Interview with Mirai & Caroline | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Interview with Mirai & Caroline

I find her skating boring as well, but I know you'll disagree ;)
Yeah, I kind of skipped over that part of your post. :p
hsuhs said:
Does it really have to be your adorable little ice goddesses vs. Tonya? I'm only asking for a promotional material that doesn't make me puke.
But seriously, is it the athletes' responsibility to entertain us with zesty interviews? It's not their fault that reporters ask them stupid questions. To me, it's enough that they skate their best. There are plenty of "interesting" sportsmen around, like the guy they just threw out of the Tour de France for drugs.

Last edited:

champs

Final Flight
If Caroline and Mirai in this interview were boring, I wonder how people have found someone like, say, Daisuke the Mr. nice guy in any of his interviews.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
like the guy they just threw out of the Tour de France for drugs.
Why use extreme examples like Tonya and some drugged guy? Is there nothing in between?

champs said:
If Caroline and Mirai in this interview were boring, I wonder how people have found someone like, say, Daisuke the Mr. nice guy in any of his interviews.
I don't know about people, but to me Daisuke is a fascinating guy. The problem is, 99 % of his interviews are in Japanese. There are translations available on his fan site though.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
But seriously, is it the athletes' responsibility to entertain us with zesty interviews? It's not their fault that reporters ask them stupid questions. To me, it's enough that they skate their best.

That is very true. It's not like they sent Barbara Walters or somebody like that who's good at digging up dirt. It's almost like the reporter wanted to present the girls in a certain way. If the reporter had asked more interesting questions, we can be sure we would have heard more interesting answers.

But it seemed like somebody didn’t want us to hear interesting answers. :unsure:

Andalusia

Final Flight
Give me a freakin' break. They're 15. How do you expect them to behave? They're quite a refreshing change to the trash elsewhere in popular culture. If I had a daughter, I'd want her to behave like Mirai or Caroline rather than, say, Britney Spears' younger sister, for example.

And besides, they're Asian. They don't normally make it a habit of sassing to elders or trying to act all cool and edgy. Quite a rarity these days.

liketotally

On the Ice
Give me a freakin' break. They're 15. How do you expect them to behave? They're quite a refreshing change to the trash elsewhere in popular culture. If I had a daughter, I'd want her to behave like Mirai or Caroline rather than, say, Britney Spears' younger sister, for example.

And besides, they're Asian. They don't normally make it a habit of sassing to elders or trying to act all cool and edgy. Quite a rarity these days.

I totally agree.

KeineZeite

Rinkside
It is on Youtube now if anybody want to see.

Thanks to your advice, I could see the video on Youtube last Friday,
but today unfortunately, it seems to be deleted by UFS.

I didnot know that Caroline and Mirai have competed countless time since childhood.
As long as both girls are inspiring skaters at the competitions, they will be featured together.

Hope they can go to the 2009 LA World together, where Caroline and Mirai are from.
This kind of dual interview is cruel, but in a way, it is a happy thing, because that means two of them are popular and active in skating.
I wonder if Emily and Kimmie have gotten an interview together,
which I can NOT even imagine.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
This kind of dual interview is cruel, but in a way, it is a happy thing, because that means two of them are popular and active in skating.
I wonder if Emily and Kimmie have gotten an interview together,
which I can NOT even imagine.

I remember the famous Chicklets interview with Kimmie Meissner, Katy Taylor and Danielle Kahle done during the 2004 Junior Worlds. It has since been taken off Youtube. Now there was some hard nosed interviewing. :laugh:

I remember the famous Chicklets interview with Kimmie Meissner, Katy Taylor and Danielle Kahle done during the 2004 Junior Worlds. It has since been taken off Youtube. Now there was some hard nosed interviewing. :laugh:
:laugh:

In truth, when it comes right down to it, what do we expect from an interview with any athlete?

"What is your goal in the upcoming Olympics?" "I will try to swim real fast."

"What do you think about your competitors?" "They swim fast, too."

oleada

Record Breaker
:laugh:

In truth, when it comes right down to it, what do we expect from an interview with any athlete?

