Hotels in Montreal for Worlds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Hotels in Montreal for Worlds

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
For most events, all event tickets go on sale first. Individual tickets are offered some time (sometimes months) later. Once the individual tickets go on sale, there are no more all event ones.
Oh, well. Maybe I will see something on resale. Day tickets are quite pricey

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
all-event tickets were a much better deal... a friend of mine decided to buy just one day, and it wasn't such a good seat and it was more than than what I paid pro-rata for the all-event pass.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I think all-event were even pricier. @4everchan should know.

You're running up against two things:
all tickets are higher, post-covid
Worlds tickets are always expensive
Yeah, but at least Mom spotted a cheap direct flight this morning, so I now have hotel and a plane ticket. Plus, Sunday flight is late in the afternoon, so I get a chance to see the downtown in Montreal. Will continue shopping for Fri/Sat tickets to the stadium over the next few months. At this price, I doubt they will be sold out anyway, so I can wait a while and see if someone will be selling with a bit of a discount privately. I let Mom decide if she wants to come or not.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yeah, but at least Mom spotted a cheap direct flight this morning, so I now have hotel and a plane ticket. Plus, Sunday flight is late in the afternoon, so I get a chance to see the downtown in Montreal. Will continue shopping for Fri/Sat tickets to the stadium over the next few months. At this price, I doubt they will be sold out anyway, so I can wait a while and see if someone will be selling with a bit of a discount privately. I let Mom decide if she wants to come or not.
Friday and Saturday are good picks to see a lot of skating with Men and Women LPs and all the dance... but no pairs. In 2020 I had purchased individual tickets and I think I had purchased 3 days to see a bit of everything. Of course, I understand that it's easier for locals. This time, I took an all-event pass as the seats were better than what I could get in day tickets in 2020.

Have you considered coming for the whole week on an all-event pass that would be sold at some sort of discount or is it just too long of a trip for you? I have to take a week off from work to fully enjoy the all-event pass... but I haven't decided if I will go to all practices because I could indeed work on Monday and Tuesday and focus on the actual competition.

I see people like attending practices. If anyone wants to chime in on why I should attend or not attend practices, I'd be curious. I don't even bother with galas most of the times, because I do love the competition adrenaline and cheering, so I wonder if practices would really be that much of an asset for me.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Friday and Saturday are good picks to see a lot of skating with Men and Women LPs and all the dance... but no pairs. In 2020 I had purchased individual tickets and I think I had purchased 3 days to see a bit of everything. Of course, I understand that it's easier for locals. This time, I took an all-event pass as the seats were better than what I could get in day tickets in 2020.

Have you considered coming for the whole week on an all-event pass that would be sold at some sort of discount or is it just too long of a trip for you? I have to take a week off from work to fully enjoy the all-event pass... but I haven't decided if I will go to all practices because I could indeed work on Monday and Tuesday and focus on the actual competition.

I see people like attending practices. If anyone wants to chime in on why I should attend or not attend practices, I'd be curious. I don't even bother with galas most of the times, because I do love the competition adrenaline and cheering, so I wonder if practices would really be that much of an asset for me.
I am okay with no pairs :slink:

I LOVE practices, particularly for dance, because you can sit basically on the ice and see the couples turn on and off their chemistry. Also, guys like Malinin could treat you to a 4A once in a while in practice, but not in the run through. Plus, it supports the skaters and one can meet staunch fans, like Peter from Slovakia.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I expected you would say that ;)
The hotel is pricey, and yeah, I already take time off in January for the Nationals. And I can't leave my green babies for too many days in March, because I will have seedlings planted by then and my family might forget about them.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The hotel is pricey, and yeah, I already take time off in January for the Nationals. And I can't leave my green babies for too many days in March, because I will have seedlings planted by then and my family might forget about them.
Nationals is fun ! You will see two of the best pairs there anyway (and I get you with seedlings... I spend a lot of time with mine HA!)

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I sometimes think going to practices is the best part of any competition! No matter how poor your actual assigned seat is, you can sit in the first row center at practice, and watch everyone—all the greatest skaters in the world—close up. This is especially useful for dance nerds such as myself who enjoy seeing displays of technical mastery :)

Also, if you enjoy having random encounters with skaters, practice is THE place to do it, as they are often just casually strolling around at that time, and only too happy to meet you in a more relaxed atmosphere.

