Highest scores & analysis - Men | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Highest scores & analysis - Men

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I noticed that FSGMT included WTT but satine94 did not - if WTT 2012 was included, Takahashi would be 3rd on the FS PCS ranking with 93.58.

Thank you for the hard work compiling these rankings!

Alright I went through the 2014 Olympic TE & 2012-2013 WTT protocols and managed to add seven new listings! :eek:

Updated additions:

SP PCS
Patrick Chan 44.93 2012 WTT
Yuzuru Hanyu 45.43 2014 Olympic TE
Patrick Chan 45.68 2014 Olympic TE

SP TES
Yuzuru Hanyu 52.55 2014 Olympic TE

FS BV
Kevin Reynolds 85.52 2013 WTT

FS PCS
Patrick Chan 91.22 2012 WTT
Daisuke Takahashi 93.58 2012 WTT

unico

Final Flight
There's almost not a lot to discuss because these lists are so dominated by Chanyu :laugh: Except the BV lists, really.

Does anybody know if Machida is working on a 4S/another quad? I think he's gonna need it if he wants to "crush" Hanyu this year.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I was watching the link posted earlier (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGNCOU31WiQ) and was thinking, his quads look as effortless as his triples. Then came the phantom of the opera music T_T.

I know right. Phantom... Really? He's capable of sooooo much more and Phantom is already done to death by Patrick/D&W/etc.

That jump layout is insane. I'm assuming the 3A-3S combo is for the purposes of GOE bonus and in case he misses that second axel he can always tack the 3S onto the final lutz.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
There's almost not a lot to discuss because these lists are so dominated by Chanyu :laugh: Except the BV lists, really.

Yes it is mostly Chan & Hanyu. Here's the breakdown frequency of turning up on the lists:
Brian Joubert 1
Denis Ten 1
Evgeni Plushenko 1
Nobunari Oda 1
Richard Dornbush 1
Tomas Verner 1

Max Aaron 2

Maxim Kovtun 3
Takahiko Kozuka 3

Kevin Reynolds 5
Tatsuki Machida 5

Javier Fernandez 6

Daisuke Takahashi 8

Patrick Chan 31
Yuzuru Hanyu 31
(surprisingly tied)

And by country:
Czech Republic: 1
France: 1
Kazakhstan: 1

USA: 3

Russia: 4

Spain: 6

Canada: 36

Japan: 48

Ryusa5

Rinkside
Axel combinations can be done like that. Plushenko once used a 3A-1Lo-3F.
It was about the first 3A,in the clips he does 2 versions,once 4T-3T 3A-2T and the other time 4T-2T 3A-3T.I guess it will depend on his quad landing ,if it's good he'll probably add the triple there

Wo|flax

Final Flight

Does anybody know if Machida is working on a 4S/another quad? I think he's gonna need it if he wants to "crush" Hanyu this year.
He could start by moving his 3A3T to the second half (2 axel jumps in the second half), move one of the lesser jumps to the first half. That would have been enough for Worlds '14 win. I wonder how he felt after the scores in the SP came up, and then his LP scores, and he realized Yuzus GPF LP performance with a fall would be enough to win. I mean I wonder if he regretted not having a higher BV now that he was in a good position after the SP.

For his worlds '15 declaration, With the new rules, he does have the advantage of no lip or flutz(that I know of?), while Yuzu has a constant lip (95 is insane, but whats the value after the new lip BV deduction?) But with Yuzurus new crazy layout Tatsu probably needs a 4S.
Edit: I don't know if he's going to try it, but how likely is it that he can add a new quad jump at his age? On the other hand, he also managed to magically stabilize his 4T and 3A in one off season so idk.

Meoima

Match Penalty
The new edge rule will harm a lip about 1.59 points (30% deduction). And BV for 3F is 5.3.
Not to mention, YuUru does not get the e call on every flip he execute, it's about 7/13 flips he get the e call. So if he manage to fix his Flip this season, other guys have to wish for him to make terrible mistake.

Yuzuru's new BV is 95, if he is clean with that insane layout, a lip costs him not much. So yes, to challenge him, other guys need 2 different quads in their arsenal. After all you can't just wait for other competitors to make mistake. What if your competitors make no mistake at all? To skate your best is the only choice.

unico

Final Flight
The new edge rule will harm a lip about 1.59 points (30% deduction). And BV for 3F is 5.3.
Not to mention, YuUru does not get the e call on every flip he execute, it's about 7/13 flips he get the e call. So if he manage to fix his Flip this season, other guys have to wish for him to make terrible mistake.

