Impressions From Skate Canada | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Impressions From Skate Canada

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
RGirl returns, :rock: ! I'm glad to see you back. We've missed you! Also, interesting thoughts on the evolution of Fumie. I think it would be really crazy if she went full circle and decided to go back to the more traditional style for the Olympics. But, I don't want to see that yet. I liked this new Fumie and I commend her for experimenting. This style/choreography did greatly emphasize her strong points. And, even though she made numerous mistakes, it looked to me as though Fumie was comfortable with this program/style. I think that is a very big thing for her. Now, she just needs to hit those jumps! The rest is there.

ITA about Julia, too. She was never a personal favorite of mine, but I also began to respect her last year. She had two great programs and worked very hard to accomplish the things she did. I haven't seen her SP, but her "Carmen" LP didn't suit her. Hopefully, she'll have time to regroup or improve things. I want her to be in a solid position to defend her European title.

Phaneuf is interesting. She is young, but there is so much potential there. I liked her comments about gaining experience in 2006 in order to set herself up for a medal in 2010. I'm sure she would love nothing more than to have that medal around her neck in Turino, but I appreciate her tactful approach. She is certainly one to watch.

Yoshie has made some improvements, but the poor thing still looks lost out there sometimes. She isn't comfortable with intricate choreography and, as someone mentioned above, soft/lyrical music really doesn't seem to work that well for her. But, I don't think anyone can deny that she seems to have such a sweet personality. She smiles in odd places during the program, but it is such a genuine, infectious smile. I wish the best for her. She deserves it.

bleuchick

On the Ice
Men - Buttle;Jahnke;Eman and Weir[though not in this event] are shaping up to be the Men of COP. The musical style and selections are varied. Most of all, choreography!!! Wow. If it wasn't for these guys, I would not have quickly come to like COP.

Ladies - I like Fumie's short program[pink panther] than the long. From the costume(purple and anything but pink) to the choreography. It seems so different. Oh well, :cool: short program.

Phanuef - this is the 2nd time that I have seen her and I cannot believe it is the same person who skated last year. Talk about improvement. She definitely has the IT factor. My hope is that David Wilson continue to create more programs like her LP.

Oh - and great to see you back Rgirl. :)

Nadine

Record Breaker
Off-topic:

Thanks for the tip, Rgirl, and GREAT to see you back in the house as well! :cool: Remember, take no prisoners & speak your mind, as always... :)

Peace & Love, Nadine

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I missed S&Z!!!! I think I may have fallen asleep during the pairs and woken up in time to see ladies (skating should be on sunday afternoons, not at midnight!!!). The only pairs I remember are the ones who did crazy lifts (polish maybe?) They blew my mind.

I enjoyed the men's skating emensely, which I usually dont. Ryan Jahnke and Buttle are a joy to watch, this was my first time seeing them. It was also my first time seeing a tano lutz, quite a gorgeous jump.

For the ladies, the only one I was really impressed with was Susanna P. I need a clean program out of one of these ladies pretty soon. Its really nice to see new ladies on the scene like phaneuf and meisnner... but I would much rather be watching more seasoned competetors.

Linny

Final Flight
Z&S vs P&T

Looking at the points, the TCS for the long program for Z&S was almost identicle to the TCS for the long program for P&T... which totally makes absolutely no sense. Pang and Tong's program was artistically incomplete - after the crash where she hit the wall, she was barely able to complete the program. How could that stand up to the complete program of Z&S? The scoring system isn't going to work if the judges use the TCS scores to basically put whatever skater they want in whatever placement they want.
Linny

Thanks for the welcome back Bronxgirl, Bronzeisgolden, Bleuchick, Nadine, and Mzheng. It's nice to be back, both for the groovy posters and the kewl new emoticons :party:
Rgirl :)