Hughes on cover of "Blades on Ice" Magazine | Golden Skate

Hughes on cover of "Blades on Ice" Magazine

I think the experience in SOI will give the answer eventually. Meantime for me, her body has become more on the zoftiq side which does not bode lovely line.

Joe

euterpe

Medalist
If Sarah has thoughts of returning to eligible competition, she's going to have to take off that extra weight. As of December, she still hadn't gotten her triples back, and with no triples, she isn't competitive. Touring with SOI won't exactly give her time to practice jumps, so I don't see how it can answer the question as to whether she will try to defend her OGM. Offhand, I'd say under CoP she has NO chance to do so unless she has solved her flutzing/underrotating.

mzheng

Record Breaker
euterpe said:
If Sarah has thoughts of returning to eligible competition, she's going to have to take off that extra weight. As of December, she still hadn't gotten her triples back, and with no triples, she isn't competitive. Touring with SOI won't exactly give her time to practice jumps, so I don't see how it can answer the question as to whether she will try to defend her OGM. Offhand, I'd say under CoP she has NO chance to do so unless she has solved her flutzing/underrotating.

IMO, its shame that the latest OGM can't do any triples, while the older ones, who skated in the same show still could do some of them.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
The latest OGM took a year off and did an occasional recreational spin on ice during that time. Whether she has her triples back by next spring is the critical question for her competitive career. She's working daily with a group of skaters who should be able to help her with this.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How can they help her with triples when most of them can't do any? Kristi and Yuka are the only skaters that do triples and they don't appear in every show. Touring means the skaters get on a bus, travel to the next venue, rehearse, do a show, then get back on the bus. There's precious little time to do anything else.

Next spring?? The Olympics will be over next WINTER! The SOI tour continues through the end of the skating season, and if she doesn't have her triples back by then, she can forget about competing at Torino. She needs to get her jumps back NOW so she can start working this summer on programs competitive under CoP.

Last edited:

Linny

Final Flight
Don't have to do triples

As ad hoc coaches, the other skaters don't have to be able to do triples to help Sarah with her triples... do you think that Tatiana or Frank or Richard or Robin regularly do triples to help their skaters with their triples?
Linny

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, but I wouldn't be looking to other skaters to be coaches, either. These skaters are touring in a show, and that's how they make their living, not coaching. Any other pros traveling with the show of necessity have to be concerned with the numbers in the show, not with the possible competitive futures of the cast members.

It's like working and going to school at night. You certainly couldn't expect your employer to look the other way if you spent half your time at work doing your homework assignments. Any work Sarah has to do to upgrade her skills is her own business, as it's pretty obvious from seeing the low level of skating by most of the cast members that double jumps are perfectly acceptable.

Eeyora

Final Flight
As of now I don't think her skating ever fit COP's. The question would be Can she adapt to it? No0t only does she need triples but her greatest weapon besides her consistentcy was her 3/3's can she get that back? Also she needs better jump technique. No more flutzing.

Fossi

Final Flight
Well, they said Sarah would never beat Irina, Michelle and Sasha in the same competition....and she did just that. :rock:
Go Sarah!

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
How can they help her with triples when most of them can't do any? Kristi and Yuka are the only skaters that do triples and they don't appear in every show. Touring means the skaters get on a bus, travel to the next venue, rehearse, do a show, then get back on the bus. There's precious little time to do anything else.
The last time I heard, Yagudin was helping Tarasova's summer students with their jumps, and not only can he can do triples, he was taught by the best living jump technician. Looking at the cast list, Sarah Hughes is the only one who can't do a triple: all of the pairs skaters and Gordeeva can do at least one, and Sale, Pelletier, and Ina were originally singles skaters, and probably could do more, at least at some point. Eldredge has an arsenal, as do Kulik, Browning, and Weiss. It's hard to imagine that with that group of skaters, that there wouldn't be a single colleague who would be willing to help out the reigning OGM, even for a short time. Or offer to train with her -- skaters often compete with each other in friendly competition when they train together.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Fossi, you obviously like Sarah.. What is it that makes you a fan of hers? She has a lovely layback and had one of those once in a lifetime skates at SLC, beating Kwan and Slutskaya who did not skate their best. There has got to be something that you see that I am missing.

