Iconic jump combination | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Iconic jump combination

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I feel barfy just thinking about rotating a triple in one direction and then doing another one immediately after in the other direction. Talk about screwing with your equilibrium! :laugh:

From an aesthetic standpoint, I think doing triples in multiple directions as a part of a combo wouldn't look smooth or "pretty", it would be pretty choppy and clunky looking.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I feel barfy just thinking about rotating a triple in one direction and then doing another one immediately after in the other direction. Talk about screwing with your equilibrium! :laugh:

From an aesthetic standpoint, I think doing triples in multiple directions as a part of a combo wouldn't look smooth or "pretty", it would be pretty choppy and clunky looking.

I agree with you that no matter how well they're are done, they just don't look that great. Also, they are very difficult to execute and IMO, are not worth the risk because most people can't really tell the difference. For those of you who have seen The PLAY, not the Movie, "A Chorus Line", There is a number performed by Cassie called "Music And The Mirror" During this number, she performs double, or sometimes triple Pirouette's in both directions while traveling across the stage ( Usually in 3" Character Shoes ) and even when perfectly executed, it just wasn't exciting and the audience couldn't tell that she was turning in different directions.

My next question would be, how many points would this skill add to a skater's score. I know that spinning in both directions can gain big points. However, it looks terrible when not cleanly executed. Is it worth the risk??

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
My next question would be, how many points would this skill add to a skater's score. I know that spinning in both directions get gain big points. However, it looks terrible when not cleanly executed. Is it worth the risk??

Under the current rules, spinning in both directions can gain one level in one spin per program. That isn't "big points," but every little bit can help, especially for a skater who can execute that skill without losing GOE but can't earn the levels in more common ways, e.g., by flexibility moves.

Under the current rules, jumping in both directions is not rewarded at all. It would guarantee zero extra points and might lose points in GOE.

We're fantasizing that we would like to see the rules changed to explicitly reward jumping in both directions. But unless someone at the ISU is thinking along the same lines, it's not going to happen any time soon.

I think that fantasy needs to start with imagining junior and senior skaters incorporating reverse-direction single axels and double jumps in their jump combinations and sequences (and single jumps at lower levels). We could probably start seeing that within a year of explicit rules being written to reward it, especially if the reward is high enough.

We probably would not see triple jumps in both directions for at least 5-10 years after the rewards are first introduced, and even then it would remain very rare. And iconic for anyone who can pull it off. ;)

mrrice

Record Breaker
gkelly, it will be interesting to see if something like jumping in both directions ever takes off. Even when I was at the top of my dance career, we very rarely trained turning in both directions once the show started. During rehearsals and sometimes for an audition, a choreographer will ask dancers to turn in both directions to gauge their level of training but I have rarely had to turn in different directions for a show or video. In fact, I never did a double anything in Grease 2. Unless you count stag leaps. :laugh2:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...ToFgwuLEJYj2b7yfC-lxUrTE7HqCJJY42gtA0TsFRpocB

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
and it looked so easy and effortless...midori ito... still the best after almost 30 years
Amazing... and the commentator just robot talking about her while she did that and about the ice being so wet :confused: If a woman skater did this now in warm up :eek: :hap57:

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How about 2 iconic and very pretty combos by Jill Trenary in 1988
At 0:45 split jump-triple toe-falling leaf
At 1:10 1 foot axel - triple salchow ( a personal favorite)

https://youtu.be/HjM1MMQTqFc

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
gkelly, it will be interesting to see if something like jumping in both directions ever takes off. Even when I was at the top of my dance career, we very rarely trained turning in both directions once the show started. During rehearsals and sometimes for an audition, a choreographer will ask dancers to turn in both directions to gauge their level of training but I have rarely had to turn in different directions for a show or video. In fact, I never did a double anything in Grease 2. Unless you count stag leaps. :laugh2:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...ToFgwuLEJYj2b7yfC-lxUrTE7HqCJJY42gtA0TsFRpocB

It's not exactly a combo, but here is a very young Janet Lynn doing double loops in both directions. https://youtu.be/NiPabVuiGBM?t=90

andromache

Record Breaker
I don't think an iconic combination has to be unique. An iconic combo can be who is best known for doing a particular jump combo because they did it the best. Yuna's 3Lutz-3Toe for example, or Patrick Chan's 4Toe-3Toe. Evgenia and Elena Rad for being able to do a -3Toe off of anything.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I don't think an iconic combination has to be unique. An iconic combo can be who is best known for doing a particular jump combo because they did it the best. Yuna's 3Lutz-3Toe for example, or Patrick Chan's 4Toe-3Toe. Evgenia and Elena Rad for being able to do a -3Toe off of anything.

These were great (with the exception of Medvedeva and especially Radionova) but I wouldn't say those people did them the "best."

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

I disagree, I read it as unique. As for "who did it the best", that will always be subjective. I argue strongly against Yuna having the best 3Lz-3T, she doesn't even have the best 3Lz among the ladies, and there are plenty of men I can name who have a better combo. Patrick with the best 4T-3T?! You're actually joking, right?