Is Mirai the One? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Is Mirai the One?

cornell08

Final Flight
Just watched 2/3 of her run through of her Carmen (missed the first 1/3) practice. She's really improved the selling of it! Alot of visible improvements to the choreography-- some new moves with more character, more flair and sauciness to the program overall. This is starting to really look like her own and much beloved Carmen. She fell once, on a flip or lutz couldn't really tell...did anyone watch her practice in its entirety? Aside from the fall, it was a good run through (complete run through including all the jumps and all out choreo...Frank for ya haha). The audience loved it but she was shaking her head at the end...this girl is so charming but damn she's hard on herself.

I have to say though. Please Mirai, get a different person to do your makeup for the long. Please.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Just watched 2/3 of her run through of her Carmen (missed the first 1/3) practice. She's really improved the selling of it! Alot of visible changes to the choreography, and more flair and sauciness to the program overall. She's kept the old choreo for the most part and has embelished it as needed (and much was needed). She fell once, on a flip or lutz couldn't really tell...did anyone watch her practice in its entirety? Aside from the fall, it was a good run through (complete run through including all the jumps...Frank for ya haha). The audience loved it but she was shaking her head at the end...this girl is so charming but damn she's hard on herself.

Thanks for the update. I can't wait to see her tomorrow. I think she is going to nail it. She seems immune to nerves this year.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Thanks for the update. I can't wait to see her tomorrow. I think she is going to nail it. She seems immune to nerves this year.

I can't wait for tomorrow either. I agree with Hersh :eek: and thought Mirai skated circles around Rachael and most of the others last night.

Maturity, controlling emotions, competing well - these are all things Mirai showed us last night. If she brings it tomorrow to her LP I think she will win her 2nd US championship.

It is exciting to see this from Mirai and what a pleasure to see her talent, charm and athletic abilty on display last night.

IMO her lead should be much bigger based on how she performed - but that is skating and we all see it differently.

Go Mirai :rock:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Maturity, controlling emotions, competing well - these are all things Mirai showed us last night. If she brings it tomorrow to her LP I think she will win her 2nd US championship.

I think so too.

She's in an interesting position though, skating last. But then again, she was last in 2008 as well and overcame an initial fall on her 2A to finish strong. Nagasu's LP problem isn't giving into nerves so much as it is rotating those jumps. The callers seem lenient here so they may give her the benefit of the doubt, which could make her dangerous. But it all depends on how she handles it mentally. If Flatt knocks it out of the park, it could be a tough act to follow.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I fully expect Mirai Nagasu to win Nationals tomorrow night; willing to bet on it.:cool:

And then get dinged at Olympics for UR & finish far below Rachael Flatt (btw willing to bet Rach makes the team as well). :)

Mirai was fantastic in her GP event at Cup of China this past year, and then she dropped from 1st place in the SP to 6th place overall, so I see the same scenario happening at the Olympics.

She's not soup yet, she doesn't have the clout, nor the international reputation/resume. Also, most importantly, she needs to clean up the UR on her jumps.

That said, I fully expect her to be the #1 US Lady from here on out.:rock:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I fully expect Mirai Nagasu to win Nationals tomorrow night; willing to bet on it.:cool:

And then get dinged at Olympics for UR & finish far below Rachael Flatt (btw willing to bet Rach makes the team as well). :)

Mirai was fantastic in her GP event at Cup of China this past year, and then she dropped from 1st place in the SP to 6th place overall, so I see the same scenario happening at the Olympics.

She's not soup yet, she doesn't have the clout, nor the international reputation/resume. Also, most importantly, she needs to clean up the UR on her jumps.

That said, I fully expect her to be the #1 US Lady from here on out.:rock:

She was 5th overall at CoC, not 6th. And her jumps last night looked fully rotated! Also at SC she landed 5 clean triples in her FS, she had two URs but they were on doubles in combos so it's not as worrisome and probably easier to fix. Hope she nails it tomorrow like we all know she can! :yes:

Also excited for Christina (and everyone else), she can rake in the cash with that FS. Her 3lz-2t-2lo is one of the best out there right now :agree:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think so too.

She's in an interesting position though, skating last. But then again, she was last in 2008 as well and overcame an initial fall on her 2A to finish strong. Nagasu's LP problem isn't giving into nerves so much as it is rotating those jumps. The callers seem lenient here so they may give her the benefit of the doubt, which could make her dangerous. But it all depends on how she handles it mentally. If Flatt knocks it out of the park, it could be a tough act to follow.

