How do y’all watch so much skating? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How do y’all watch so much skating?

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
If I have no time to watch live, I also sometimes look the results and then pick some skaters I like and the best, if the competition is archived. If I have not time to watch live but have time to do it later, then I may keep the excitement and watch the whole competition later without knowing the results, depending on how many skaters there are.

On 90's Eurosport showed almost all big competitions live and almost every skater. And they replayed it many times. I was as a housewife about five years when my children were little. You know what I did while they had nap. Sometimes my mother in law came just to be able to watch, she was also a huge fan on FS but had not even possibility to get Eurosport on the countryside she lived. We were sitting and knitting about 5 hours nonstop and boys were playing on the floor.

Of course sometimes I miss some elements while doing things during watching, but when I knit I choose easy things to do. I have done it so much, so I need not to look it very much. At the moment I knit beanies for charity, those are quite easy to do while watching TV.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If I have no time to watch live, I also sometimes look the results and then pick some skaters I like and the best, if the competition is archived. If I have not time to watch live but have time to do it later, then I may keep the excitement and watch the whole competition later without knowing the results, depending on how many skaters there are.

On 90's Eurosport showed almost all big competitions live and almost every skater. And they replayed it many times. I was as a housewife about five years when my children were little. You know what I did while they had nap. Sometimes my mother in law came just to be able to watch, she was also a huge fan on FS but had not even possibility to get Eurosport on the countryside she lived. We were sitting and knitting about 5 hours nonstop and boys were playing on the floor.

Of course sometimes I miss some elements while doing things during watching, but when I knit I choose easy things to do. I have done it so much, so I need not to look it very much. At the moment I knit beanies for charity, those are quite easy to do while watching TV.
Knitting for charity is such a nice thing to do.

I wanted to watch the whole Warsaw Cup, but there was just no way.

sadya

On the Ice
Country
Netherlands
When I was younger, I'd tape competitions I couldn't watch live. Now I find myself watching skating on YT more often. It's easy, especially when I don't have the time to watch entire competitions any more (I used to watch entire live Eurosport broadcasts, often 3-5 hours of skating, I watched literally everything Eurosport aired back in the 90s).

When I have less time, but want to watch many programs, I find YT easy because I only play the programs I want to see and when it stops, I don't have to wait for marks and can play the one immediately. In the end, I can always look at the results and marks on isuresults. It saves me time which I otherwise don't have.

I'm also less patient with skating nowadays, I don't like music? Then less change I'm watching that program. I skipp programs more often. I don't always like the music, allowing lyrics didn't really improve that part of skating for me. Sometimes I will still watch a program to music I don't like. Overall, the way I watch skating has changed along with the "newer" ways to watch it.

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Peacock, YouTube, The Olympic Channel, NBC. And, yes, after all these decades of watching skating this was the first time I got to watch the Warsaw Cup as well. That was from a live stream on their event website.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When I was younger, I'd tape competitions I couldn't watch live. Now I find myself watching skating on YT more often. It's easy, especially when I don't have the time to watch entire competitions any more (I used to watch entire live Eurosport broadcasts, often 3-5 hours of skating, I watched literally everything Eurosport aired back in the 90s).

When I have less time, but want to watch many programs, I find YT easy because I only play the programs I want to see and when it stops, I don't have to wait for marks and can play the one immediately. In the end, I can always look at the results and marks on isuresults. It saves me time which I otherwise don't have.

I'm also less patient with skating nowadays, I don't like music? Then less change I'm watching that program. I skipp programs more often. I don't always like the music, allowing lyrics didn't really improve that part of skating for me. Sometimes I will still watch a program to music I don't like. Overall, the way I watch skating has changed along with the "newer" ways to watch it.
I like to watch it live. But after having gotten up yesterday at 8 am and watching skating until 1 am the following day - well actually by 1 am I was lying here with my eyes closed just listening to the scores to make sure Gracie had made it to Nationals - I’m ready for a break.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Nowadays I only watch the high level practice sessions at my rink (watching people who are just learning quads is more entertaining than a perfectly done one, I'll tell you that) while doing schoolwork and random performances on YouTube while procrastinating said schoolwork.

When I was younger I would have it on while doing schoolwork basically all the time. I have ADHD and unlike most people, having stuff on in the background gives my brain the ability to focus better. When I get bored of the school, I could look up and see a beautiful triple jump and then go back to my work. It kept my brain from getting bored with Algebra.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I got up at 8 to watch Free Dance. It is now 1246 the next day and I must stay up to watch this last group just. to make 1000% sure Gracie is going to Nationals. Really Spokane…you couldn’t have done this a wee bit earlier?
I cant believe they kept up those poor ladies to after 11 pm! Who skates well after a long day like that? Glad I didnt go for the free. Driving near midnight at my age isnt wise....
ice fog.jpg

OK, I DID miss seeing live some of my fav skaters but they will be at Nats
hanna harrel.jpg

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The only issue with Peacock on demand is you have to stay off of social media till you have time to watch. Lord knows the results wont be on the TV news....But you can also fast forward through the zamboni and warm ups.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The only issue with Peacock on demand is you have to stay off of social media till you have time to watch. Lord knows the results wont be on the TV news....But you can also fast forward through the zamboni and warm ups.
And don’t read here or on social media.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I cant believe they kept up those poor ladies to after 11 pm! Who skates well after a long day like that? Glad I didnt go for the free. Driving near midnight at my age isnt wise....
View attachment 4611

OK, I DID miss seeing live some of my fav skaters but they will be at Nats
View attachment 4612
At Cranberry they were practicing at 11 pm. I don’t know how they get used to all the time changes. I have a problem with one hour difference

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I think I have finally found a watching pattern that suits me - watching when I have time to sit down to it, preferably with a mug of hot tea. ^ ^ I am fortunate in that being unable to watch live doesn't bother me at all. I don't have a smart TV and if there's a way to record online streams, I am unaware of it, so that's a problem sometimes. But fortunately our TV archives most of the GP, and other events have free streams, which makes me happy.

I am good at avoiding spoilers, but the biggest offender here is the JGP, which features videos of winner interviews usually way before I get to watching the stream. I wish they'd at least omit the winners' names in the video titles, and left there something vague like 'winner/silver medalist/etc interview'.

I am a diligent viewer who enjoys seeing full events including warmups, so that takes time. I still haven't watched most of JGP pairs and ID for instance, and some of this content from the senior GP. And unlike last year, I still haven't watched a single stream of Cup of Russia. I hope they are linked here on GS somewhere, as I don't fancy looking for it on YT in the depths of the First Channel videos O_O

My dream is for the ISU to create an archive of their own, ungeoblocked and unbothered by dumb music company bans, with videos and streams of all competitions available. Including Nationals. Watching RusNats is easy peasy, and my gratitude goes to the channel that leaves the full coverages on Youtube. The Japanese Nats have disappointed me big time in this respect in the last few years. It is a marvel their skaters are so popular despite the JSF sabotaging overseas people from watching JNats, and taking down videos which are several years old for being copyrighted by their channels which hardly ever re-broadcast them.

But all in all, free online streams have made my watching so much more comfortable, even if I am always catching up with content and have to prioritize. :)