International (i.e. non-US) Ladies Speculation Thread | Page 4 | Golden Skate

International (i.e. non-US) Ladies Speculation Thread

shine

Record Breaker
She reminds me of a young Plushenko for some reason. Probably her music, her hand gesture and posing. And her confidence. Talented indeed.

ETA: I meant to be talking about Radionova

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
It doesn't look like a clear outside edge at all. It's a clear inside edge. More important, she does a mohawk into the jump. That's a Flip. This can't pass as a Lutz. ISU needs to get better definitions of "Flip" and "Lutz" in the rulebook because it's too much of a gray area right now. The most distinctive quality between the two jumps is not the edge, it's the way the momentum of the body is moving going into the jump.

I don't find this to be accurate. Mao Asada's 3F does not look like a setup for a lutz. She does a mohawk into the jump; there's no back glide and shift of the body in the opposing direction, which would make it a lutz. Asada may wobble a bit onto the outside edge before getting onto the inside edge, but that doesn't make the jump look like a lutz. It's just questionable technique.

To me, Mao's 3f definitely looks like a 3flutz and Anna's 3lz definitely looks like a 3lip. But I guess if setting up jumps that way prevents you from getting edge calls it works. AFAIK Anna has never been given an edge call despite her setup for her lutz looking a lot like her setup for her flip, because she switches to the outside edge right before taking off for the lutz, which she doesn't do for the flip. In some ways it seems smart because in Anna's case, her 3f is more secure than her 3lz, and Mao's 3fz used to be really secure too, so if by approaching these jumps in a way that's comfortable increases the success rate then I say go for it.

Sackie

Medalist
'3.... whither Phaneuf?
So, does Phaneuf take her strong, clean skate at worlds and run with it, or was that a one off? And more importantly, does it matter? In a well-skated worlds, I think her performance would've been enough for top ten (maintaining two spots for Canada), but this wasn't a well-skated worlds (five skaters saw at least a six-place difference between their short and long programs - Kim, Nagasu, Ando, Gedevanishivili and Suzuki). But Phaneuf has no flip, no 3-3 and an iffy lutz. Which way does she go?'

Not sure I agree with this cause even with her score from worlds 2010 she would have been top 4 in 08 and top 5 in 09. The difference for her was that she finally went clean in her free skate and therefore showed what is possible when she does go clean. I do agree that it will be interesting to see which way she goes from here.

Do you think that the new rules on under-rotation will help or hurt Mao this year?

To me, it seems like Mao's triple Axel is very consistent. The way she reaches down with her toe on the landing, all of her 3A's are under-rotated pretty close to 180 degrees. Last year it was either/or, sometimes she was downgraded, sometimes not. Under the new rules the tech panel will have the option of calling the "slight under-rotation" base mark every time.

miki88

Medalist
Do you think that the new rules on under-rotation will help or hurt Mao this year?

To me, it seems like Mao's triple Axel is very consistent. The way she reaches down with her toe on the landing, all of her 3A's are under-rotated pretty close to 180 degrees. Last year it was either/or, sometimes she was downgraded, sometimes not. Under the new rules the tech panel will have the option of calling the "slight under-rotation" base mark every time.

Since it's an option, I think it will depend on the caller as it has been before. The one thing I noticed is that her single 3A's are rarely downgraded if she lands them cleanly. Even during last year, it was the ones in the combos that she often got downgraded.

Isn't it astonishing....we're talking about a lady doing triple axels in combination. Stop and think about that for a minute.

I do hope callers will have the sense not to downgrade Mao's close calls. This kid puts a phenomenal amount of energy, determination, and work into her skating, and she deserves to have it acknowledged. (I'm not talking a jump that's 1/4 off the mark or anything. But the 175-degree jumps--what's the problem?)

^ Well, according to the new rules, a jump that is 175 degrees short should be called "under-rotated" but not "downgraded." An "under-rotated" triple Axel (between 90 and 180 degrees short) is not downgraded to a double, but still gets a base value of only 6.0 instead of 8.5 -- plus, possible negative GOE on top of that.

These are the jumps that in the past a kindly tech caller might have overlooked, but now the tech caller has a third option without having to be mean.

Hey, what happened to Miki88's post? :)

Anyway, the question is, are the tech callers really following the new rules this year like they are supposed to? It looks like they are so far. I just checked out the protocols for the men's short program at Nebelhorn.

http://eislauf-union.de/NebelhornTrophy2010.html (click on "ptotokoll")

Armin Mahbanoozadeh got a Lz< (under-rotated but not downgraded, base value reduced from 6.0 to 4.2.)

Victor Pfeifer got a Lz<< (downgrade to a double Lutz, base value 21.)

Moris Pfeifhofer got a Lz<<+2T and also a 3Lo< (credit for triple loop, base value reduced fro 5.1 to 3.6.)

Sebasta Iwasaki got a 3Lo<

And Mitchell Chapman got a 3Lz<<.

So it looks like the new rule is out in full force.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yes, she is very cute.
And did you see how the older Ladies in the clip are 5'10 - just like Plushy ;)

Yeah....I'm starting to think Plushenko and Joubert are like 5'8" barefoot. I mean, Jeremy Abbott and Tomas Verner are both legitimately like 5'10" and appear much taller than Joubert and Plushenko on the ice. If that's true though it must mean that Patrick Chan is like 5'5" and Dai and Oda like 5'3"....but you know that might be right because Mao looks at least as tall as Dai and Patrick and Yuna are very close.

miki88

Medalist
Hey, what happened to Miki88's post? :)

Miki88 decided to check for herself instead of depending on others. ;) But thank you for the details. :) I only checked the results from the juniors and didn't see that many marks but I guess they are stricter with the seniors. We'll have to see then how all of this turns out.

I can't speak exact numbers, but Oda looks as small as Scott Hamilton. Inch for inch, though, he's dynamite! As is Takahashi.

I knew I'd hear from you about that 175 degrees, Math. I blush to admit that I picked the number out of a hat. I wanted something under 180 degrees to give the idea of really close to the true point. My apologies! But you get my point. Interesting information about the calls at Nebelhorn, by the way.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I can't speak exact numbers, but Oda looks as small as Scott Hamilton. Inch for inch, though, he's dynamite! As is Takahashi.

I knew I'd hear from you about that 175 degrees, Math. I blush to admit that I picked the number out of a hat. I wanted something under 180 degrees to give the idea of really close to the true point. My apologies! But you get my point. Interesting information about the calls at Nebelhorn, by the way.

Oda weighs 120 pounds, so regardless of whether he's 5'3" or 5'5", he is definitely quite a small man. Takahashi is not much bigger, but they both skate with a lot of power anyways.

Krislite

Medalist
Miki's new LP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw_Nc8f1x8s

I will be incredibly disappointed if she keeps this jump layout all season. Huge thumbs down.

I'm sure we'll be seeing quads, triple axels and triple triples from the Japanese ladies by Worlds next year. It's gonna be in Tokyo after all, so I expect nothing less but a big showdown, especially if Yuna follows through with her plan to compete.

oleada

Record Breaker
I liked Miki''s LP - I thought it was a step forward for her in terms of musicality and attempts at interpretation. Her arms seemed much less frantic and Morozovian.

I'm sure she'll be attempting the 3Lz+3Lo later on, but it's still really early. That 2A+3T was great, though.