russian Fed officials know as well.

feraina

Record Breaker
What GP's did Caroline Z get? If any? She supposedly has a myspace site that's only open to her friends. Any "friend" of hers here? :) Maybe she said something there?

capcomop

Rinkside
Are we sure I&B going to do GPs ? They are having an incredibly busy touring schedule starting from July when all the other top contenders are busy preparing for the season.

I don't think it will serve them well to do both.

I think this was the same boat that Bel/Aug were in after the Oly season. They didn't do SA but now I can't remember if they requested it that way or if it was an injury thing, anyway that might be I/O's solution. They can do early season touring and still make two GP events so long as one of then isn't Cup of Russia :biggrin: Even leaving out Canada (for the early season reason) that still leaves France, China and Japan.

Kypma

Final Flight
Caroline and Kimmie

Ok, I'm going a little way back in the postings, but the quote I wanted was on the other page... and I'm too lazy to go back. Anyways:

I'm not sure it's a good idea to have Kimmie and Caroline at Skate America. Sure, they'll attract crowds and all, but I'm just not ready to see them go one against each other. If one Asian lady is there, and in top shape, then only Kimmie or Caroline would have a chance to go to the Grand Prix final (providing no other lady gets in between them), given the medal theroy given by Joesitz. Or Caroline could have a subpar performance because of nerves and be less than stellar in front of a home crowd in her first Grand Prix assignment. either way, I'm not sure I'm making myself understandable, but I'm just kind of uneasy with this.

Kypma

PS Kimmie Meissner scored 180.23 at Worlds, and Caroline got 169,25 at Junior Worlds. However, Caroline stated in an article at skatetoday.com earlier this year that she was working on a 3Lz+3T and 3F+3T, so, if she can get her jumps down, she could beat Kimmie...)

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
maybe i am stupid.... but why would Belbin and agosto need a later event? Does it take them long to get a program togther?

...why would Belbin and agosto need a later event? Does it take them long to get a program togther?
Last year it did. They didn't start working on their new programs until well after all the sumner touring was over. Then they threw together their "That's Entertainment" thing, which proved a big fiasco.

The only thing that saved their season was an injury to Ben late in the year which forced them out of the GP final and the end of the year shows. This gave them the time they needed to come up with a better program. It was just starting to gel by Worlds.

passion

On the Ice
About the Emanuel Sandhu and Mira Leung thing...
I really want to believe that Emanuel decided to skip the series, even if that is highly unlikely, because even though both were disappointments at worlds (failing to secure the third spot for Canada in Men's / falling to a 24th place finish), I don't see how Emanuel could be worse. Sure, he wasn't very spectacular at Nationals with his first bronze medal (compared to past silvers and golds), but he was still pretty good in the free skate, if I remember correctly, and he just couldn't close the 10-point gap accumulated from the short program. As for Mira... I dunno, but my esteem for her kind of dropped after her statement issued about Worlds. I still don't get why Skate Canada would take her for 2 events and Emanuel for none.

Random thoought, but both these skaters seem to have mental preparation issues and both are coached by Joanne McLeod (? Not sure about her last name) at the BC Center of Excellence. Do you think any one of them would benefit from training with other coaches for a short period of time?

Kypma.

Well, to answer your first question, tell me which senior canadian lady is as consistent as mira? Unfortuantely, there isn't much of a pool to pull from. And to answer your next question, yes I think Mira needs another coach, but one who takes no nonsense from mama Leung and Mira.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last year it did. They didn't start working on their new programs until well after all the sumner touring was over. Then they threw together their "That's Entertainment" thing, which proved a big fiasco.

The only thing that saved their season was an injury to Ben late in the year which forced them out of the GP final and the end of the year shows. This gave them the time they needed to come up with a better program. It was just starting to gel by Worlds.

Last year, the COI tour went on all summer through mid-August, then the skaters went to Japan for still another tour. That's why B/A were so far behind in their training. This year, the COI tour is just ending around now, so the skaters will have 4 months to get their programs choreographed and in shape to perform.

Belbin/Agosto were not the only ones compromised by the Olympic extended tour season. Johnny Weir never got his programs well enough rehearsed to be effective. Evan didn't do a new FS, but his performances, too, had fallen off from the previous season.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
There was a big brouhaha last year when B/A weren't at SA, having requested a later start comp. I suspect that given the new TV contract and that they'd be a draw at Reading, USFS would choose them.

Do we even know if Den/Sta are in this year? If yes, then the top three would be:

Den/Sta
B/A
Del/Schoe

If not, the top three seeds would be:

B/A
Del/Schoe
Dom/Sha

I don't think Del/Schoe or Dom/Sha are draws in the US. Den/Sta, maybe.

When I think of I&B, I am wondering if they are a top 6 for the Finals.

Who are the top 6 in the Worlds?

S&Z, Z&Z, P&T, S&Z. D&D, and O&S or I&B

There are also several Pairs teams who are ready to knock two of the above off the finals.

Joe,

discoduck

On the Ice
The top six pairs in the world are

Shen/Zhao
Pang/Tong
S/S from German whose names I can't spell. :laugh:
Valsovar/Morozov
Zhang Squared
Marcoux/Buntin who are no longer together

Dube/Davison were 7th, I/B were 8th, C/O were 12th.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
However...the top 6 seeded pair teams for this year's Grand Prix should be: Pang/Tong, Savchenko/Szolkowy, Volosozhar/Morozov, Zhang/Zhang, Inoue/Baldwin, and Kawaguchi/Smirnov.

Inoue/Baldwin (8th at '07 Worlds) and Kawaguchi/Smirnov (9th) qualify to be seeded on the GP ahead of Dube/Davison (7th) because they both "achieved a seasonal best score equal to or better than the top 6 from 2007 Worlds" -- this criterion trumps 2007 Worlds results, according to the GP Announcement.

discoduck

On the Ice
I know that the seeds are different for the FP. I thought that he was asking who the top six after worlds are. My apologies for misunderstanding the question.