Going to practice—and dressing warmly—is probably my top tip for those who are new to going to competitions.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I sometimes think going to practices is the best part of any competition! No matter how poor your actual assigned seat is, you can sit in the first row center at practice, and watch everyone—all the greatest skaters in the world—close up. This is especially useful for dance nerds such as myself who enjoy seeing displays of technical mastery :)

Also, if you enjoy having random encounters with skaters, practice is THE place to do it, as they are often just casually strolling around and only too happy to meet you in a more relaxed atmosphere.

Going to practice—and dressing warmly—is probably my top tip for those who are new to going to competitions.
Thanks. I have been only to one practice session at Aci... I got to compare Yuzu and Javi ... On the same Ice. Quite interesting and revealing. However, it was just a bit prior to the competition start. I have attended quite a few events since 2015 or 2016... but never made a point to go strictly for practices. Worlds is a very long week... I will see what I can handle. You make a valid point about seeing the skaters from closer. I have good seats but not front row. I rarely talk to skaters so for me that is not a priority... As a performer myself, I find small talk very small ...

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don't really like practices much. During the run-throughs, they often mark the jumps or only do parts of the program. We watched the second flight SP dancers at Skate Canada, and all of them would do the beginning of their run-through, then stop and just skate around as the music played, then pick up the program again.

I do find it helpful to go once to find my seats and figure out the layout. It was especially useful in Kelowna, where the quickest route to our seat involved going to a dead end corridor, entering the stands and climbing to the very top, going around, then going down our aisle. My daughter's plane landed at the Kelowna airport within minutes of the start of the RD, and we only missed one flight of skaters, due to my reconnaisance mission the previous day.

Like you, I don't really try to talk to skaters. But we saw LOTS of them up close and personal in Kelowna, due to sitting on the short end behind the Kiss'n'Cry. They kept popping up the stairs to our aisle, which was blocked off from below for spectaros, but not for the skaters. We also saw a lot of skaters warming up in the empty space behind the last row of seats.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Nationals is fun ! You will see two of the best pairs there anyway (and I get you with seedlings... I spend a lot of time with mine HA!)
P/M are really exciting. After all these years, and I/B fiasco, it's nice to see something that's clicking like that. The dance is the biggest item for us, so I picked the tickets right on the ice for it, because we both love watching it from up close.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
P/M are really exciting. After all these years, and I/B fiasco, it's nice to see something that's clicking like that. The dance is the biggest item for us, so I picked the tickets right on the ice for it, because we both love watching it from up close.
Dance at Nationals is awesome !!!! I remember fondly the Virtue-Moir, Weaver-Poje, Gilles-Poirier podiums... Got to see it at Nationals once and in Pierrefonds (very close). The current crop is even deeper I would say. Hopefully the men will bring it on. There is a chance for a brand new champion. I'd love to see Schizas live too. I probably will soon enough :)

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Dance at Nationals is awesome !!!! I remember fondly the Virtue-Moir, Weaver-Poje, Gilles-Poirier podiums... Got to see it at Nationals once and in Pierrefonds (very close). The current crop is even deeper I would say. Hopefully the men will bring it on. There is a chance for a brand new champion. I'd love to see Schizas live too. I probably will soon enough :)
Maddie's FS was a real highlight of Skate Canada. If I had had any throwing stuffies with me, I would have chucked them all on the ice for her!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I saw Schizas live twice and she is great. That Corpse Bride dance is something we really want to see live, plus Piper/Paul and LaLa are like...brill. Hopefully, Shiryaeva will be there too, so we can cheer for her. There are also hometown kids and a few West Canadians on national teams, like those Davids in juniors, so we'll be super-happy with that.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I saw Schizas live twice and she is great. That Corpse Bride dance is something we really want to see live, plus Piper/Paul and LaLa are like...brill. Hopefully, Shiryaeva will be there too, so we can cheer for her. There are also hometown kids and a few West Canadians on national teams, like those Davids in juniors, so we'll be super-happy with that.
Check out the BC sectionals starting tomorrow if you have time :) https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/t...nior-and-senior-sectionals.95798/post-3198037

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Nah, watching Kazan' then China, plus behind on the book, so busy season, heh.
Uliana is competing seniors though and the davids are there :) I am planning to watch BC sectionals, then move on to China in the middle of the night :)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Uliana is competing seniors though and the davids are there :) I am planning to watch BC sectionals, then move on to China in the middle of the night :)
Nice! Hope she does well!

And Mom decided to go to Montreal too. So, fingers crossed the competition is going to actually happen this time.