How do y’all watch so much skating? | Golden Skate

How do y’all watch so much skating?

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I knoooow! I love watching skating, but alas I can't stay up all night even on weekends! Need my zzzzs you see.

But there is always a Russian skating competition to watch on YouTube it seems, so if you ever have a hankering at some weird hour you can probably find something :laugh:

Last edited:

auser

Record Breaker
I knoooow! I love watching skating, but alas I can't stay up all night even on weekends! Need my zzzzs you see.

But there is always a Russian skating competition to watch on YouTube it seems, so if you ever have a hankering at some weird hour you can probably find something :laugh:
Moonvine and you are far more sensible than I.;) But as a person with asthma that can sometimes wake me prematurely/keep me from sleeping, I really appreciate that there is wonderful skating to watch somewhere with fellow GS fans. Way better than feeling anxious while trying to breathe.:)

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I really appreciate that there is wonderful skating to watch somewhere with fellow GS fans. Way better than feeling anxious while trying to breathe.
Aww that's nice, not that you have asthma attacks but that skating is there ☺️

Although obviously some of those Russian comps are for teeny tiny skaters, but they're super cute and a lot of them are really good!

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Aww that's nice, not that you have asthma attacks but that skating is there ☺️

Although obviously some of those Russian comps are for teeny tiny skaters, but they're super cute and a lot of them are really good!

Just thought you may be interested to know that, now that the Novice, Junior and Senior competitions are over, the Tallinn Trophy has a whole weekend of competitions for the teeny tiny skaters.

The link for today's stream is in this post in the event thread.

CaroLiza_fan

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I pick and choose rather carefully. When it's so busy with competitions I only watch Pair comps and the men's. Work will intervene, so sometimes it is necessary to rewatch (and not all streams make that possible). When it's less busy I also watch ID. The women's only in rare cases - like when a favourite is taking part. I do try to follow the results in all disciplines, but that takes less time..

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I often take the highlights. But I often also do something at the same time: streching, some of my exercise, bake, knit, clean our apartment, sometimes I carry the computer from room to another when I do cleaning. Ironing is also quite easy to do during watching. I hate ironing, so FS is something which gives me motivation to do it. This weekend I just decided to skip some and just watch during I had something reasonable to do while watching or watch just the skaters I like most and the final groups.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I can honestly say that before Youtube, I didn't watch nearly as much skating as I do now. Back in the 80's and early 90's the only way I could re-watch a program was if I taped with my VCR. Now, it's much easier to watch skating due to the downloads people put on GS and other sites. I just watched Lindsay's Free Skate from Warsaw on Youtube. Back in the day, I never would have been able to see it since it was not a GP event that the US broadcast.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can honestly say that before Youtube, I didn't watch nearly as much skating as I do now. Back in the 80's and early 90's the only way I could re-watch a program was if I taped with my VCR. Now, it's much easier to watch skating due to the downloads people put on GS and other sites. I just watched Lindsay's Free Skate from Warsaw on Youtube. Back in the day, I never would have been able to see it since it was not a GP event that the US broadcast.
Back in the day I had no idea the Warsaw Cup existed.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I often take the highlights. But I often also do something at the same time: streching, some of my exercise, bake, knit, clean our apartment, sometimes I carry the computer from room to another when I do cleaning. Ironing is also quite easy to do during watching. I hate ironing, so FS is something which gives me motivation to do it. This weekend I just decided to skip some and just watch during I had something reasonable to do while watching or watch just the skaters I like most and the final groups.
I can’t do any of those things and watch. Maybe something with very minimal attention required such as crush cans for recycling. If I try to do too much (including posting) I’m just listening to skating and not watching it. Which isn’t as fulfilling at all.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's hard to watch live. I like to sleep in on the weekends, so I wasn't going to get up at 7AM to watch the Ladies FS in France, lol. I feel for someone like Jackie Wong (who also lives in NY) who is live tweeting these events at all hours. I don't think he gets paid (other than through donations or his Rockergear proceeds), so I give him a lot of credit.

I generally look at the standings and then watch the individual clips on the ISU Channel that I want to watch. Usually it's either my faves or the Top 5 or 6.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
'Live skating' for me:
1. Vicarious experience through reading the competition thread (pineapple pizza debates and all)
2. Fill in the blanks with my imagination
3. When time permits, go and watch the interesting/funny bits

Honestly I'm really happy that archived competition streams are so ubiquitous/officially-sanctioned nowadays, and that the GS competition threads are open to all :)