I am not counting Rachael out but think if they both skate their best then Mirai wins.

I am not counting Ashley out either - if she skates her best she can finish 2 or even 1 if Rachael and Mirai mess up.

It's funny because Sasha still feels like the wildcard and still makes this Natls more exciting and more fun.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I am not counting Rachael out but think if they both skate their best then Mirai wins.

I am not counting Ashley out either - if she skates her best she can finish 2 or even 1 if Rachael and Mirai mess up.

It's funny because Sasha still feels like the wildcard and still makes this Natls more exciting and more fun.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
P
A
C
E
;)

I actually agree! :eek:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
P
A
C
E
;)

I actually agree! :eek:

Hah, spoilers. Christina Gao 2nd place! Olympic birth! Top 10 finish there! Wooo hooray for Mini-Yuna :laugh:

You have no idea how incredibly happy I'd be if the Olympic team ended up being Nagasu and Gao:love:

Nadine

Record Breaker
My statements still stand. I have no problem with Nagasu, which can be verified by my excited comments about her over on the Cup of China Forum several months ago. In fact I was outraged that she didn't win, lol.:biggrin:

And even then I said both she & Zhang would be the USA's top dogs, but first a.) Nagasu needs to clean up her UR jumps on the international level & build a resume, and b.) Zhang needs a whole overhaul of her speed & technique, because she has everything else. But Nagasu's problems are easier to correct. Just hoping Zhang doesn't totally drop out of figure skating (though I wouldn't be surprised).

And of course the USFSA has a ton of little sprites yet to appear on the big screen ala all skating pretty & landing the jumps (aka Asada, Kim, etc. etc. etc. etc.). Unfortunately for me they ALL look alike.

There is no Katarina Witt on the horizon, nor anybody else that truly excites me, I hope this will change. The USA needs a S T A R, actually the whole figure skating world needs one.

Anyhow, Congratulations to Mirai & Rachael.:thumbsup:

R.D.

Record Breaker
You have no idea how incredibly happy I'd be if the Olympic team ended up being Nagasu and Gao:love:

I don't see Gao going to the Vancouver Olympics, even under the best of circumstances. She lacks the top-level experience, and I can totally see a situation where she might be bumped if she was 2nd, Flatt or Nagasu wins, and Cohen is 3rd.

But the Sochi Olympics? It's on! ;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
There is no Katarina Witt on the horizon, nor anybody else that truly excites me, I hope this will change. The USA needs a S T A R, actually the whole figure skating world needs one.

Definitely agree about the USA, but Yuna Kim is arguably one for the skating world right now. Especially if she wins the OGM.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I don't see Gao going to the Vancouver Olympics, even under the best of circumstances. She lacks the top-level experience, and I can totally see a situation where she might be bumped if she was 2nd, Flatt or Nagasu wins, and Cohen is 3rd.

But the Sochi Olympics? It's on! ;)

I know I was kidding because the poster in front of me said spoilers haha. I know it is very unlikely to happen I just think she's a cutie and a great skater

Nadine

Record Breaker
Definitely agree about the USA, but Yuna Kim is arguably one for the skating world right now. Especially if she wins the OGM.

Yuna Kim is a star for Korea, she is not an international star in the likes of Katarina Witt, never has been. And, yes, I totally agree she will win the Olympic Gold Medal, which I stated as soon as I saw her SP at TEB.:cool:

And she's a good moneymaker for the IFSU, as well as the Japanese skaters, which is why all the tours & shows & even competitions, etc. are being held over there in Asia. Totally understandable, that's where all the $$$$ is.

But none of these skaters has transcended the sport of figure skating in the way that Anna Kornakova has for tennis, nor Katarina Witt or Sonja Henie for f.s. None. That's what I meant.

R.D.

Record Breaker
But none of these skaters has transcended the sport of figure skating in the way that Anna Kornakova has for tennis, nor Katarina Witt or Sonja Henie for f.s. None. That's what I meant.

Ok, I see.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Here is Mirai quoted from the NY Times:

“I just wanted to show myself and everyone that I’m the future of the U.S.A.,” she said. “I’m not in my personal bubble all the time, and I do have access to the Internet. I can read what people write."

Is this the same girl who seemed so full of self-doubt a few months ago?

Does Mirai read GS?

R.D.

Record Breaker
She obviously feels as if she has something to prove.

And why not? I've said all along that if she can pull herself together, she can easily be on her way to Vancouver when everyone's basically telling her to wait for Sochi.