Help! My blades are rusty! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Help! My blades are rusty!

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
What I've learned from this thread is that people ask for advice, people take the time to write it down for them, but then, they completely ignore it.
You know, some of you need to realize that not everyone has the luxury of a nearby tech. I read posts in another forum about transportation challenges, money challenges, etc.

The OP used what she had and she did not use a lot. Was it ideal? NO! But it got the job done until she can get to a tech.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
You know, some of you need to realize that not everyone has the luxury of a nearby tech. I read posts in another forum about transportation challenges, money challenges, etc.

The OP used what she had and she did not use a lot. Was it ideal? NO! But it got the job done until she can get to a tech.
We understand that, and we‘ve all been in somewhat desperate situations, weather skating or otherwise. We are just trying to say that it is not ideal, and that @Ic3Rabbit gave very solid advice which would have been better for the blades. Hopefully it all turns out well.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

then perhaps the OP should make it clear in their post what obstacles are faced (cannot see a tech, cannot get products, may have barkeeper's on hand) ... that way, users with appropriate knowledge can suggest them a safe and accessible option. Otherwise, people take time to offer solutions which may have not been available to start with...

Let me give you a silly example.
If you ask me how to make an omelet : I will write down a recipe and will advise that you cook it in a non-stick pan.
If you reply saying... ok well, i do not have all the ingredients and I certainly do not have that pan.
Then, I will give you some alternative ingredients and perhaps another way to cook the omelet in another vessel, perhaps at a different temperature.
Then if you write back telling me that in the end, you made pancakes because really, there was no way you could make a proper omelet in your conditions... I will feel like you have wasted my time.. On top of that, I may have had a sick pancake recipe to share !

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I already had barkeepers friend available to me... I did not have to go out and buy it.
Could you explain your situation further? Of course we don't want there to be a next time, however if there is one there is likely still better options.

shumaislife

Rinkside
I totally get not being able to go a skate tech right away. I live 2 hours (4 hours round trip) away from a trusted tech. Not only that, you would have to pay to restore the blade. However, mineral oil and scrub pads/sponge is like... $4 tops at Walmart.

If it was my fault in the first place that my blades rusted, and a professional skater told me (after I asked specifically for advice) that it would take $4 and the time to go to a grocery/drugstore to grab the supplies, I wouldn't find that too unreasonable to accomplish.

Last edited:

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
then perhaps the OP should make it clear in their post what obstacles are faced (cannot see a tech, cannot get products, may have barkeeper's on hand) ... that way, users with appropriate knowledge can suggest them a safe and accessible option. Otherwise, people take time to offer solutions which may have not been available to start with...

Let me give you a silly example.
If you ask me how to make an omelet : I will write down a recipe and will advise that you cook it in a non-stick pan.
If you reply saying... ok well, i do not have all the ingredients and I certainly do not have that pan.
Then, I will give you some alternative ingredients and perhaps another way to cook the omelet in another vessel, perhaps at a different temperature.
Then if you write back telling me that in the end, you made pancakes because really, there was no way you could make a proper omelet in your conditions... I will feel like you have wasted my time.. On top of that, I may have had a sick pancake recipe to share !
If a poster is not comfortable divulging the "why" of their obstacle, it is none of our business.

I do agree with your comment of feeling like your / our time gets wasted. That happens a lot in these (and other) forums.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
If a poster is not comfortable divulging the "why" of their obstacle, it is none of our business.

I do agree with your comment of feeling like your / our time gets wasted. That happens a lot in these (and other) forums.
did I ask about personal information? nope.. I simply said that the OP should provide appropriate information if they want to get an answer that fits their situation.... but we do agree : i have lost enough time on this :) hasta la vista baby !

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
They never stated their obstacle in the first place. I don't need to know the "why" of an obstacle to solve the problem, but I need to know what the obstacle is.
I skated on them and they were perfectly fine :shrug:
Usually when you do things like this they will be fine at first, however you have opened your blades up to many future problems. Be careful and never forget to wipe you blades again. It should take you over a minute otherwise you aren't hitting all the spots.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Of course going to a tech is best option. But - question for those more knowledgeable than I on this topic:

How about taking a blade sharpening stone and giving them a very light going over along the blade? Many coaches keep a stone on-hand.

Then perhaps take your own advice? IDK, the OP asked for best option if they couldn't get to tech and I and others gave that advice, which I/we did not have to do. It was a safe option if they could not do the number one thing which is always go to tech and trust them to fix the problem. I've travelled the world with two pairs of skates in tow and crap happens and believe me, when I say I know what it's like to not have the luxury of a tech at my disposal 24/7. So perhaps one shouldn't assume that I or others do or don't, and if didn't have solution maybe not even engage in said thread?