Help! My blades are rusty! | Golden Skate

Help! My blades are rusty!

Claire_sk8s

Rinkside
So I had a test session 2 days ago and accidentally left my hard guards on my blades up until now when I went to clean my bag and saw they were on my blades. There is a good amount of rust on my blades and I am wondering if they will be okay to skate in since I have a Comp in about a week and do not have time to get them sharpened until after. Does anyone know how to get the rust off or if it would be okay to skate on until I can get them sharpened?
I would like to upload pictures of the damage but do not know how. If anyone knows how please let me know

Thank you

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So I had a test session 2 days ago and accidentally left my hard guards on my blades up until now when I went to clean my bag and saw they were on my blades. There is a good amount of rust on my blades and I am wondering if they will be okay to skate in since I have a Comp in about a week and do not have time to get them sharpened until after. Does anyone know how to get the rust off or if it would be okay to skate on until I can get them sharpened?
I would like to upload pictures of the damage but do not know how. If anyone knows how please let me know

Thank you
You either need to get them sharpened to remove the rust and never forget to only put soakers on them to store after skating and toweling off excess water and ice from blade and bottom of boot, or get some mineral oil and a scotch brite pad and remove the flaky rust as best as possible and then wipe the rest of the mineral oil off.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd be taking them to a tech.

Last edited:

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
1. For images, click the little photo button circled in my picture below. You should be able to upload a photo from there.

2. About the skates, you can try the solution that @Ic3Rabbit suggested above, but if I were you I‘d take them to a tech or get them sharpened (or both). I once had a somewhat similar situation - I walked on concrete by accident with my skates on, and sharpening them prevented my blades from getting ruined. If you plan to compete in a week - the tech is your best option

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
1. For images, click the little photo button circled in my picture below. You should be able to upload a photo from there.

2. About the skates, you can try the solution that @Ic3Rabbit suggested above, but if I were you I‘d take them to a tech or get them sharpened (or both). I once had a somewhat similar situation - I walked on concrete by accident with my skates on, and sharpening them prevented my blades from getting ruined. If you plan to compete in a week - the tech is your best option
I suggested taking to a tech, the other was just a backup plan.

Claire_sk8s

Rinkside
So I have found a TEMPORARY solution for this if you can not get them sharpened immediately, you are going to take "barkeepers friend", a powder used for leaning stainless steel, and mix with water to create a paste. Dip a cotton swab in the past on gently rub on the rust. Wipe off with a wet towel immediately and then dry. I have gotten a lot of the rust off, but make sure you do not use a lot of the paste as it can be harmful. But this is just a temporary fix so make sure you get your skates to a tech ASAP

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So I have found a TEMPORARY solution for this if you can not get them sharpened immediately, you are going to take "barkeepers friend", a powder used for leaning stainless steel, and mix with water to create a paste. Dip a cotton swab in the past on gently rub on the rust. Wipe off with a wet towel immediately and then dry. I have gotten a lot of the rust off, but make sure you do not use a lot of the paste as it can be harmful. But this is just a temporary fix so make sure you get your skates to a tech ASAP
My suggestion was safer for your blades. :slink:

Minz

Medalist
Country
United-States
make sure you do not use a lot of the paste as it can be harmful
Something like that seems to be a minefield waiting to explode..... Accidents happen. It‘s cheaper to get the skates sharpened then to have to buy a whole new set of blades. Also, what are the after affects of this.... It works for now, but will something show up tomorrow or in a few days? My advice is to get those skates to a tech ASAP.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Of course going to a tech is best option. But - question for those more knowledgeable than I on this topic:

How about taking a blade sharpening stone and giving them a very light going over along the blade? Many coaches keep a stone on-hand.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

This is also perfectly sage your blades ;)
You stated yourself that it's not safe for the blades, so I don't know what point you are trying to make now?!

shumaislife

Rinkside
At the end of the day, it's your blades. You are welcome to do what you want with them, and I HOPE they turn out fine! But I don't think it's good to spread misinformation that Barkeepers friend is safe for blade rust. Barkeeper's friend is corrosive, which is why it's not great for your blades. It's kind of like using a Magic Eraser to remove stains on leather, which removes the stain by scratching away the entire top layer of leather. Barkeepers friend sorta works the same way. It takes off an entire layer off your blade, not just the rust, meaning it's predisposing it to more rust in the future.

Ic3Rabbit gave the most accurate and reasonable advice, safest (skate tech) and safer (mineral oil).

Minz

Medalist
Country
United-States
What I've learned from this thread is that people do the most precarious things with their almost 500 dollar blades.
My blades aren’t even fancy/expensive, and yet one of the things my coach(es) always stressed to me, even as a beginner/intermediate, was proper blade care. They made sure to tell me at the skate shop too. I once nearly ruined my blades, and my coach made every effort to get the skates to a tech ASAP and it legit saved me from having to buy new blades, and have my skates ruined. It also taught me a lesson on what not to do with skate blades.

Claire_sk8s

Rinkside
I suggested mineral oil and a scotch brite pad, yet you bought barkeepers friend and used that? I don't understand how what I suggested was "not an option."
I already had barkeepers friend available to me... I did not have to go out and buy it.