O/T, but you should watch some tennis interviews then. They are the most interesting of any sport I have watched. :lol: Some are boring ("I'm so excited to be here; I'm just focusing on one match at a time, etc, etc") but some are totally priceless. Jelena Jankovic, the Safin siblings, Martina Hingis (some of the stuff she has said is the stuff of tennis legend :eek:), Alla Kudryatseva after beating Sharapova at the most recent Wimbledon....

Of the current ones, Jankovic is the best, though. Even tennis reporters have said how entertaining she is. :laugh: (IMO, girl is craaaaaaaaaazy with a capital C). She invited all of them to her house for coffee one time. But my favorites are when she won the mixed doubles in Wimbledon: http://youtube.com/watch?v=XnSmSVo2EMM

O/T kind of over

I guess what some people are saying is that there is a lot of gray area between being a perfect princess robot and being terribly mean. "Interesting" does not equal hitting your opponent in the knee-cap with a bat a la Tonya Harding.

I think there is a reason why American sports fans feel pushed to the extremes on this question. The professional sports culture in the U.S. is dominated by athletes each trying to outdo the next in projecting a thuggy "gangsta" image. "I'm a baddah muthuh****** than y'all is."

Not a day goes by without an article in the sports section about some moron arrested for attempted murder after a shooting in a bar fight (the perp's defense, "He was lookin' at me!") Or the police called to an athlete's home when the guy beat up his girl friend, or athletes bragging about how many illegimate children they have strewn across the landscape (not that they have any intention of supporting any of them.)

The problem -- so the sociologists say -- is that these young men, because of their athletic gifts, have never had to learn accepted standards of behavior.

So when nice youngsters who are equally gifted athletes come along, no, it's not boring at all when they say, "I am grateful for the opportunity to represent my country in the Olympics. I will do my best." That's not boring. That's a welcome breath of fresh air.

Just my opinion, of course. :cool:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Mathman said:

An example how the interview could have gone with a better interviewer and two, well, "different" or "different behaving" girls.
DISCLAIMER: the following text is completely fictional, I know neither Miss Nagasu nor Miss Zhang - it is purely meant to illustrate my opinion on this.

Int.: Hey Mirai, hello Caroline - it's great you two could take some time to do this interview.
Girls: It's our pleasure. (right, I suck at speaking girl - would they say "It's our pleasure"?)

Int.: You two have known each other for a long time - how long exactly?
Girls: (well, what they said in the interview)

Int.:
So you can't see each other very often - how do you make your friendship work?
Mirai: Sometimes it's really difficult. But that's what friendships are all about - you have to keep in contact, work for the friendship. So we try to write mails and call each other.

Int.: You are also rivals, not just friends. Does that have an impact on your friendship?
Caroline: Hmm. To some extend I guess. You know, last season - between the GPF/JGPF and Nationals we met quite a few times, exchanged christmas gifts etc. - and sometimes I couldn't help but thinking: how hard is she working right now for Nationals? Has she fixed her Flutz? Has she been working on those underrotations?
Mirai: Well, I have to agree with Caroline on that one. I also think that our friendship has changed a bit since I, well you know, somehow became equal to her - skating-wise. Before Junior Nationals in 2007 - I was just really admiring her for her skills and everything - and suddenly I was, well, just as good.
Caroline: I admitted that I sometimes have those thoughts about her skating etc. - but in the end our friendship helps me to see skating as what it is - just a sport. It's of course totally important to us - but so is our friendship. So when she wins over me - I am a bit disappointed at first, but then I see how happy she is - so I am happy for her.

Int.:
So you were happy for her after she won Senior Nationals this year?
Caroline: I was, I really was. But I was also thinking - that could be you up there. If you hadn't messed up the short, if you had been a bit more confident, not so afraid to make mistakes...

Int.: You were a bit jealous?
Caroline: Yeah, I guess I was. A bit jealous about the medal and the title - but also about the fantastic experience she had, the way she got to enjoy her first Senior Nationals, the way she approached the competition.

Int.: All in all, Nationals 2008 are not filed under Caroline's best life experiences?
Caroline: No. I was stressed out, felt under pressure, felt intimidated - I know that I could have enjoyed it more, seeing all the girls I haven't seen for such a long time. I started to enjoy the whole experience a bit more after the Ladies' long, but I was also disappointed - so it's not one of my all time best weeks.