Yuzuru's new BV is 95, if he is clean with that insane layout, a lip costs him not much. So yes, to challenge him, other guys need 2 different quads in their arsenal. After all you can't just wait for other competitors to make mistake. What if your competitors make no mistake at all? To skate your best is the only choice.

Hanyu's lip is more of an unclear edge (hence why it's called half the time) so with the reintroduction of the "!"/"e", he might get a "!" which retains the full BV of the flip (5.3). An "e" call would be -30% (3.7).

If we see 4-quad programs this quadrennial... :eek:

Wo|flax

Final Flight

Thanks for doing the math for me :biggrin: I was trying to weigh risk in too (since this layout removes a stable triple and replaces with an untested quad) but your right can't wait for mistakes; and hell, even with mistakes Yuzu would still be on top if others don't have BV to match.

ooh 7/13 really? I swear every protocol I check he gets 'e'. The only one I remember he didn't is the Olys(and he messed it up:bang:). I don't know if he can do all this, new layout, OGM press + shows, and fix the lip. If he does I'm going to start calling impossible things 'hanyu'. Aren't lips/flutz hard to fix? has anyone ever succeeded in getting rid of theirs 90%? Though maybe he'll just get '!' like he did in juniors.

Edit: I need to learn to type faster; but glad you agree about the '!'

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
WoChair, I looked it up all of his senior fs for you :p

no call, whether he fell or not:
NT 2011
COC 2011
COR 2011
GPF 2011
Worlds 2012
NHK 2012
GPF 2013
SC 2013
Olympics 2014

edge calls:
Japan Nationals 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
COR 2010
NHK 2010
4CC 2011, 2013
SA 2012
GPF 2012
FT 2012, 2013
TEB 2013
Worlds 2013, 2014

so 9-15

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Hanyu's lip is more of an unclear edge (hence why it's called half the time) so with the reintroduction of the "!"/"e", he might get a "!" which retains the full BV of the flip (5.3). An "e" call would be -30% (3.7).

If we see 4-quad programs this quadrennial... :eek:

I am not sure about 4-quad programs, but Orser said it is possible, and I think Javier can try this, he seems to have enough physical strength if he can keep his head fully concentrated :biggrin:

But I am sure we will see 3 diffrent quads program before 2018 by Yuzuru sal, toe and loop. Maybe Javier also should try it as he also is working on other quads

unico

Final Flight
Edit: I don't know if he's going to try it, but how likely is it that he can add a new quad jump at his age? On the other hand, he also managed to magically stabilize his 4T and 3A in one off season so idk.

I think he learned the 4T relatively late, maybe already in his 20s. I think he may be hitting his stride in terms of consistency and confidence, and his success last season must have fueled a competitive fire in him. Seeing as he announced that he changed his mind and was going to compete until Pyeongchang, I think he's ambitious and determined enough to train a 4S even at this stage in his career.

EDIT: just guessing of course :)

giulia95

Medalist
Jeez... hearing quad landings without music scares me half to death.

When you watch live competition, those sounds are pure adrenaline and beautiful music to ears! :cool:

Yuzu's impact sound is clean and very impressive, just like Mao's stunning 3A.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think he learned the 4T relatively late, maybe already in his 20s. I think he may be hitting his stride in terms of consistency and confidence, and his success last season must have fueled a competitive fire in him. Seeing as he announced that he changed his mind and was going to compete until Pyeongchang, I think he's ambitious and determined enough to train a 4S even at this stage in his career.
I bet if PChan comes back and intends to go to the next Olympic, he must have been training the 4S as well. :)

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I bet if PChan comes back and intends to go to the next Olympic, he must have been training the 4S as well. :)

He's already trained before but it was never brought to competition, they said 3S is not his strongest jump so it was kind of a question mark. Maybe he stopped before the Olympics to focus on what he already had, not sure.

Wo|flax

Final Flight

EDIT: just guessing of course :)

ooh I missed that announcement; that's really cool. It's funny, I would not be surprised if Javi, who isn't that much younger, added like 3 new quad jumps (though he's probably already been trying them), I guess I just don't think of Tatsu as a quad jumper. But you make a good point, it's certainly not impossible.