Han Yan & Yuzuru Hanyu health updates | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Han Yan & Yuzuru Hanyu health updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

makaihime

Final Flight
Oh. Makes sense. Now that I look at it Yuzuru hit Han Yan's chest/shoulder area really hard, also explains why Han Yan was holding on to it later on...

Yeah, Han got a majority of the hit on the chest and Yuzuru to his head. I hope Han's doctor took a chest X-RAY too.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Both skaters coaches should have withdrawn them. Allowing them both to skate was insane it's the coaches job to keep the skaters healthy and not push them to far.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The cuts themselves are very minor issues. All cuts on the head look horrible because they draw more blood than elsewhere. Being knocked hard on the body can cause bad injury and great trauma. Concussions are the most dangerous because after and long term effects can be extremely serious. That's why immediate thorough examination and a period of careful observation and monitor are very important.

One or both of them may just be quite OK with some rest. However, with concussions you can't be too careful.

Vanshilar

On the Ice
What I'd like to know is how the hell did they get those cuts? It looks as if Yuzuru was cut by a blade, but no blades were involved as far as I can see. Seriously though, it looks as if someone's slashed his neck.

No, blades were not involved. What it looked like was that Han Yan's chin struck the right upper part of Yuzuru Hanyu's head; additionally, Hanyu's right shoulder basically struck Yan's chest. Also, Yan's left hip struck Hanyu's stomach. On his way down, Hanyu's chin struck the ice pretty hard, with his chin hitting the ice before his knees or his chest (although both hands were on the ice); although Yan fell, it was more of a controlled stumble down as opposed to Hanyu who basically splatted onto the ice right away. I'm not a medical expert, but it doesn't seem like either of them were unconscious, at least not immediately, since Hanyu after falling was up on his elbows and then clutched his stomach with his left hand, while Yan was able to sit up within a few seconds. It may simply be the shock of the impact and/or the pain that cause Hanyu to be down for so long, not necessarily being unconscious (or maybe he went unconscious afterwards, I haven't seen the after- clips).

Again I'm not a medical expert but from the footage what I'd be worried about is Hanyu essentially taking a hard blow to the right side of his head as well as falling hard on his chin, as well as possible injury to his right shoulder area (such as his right collarbone) and maybe injury to his stomach area. For Yan, it is likely a hard blow to the chin as well as whatever injuries might be from taking a shoulder in the chest area. Their skates don't seem to have contacted each other except for Yan's left toe pick hitting the inside of Hanyu's left boot during the collision.

Hits to the chin can cause quite a bit of bleeding, I remember when I fell off my bike in third grade and landed on my chin I had quite a few stitches and they put it in a cast or something (heavily bandaged) for several weeks (memory is fuzzy on how long). There's also the potential for a sort of whiplash thing as the head bounces up while the chest goes down. Anyway, I remember I left some blood on the asphalt that stayed there for quite some time afterward, and they also just cut off my shirt and threw it away because of all the blood that was on it. Fortunately though I didn't have any brain injury from it that I'm aware of (as much as internet commenters might disagree) and I hope they both pull out of it okay. I'm not as concerned about them being in wheelchairs for now -- it may just be a precaution in case they faint or get dizzy or something afterwards.

tikse

Rinkside
Both skaters coaches should have withdrawn them. Allowing them both to skate was insane it's the coaches job to keep the skaters healthy and not push them to far.
Can coaches do that legally? I presume skaters hire coaches, not other way round? And it also depends on what's in their contracts.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Just a reminder that there is a thread for anything that is not a health-related update here :agree:

This topic is very much in the news these days in the sports world. The US National Football League was sued on behalf of 4500 former players who are suffering from various forms of dementias, neurological disorders, etc, as a result of repeated head trauma. The original suit was settled for US$ 675,000,000, but the case has been reopened on appeal because that is not nearly enough money to pay for the medical expenses and long-term care cost of the victims.

I think the iSU will come up with a rule at its next congress. If you get knocked unconscious in warm-ups, you don't skate.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
more footage after
Hanyu received 7 stitched on his chin and 3 on his forehead and he's going back to Japan tomorrow,at least he knows better than to go the gala

Both of them looked so out of it after the impact that the fact that they both competed wasn't bravery but stupidity and not only theirs but to everyone surrounding them

Thank you. I am not criticizing Hanyu or Han but we don't want to encourage such "behaviour". what are we teaching our children. tough is one thing; stupid is another.

alia jackson

Record Breaker

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
But if they were "out of it," then they were hardly capable of making rational decisions. I wouldn't call the boys stupid in this case - the adults around them, however...

Guru1

Rinkside
Misha Ge tweeted this a couple of hours back: P.S. Meet Yuzu in Corridor walking with people help, he said he still ok, but need time for rest. Wished him fastest recovery #Fighter

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This topic is very much in the news these days in the sports world. The US National Football League was sued on behalf of 4500 former players who are suffering from various forms of dementias, neurological disorders, etc, as a result of repeated head trauma. The original suit was settled for US$ 675,000,000, but the case has been reopened on appeal because that is not nearly enough money to pay for the medical expenses and long-term care cost of the victims.

I think the iSU will come up with a rule at its next congress. If you get knocked unconscious in warm-ups, you don't skate.

Having seen the crash video, I will not even watch the Yuzu or Han Yan free skate. These young men should not be making these decisions, as those of us in North America who have followed the NFL and concussions know. I am appalled at their medical staff and coaches. The ISU needs to enact this rule against competing after a head injury yesterday.

I am sorry, but it is impossible to separate the health updates from what could have been a major tragedy allowing these young men to skate. I look forward to their recovery.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Having seen the crash video, I will not even watch the Yuzu or Han Yan free skate. These young men should not be making these decisions, as those of us in North America who have followed the NFL and concussions know. I am appalled at their medical staff and coaches. The ISU needs to enact this rule against competing after a head injury yesterday.

I am sorry, but it is impossible to separate the health updates from what could have been a major tragedy allowing these young men to skate. I look forward to their recovery.

No, it is not. Health updates are health updates. Opinions and side comments (not relating to wishing them to get better, etc.) are separate. Or at least they should be, so this doesn't turn into the Men's FS thread.

Sorry, but I don't understand why so many users don't get this. Many requested a thread solely for health updates. Why can't others keep it that way?

yyyskate

Record Breaker
HanYan also shaked hands with Hanyu when he is about to take the ice after the incidence. They are good friends off-ice :yay::agree:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
HanYan also shaked hands with Hanyu when he is about to take the ice after the incidence. They are good friends off-ice :yay::agree:

They need to give each other a brotherly hug :p Pooh optional.

This is just one more huddle on a long lists of huddles Hanyu and HanYan will manage to ride it out in their young and hopefully long career.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
This was handled rather poorly. The organizers I would hope must be aware of the fact that skating is particularly prone to injuries such as this. I would think they would know by know how easily one could receive a serious injury while on the ice and how serious an incident this is when there is head and chest injuries, passed out skaters and blood. They should have forced or at the very least convinced both of them out of the event.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
This was handled rather poorly. The organizers I would hope must be aware of the fact that skating is particularly prone to injuries such as this. I would think they would know by know how easily one could receive a serious injury while on the ice and how serious an incident this is when there is head and chest injuries, passed out skaters and blood. They should have forced or at the very least convinced both of them out of the event.

Please follow the link in the original post :no:

Status
Not open for further replies.