Int.: How do you like your stay here?
Mirai: It's great, fun, relaxing - and scary and intimidating at the same time.

Int.:
How so?
Mirai: Well, it's great being with all these athletes, it's an honour for us. But there are times where I am just thinking: What are you doing here girl? These people have been to the Olympics, got World medals, are sometimes twice as old as you - or twice as tall in Lysacek's case - and they see you as their Senior Ladies Champ and expect you to take your rightful place among them. I am not really comfortable with that role yet - sometimes I would prefer being little Mirai again - who didn't make it out of Regionals in 2005. But then I think about all these things I would have missed, all the traveling I wouldn't have done, all the people I wouldn't have met.
Caroline: I guess success is never just totally amazing, it also results in pressure, in media attention etc. Perhaps that's what we really have to learn - how to deal with that and how to stay true to ourselves. It's not easy.

Int.: Caroline, what's your impression about Champ's camp?
Caroline: I am also honoured to be here. (chuckles) Everybody is saying that! (chuckles again) So I'll say a bit more - of course I am honoured to be here, but I also think that I earned the right to be here. I don't want to come over as conceited or anything, but being here also shows me that all my hard work is paying off. We are working really hard, missing out on a lot of stuff - for example, I don't go to a real school - and being here, among the "elite" just proves to me that despite the sacrifices it's worth it.

Int.: Tell me a bit about what you do when you don't skate or study.
Mirai: I only do the three s: skating, studying, sleeping. Just kidding here. Well, I enjoy watching TV, I am interested in fashion, in hairstyling - stuff like that.
Int.: What kind of TV shows?
Caroline: Don't ask! It's mostly reality stuff: Project Runway, Dancing with the stars etc. She can talk about it for hours and hours. And she got me totally hooked. I never watch that stuff at home - and I still think it's fairly stupid. But I am still watching. I am watching it, thinking that it's stupid and enjoying it at the same time. I am not as much into styling and fashion as Mirai anyway - I enjoy to look good, but once I found a good look I stick with it and don't muse about other possible looks.

Int.: What kind of TV shows do you watch?
Caroline: I actually like watching the news, I think it's important to know what's going on in the world - even if it's devastating. I also enjoy crime shows, you know CSI. I can't watch them very often - but I got the DVDs so if I have time I try to catch up with the storylines on DVD.

Int.:
Caroline, what else do you do in your freetime?
Caroline: I really love to read.

Int.: What are you reading right now?
Caroline: I started reading the Jane Austen books a year ago - and have just finished Emma. I am also big on newspapers, crime novels. One of my cousins has this philosophical phase right now and asked me to read, what was the guy's name, Sartre? Well, I stopped after three pages. But perhaps I will try again in a few years.

Int.: What do you love about reading so much?
Caroline: Hmm. You know, despite traveling around the world and stuff - I don't really see that much of the world. But reading, it kind of gives me the possibility experience new stuff, to learn about different lives, different cultures. It's also my way to forget about competition pressure, training and school for a while.

Int.: What are you doing during the summer?
Caroline: Well, skating obviously. There will be a few shows, training the new programs etc. I also want to catch up with some reading, there is still one Jane Austen novel left. I am also looking forward to spend time with my family, for example my sister go this microscope - and told me that she already found lots of stuff to examine, so we are going to do that together. My Mom also tries to convince me to go on a small hiking tour with her, for a weekend or so.
Mirai: Skating and shows, of course. Studying. My Dad also bought this old car - and he thinks that I will have more time during the summer - so I can help him fixing it.

Int.: Your Dad thinks you can help him fixing a car?
Caroline: She is really good with that kind of stuff! There was something wrong with our TV at first. Then Mirai, I don't know exactly what she did, but she was working on the wires. I was like "Oh no, you going to be electrocuted". But she fixed it and it's been working fine ever since.
Mirai: I don't know how I do it, but I always enjoyed technical stuff etc., fixing things... So I am probably going to do that with my Dad. I will also try to catch up with some friends, one of them is planning a pool party in two weeks, I am really looking forward to that. Yep, those are my plans for the summer.