Fossi is not alone. In the latest issue of Spotlight on Skating there is a picture of Sarah with a lady named Kathy Nimmer. Ms. Nimmer was in New York to receive an award as "Teacher of the Year" from the Turn Around Management Association (an organization that helps small businesses). The caption says. "It was Kathy's number one wish to meet Sarah Hughes."

I checked this out on the web. Ms. Nimmer, a High School teacher in Indiana, is blind. She has delevoped eductional programs for students with a large array of learning handicaps.

After the awards ceremony, Ms. Nimmer put up a "report card" of her experiences in NY. Here's what she says about Sarah:

A+ = the biggest, incredible surprise!!! I had the wonderful opportunity to visit with Sarah Hughes, the Olympic gold medallist in figure skating from 2002!! Long story how it happened*, but she has always been my favorite skater, largely because of her character and integrity. She was even more down-to-earth than I expected, taking great interest in my award and Braille and guide dogs and many other things. We spent a half hour together in her agent's office while her agent, her mother, and my friend chatted off to the side. It was a special arrangement that was an amazing and memorable experience. She gave me all kinds of gifts including tickets and backstage passes to the Stars on Ice show in Chicago in February. Those who know my figure skating passion can only imagine how thrilled I was that this happened!"

(Meeting NY Mayor Rudy Guiliani only got an A, LOL. Broadway shows, A-)

*I think it was arranged by Sarah's agent at IMG, David Baden.

BTW, Sarah will be featured on the cover of the next Spotlight on Skating.

OK, this is not about Sarah's actual skating, but still, :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Mathman

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I am in 100% agreement that she is a wonderful role model, intelligent, a great gal...... but what is it about her skating that makes her special?

Different strokes for different folks, but to me, what was unique about Sarah was that basically, she seemed to have no natural talent for the sport, no natural balletic grace, not even the right body type. Figure skaters are supposed to look and move like Kristi Yamaguchi. Say "figure skater" in your mind, and the image that pops up is Yuka Sato, or Katia Gordeeva, or Peggy Fleming.

But by hard work, a cheerful disposition, and the grace of God, she mastered one skill after another, marching her way up the figure skating world one competition at at time. Girl next door goes off to the big city, and by hard work, by constant struggle and sacrifice, she faces down the big-town bullies (Michelle, LOL) and earns her day in the sun.

OK, that didn't answer your question, but that's my opinion, LOL.

Mathman

Linny

Final Flight
Loved it

And she LOVED it. It translated to her every performance. Her sister Emily seems to be the same way. Her face lights up as soon as she steps on the ice.

Linny

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Sarah loved it until she won the OGM. After that, she was a most reluctant competitor and Robin had a problem getting her to the rink to practice. As a result, she went from being Olympic champion to finishing behind skaters she'd beaten at SLC at the Crest and Hallmark competitions, at US Nationals, at Worlds 2003 and at the USFS Spring cheesefest.

Sarah was completely burnt out and after that last competition, where she finished 8th of 8, she put her skates away and never put them on again for over a year.

I think something similar is happening to Shizuka Arakawa this year. She looks nervous and tentative and her heart doesn't seem to be in her skating.

mzheng

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
I think something similar is happening to Shizuka Arakawa this year. She looks nervous and tentative and her heart doesn't seem to be in her skating.

The difference is in any other country you are not as 'freedom' as in states. You have the 'rights' to do whatever you like, you pleased to do. So she was kind of 'forced' into competetions by Japanese Federation. Or may be she felt a kind of obligation to skate well this season to help Japan secure 3 spots for next Olympics. I do think Arakawa has the feeling of 'duty', she talked last season she stick around with Miki when they went to the competetion together, since that was Miki's first season competed at senior world.

This just make me more appreciated the old war horses like Michelle, Irina, and Arakawa more.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Sughes might have been a bit more excited and motivated to get to the rink after the post OGM fury was over had she been healthy, but she was coming back from an injury as well.