Int.: Well girls, thanks for that amazing interview and I am looking forward to seeing you next season!
Girls: Thanks to you too, it was real fun!

I don't want athletes to make drug references, or some weird jokes nobody gets. They don't have to be rebellious etc. I don't want them to break the law or offend people big time. I am a rather conservative German here, I am all against swear words (in fact, I very rarely use them), keeping certain topics out of a public interview, some details of your life to yourself.

My point is that if I was somewhere between the age of 10 and 15, perhaps mildly interested in figure skating - that interview would have scared me away. It was all about smiles, looks, girlish stuff - I got the impression that there were two dolls with no personality. 14-year-olds are real people, they tend to have real interests, they have lots of personality, their own opinions - why not show that? And the worst thing is that I got the feeling during the interview that at least Zhang is much more interesting than portrayed in the interview.

If a 14-year-old tells me that she enjoys reading - I ask what kind of books she enjoys to read. Or she just could have told the interviewer herself. I also had the feeling that she found Nagasu's TV-shows more amusing than interesting - why not say so? The interview made both girls look completely one-dimensional - and most 14-year-old kids I know are very much three-dimensional and intelligent enough to look behind such a PR-interview.

Of course they are skaters and it should be mostly about skating - but to attract younger people to the sport, younger audiences - you need real people. The real people are the difference between a real figure skating competition and some stupid computer game (I am sure there are computer games that allow you to create your own perfect little skater).

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I totally applaud the effort that went into that post. :clap: I have to assume there was a time constraint on the interview. Also, some parts may have been cut out.

By the way, both girls are now 15 years old.

oleada

Record Breaker
Excellent post, Medusa! That's exactly what I mean, but you say it so much better. :)

Terrific interview. :bow::bow: OK, I get it. I'll climb down from my soapbox now. Mirai and Caroline should hire you (Medusa) as their public relations coach. :yes:

Maybe one tiny suggestion for "girl talk."
Medusa said:
Int.: Hey Mirai, hello Caroline - it's great you two could take some time to do this interview.

Girls: It's our pleasure. (right, I suck at speaking girl - would they say "It's our pleasure"?)
Were it I, I would say, "It is equally our honour and our delight." :biggrin:

Last edited:

lmarie086

Medalist
Great post Medusa. They should hire you lol. I kinda got the same feeling; throughout that interview Caroline seemed like she was ready to burst out with all kinds of information, if only she'd been asked. I didn't get the feeling that the interviewer knew much about them (or was all that good; Caroline and Mirai gave plenty of opportunities for other questions, like with the books as you said).

Andalusia

Final Flight
Well, forgive them if they aren't as well-spoken and rehearsed as you would have them be, Medusa. Your answers make them sound as if they're seasoned pros at interviews, which they are not. What's funny is that your responses make them sound even more robotic than they're accused of being in the original interview. :rofl: I don't think they're "acting" as "adorable little ice goddesses", I think that's just how they are. And that's not at all surprising - I've met teenagers who speak and act the way Mirai and Caroline do.

Also, I hate to overgeneralize, but I think a large part of why they come across as they do is due to the cultural differences in the way which they were brought up vs. your expectations (and others). I don't think Asian-Americans, or even Asians for that matter, would find their demeanour as being so terribly put on.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I don't think they're "acting" as "adorable little ice goddesses", I think that's just how they are. And that's not at all surprising - I've met teenagers who speak and act the way Mirai and Caroline do.

I think you may be right. As much as I liked Medusa's interview, it might be a little beyond these girls. Remember that little non-verbal argument the girls had? That was 100% real.

And if that interview was an act, both these girls have quite a career ahead of them after skating. :bow:

Sllippery

Rinkside
I don't think Caroline's actually much taller than Mirai. From the Champs Camp photos, they look about the same, maybe Caroline is a hair taller.

Oh, I see.
I guess Bebe, Rachael, Caroline and Mirai are almost at the same height, say, 4ft 11in???
They are very tiny at their ages, but very energetic and promising girls.
Phew, I hope all of them can go to the Vancouver Olympic 2 yeas ahead.:clap: