Is Mirai the One? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Is Mirai the One?

miki88

Medalist
Yuna Kim is a star for Korea, she is not an international star in the likes of Katarina Witt, never has been. And, yes, I totally agree she will win the Olympic Gold Medal, which I stated as soon as I saw her SP at TEB.:cool:

And she's a good moneymaker for the IFSU, as well as the Japanese skaters, which is why all the tours & shows & even competitions, etc. are being held over there in Asia. Totally understandable, that's where all the $$$$ is.

But none of these skaters has transcended the sport of figure skating in the way that Anna Kornakova has for tennis, nor Katarina Witt or Sonja Henie for f.s. None. That's what I meant.

Sonja Henie was a pioneer. Both she and Katarina won mutiple gold medals, which no women in recent figure skating history has accomplished. So we have to wait and see. Also, Katarina has sex appeal and appeared in playboy so I guess that increased her fame :biggrin:. Yuna Kim is not only a star in korea though, she and Mao Asada are huge stars in Asia. But I guess it doesn't translate to international fame. This happens for a lot of asian stars sigh.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Sonja Henie was a pioneer. Both she and Katarina won mutiple gold medals, which no women in recent figure skating history has accomplished. So we have to wait and see. Also, Katarina has sex appeal and appeared in playboy so I guess that increased her fame :biggrin:. Yuna Kim is not only a star in korea though, she and Mao Asada are huge stars in Asia. But I guess it doesn't translate to international fame. This happens for a lot of asian stars sigh.

Katarina oozes sex appeal like a tigress in heat.
The Asian gals, save Miki, ooze Hello Kitty.

Figure88

On the Ice
Yuna Kim is a star for Korea, she is not an international star in the likes of Katarina Witt, never has been.

We'll see. I think it should be noted it is your opinion. But I haven't seen that many people who would agree with that, especially international newspapers (US, Canadian etc) nor skating commentators.

More on topic. I thought Mirai was the best skater of the night. Her jumps, spins, spirals were all amazing. She has excellent technique. She is probably the skater with the most potential to bring US lady's figure skating out of the rut it's in now.

Last edited:

Figure88

On the Ice
Yuna is a wonderful skater but she is unknown to the general public in the USA.

Brian Orser recently said he is more recognized in Korea now than he is in Canada.
That is fine and it is wonderful that Koreans have such a great champion, star and role model in Yuna.

She is not our star but skating fans appreciate and respect Yuna in the USA. The general public here does not care that much about skating and Yuna will never be that popular in the USA unless she has a very long career and spends time here skating in shows and appearing in TV specials.

I don't think that will happen and suspect Yuna will retire after Worlds this season - partially due to the unbearable pressure and cloistered lifestyle her fame and fans have forced on her.

I don't think any of the skaters like Witt was ever that well-known until they gained international exposure after medalling at the Olympics. As for retiring, nothing has been mentioned at this point and I kind of doubtful she will retire from competing at the peak of her career. We'll see.

It might your individual opinion that she's not well known, but she's already touted by international newspapers/ sports commentators as a skating star and she hasn't even medaled at the Olympics. I would expect her fame will grow exponentially if she actually does medal. Like I said, we'll see.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Geeze, of course it's *my opinion*, that's a given, Figure88.

Don't expect me to include IMHO (aka in my humble opinion) every time I post, because I won't. This is a discussion board where everybody has an opinion.

Lol, and you know what they say about opinions, right?:biggrin: Everybody has one, just like (insert xrated material here, rotflmao)!:rofl:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Part of becoming an international skating legend like a Katerina Witt, is sticking around in the sport for awhile AFTER you win the big Olympic prize, or World Championships or whatever. And then being consistently able to win or place high at subsequent competitions, or become a highlight on the pro circuit (harder to do now than in the 1990's due to diminishing good pro opportunities). For me, most of Katerina's programs that I remember are the ones she did after her competitive career was over, even though they might not have technically been her most difficult. And let's not forget the power of a good agent--very important to get that media buzz going and keep it up there, the skater's ability to deliver notwithstanding. For quite a while now, you need a PR machine behind you. Katerina also had the sort of personality that really projected both on-ice and off-ice, and ended up transcending national and cultural boundaries. Not every technically talented and competition-winning skater has that sort of charisma--in fact, I'd say it's more the exception than the rule.

The thing most skating legends (like a Witt or a Kwan) have in common--besides good agents--seem to be incredibly memorable programs either competitive or exhibition, the kind you think back on years later, remember clearly, and are still touched by. I don't think any of today's competitive skaters have done this yet. Most are just too new or too young.

Last edited:

bluelutz

On the Ice
No Asian skater or Skater who is racially Asian can be a big star like Witt,
simply because they are Asian.
When Kristi won the gold, it was nothing like Dorothy won the gold
even though Kristi was the first American lady to win that in 16 years.
And Kristi even won Dancing with Stars,
and still the general public cannot tell between her and Kween.
Sad but that is the reality.

How many Asian international stars can you name?
Maybe you say Jackie Chen who became a star
because he is NOT Attractive Asian guy who does Asian's most stereotype thing.
American media prefer to use not attractive Asians
because they think Asians are supposed to be not attractive
and not attractive Asians are less threatening for White people
just like Hollywood used to use only fat & ugly stereo type Blacks.

Even Mirai wins the gold, she cannot be an American sweet heart
because she does not look American for White.
I am talking about the general public not appreciative skating fans

Layfan

Record Breaker

Were you living under a rock during the Michelle Kwan era?

Layfan

Record Breaker
I don't think any of the skaters like Witt was ever that well-known until they gained international exposure after medalling at the Olympics. As for retiring, nothing has been mentioned at this point and I kind of doubtful she will retire from competing at the peak of her career. We'll see.

It might your individual opinion that she's not well known, but she's already touted by international newspapers/ sports commentators as a skating star and she hasn't even medaled at the Olympics. I would expect her fame will grow exponentially if she actually does medal. Like I said, we'll see.

That's true, actually. Kim Yuna is so dominant that you sometimes forget this is actually her first Olympics. After the Olympics more people will know her name. But Janetfan is right to say she is not well known. Believe me, most of the people I know only tune into figure skating during the Olympic year and they don't have a clue who Kim Yuna is.
The one exception to all of this might be Michelle and Tara. Most Americans probably knew who they were before their first Olympics in 1998. But that was in the years after the Tonya-Nancy saga when interest in the sport was at its peak. And of course, having two young Americans be the headliners at the Olympics will obviously always be more interesting to Americans than a South Korean being the runwaway favorite. How well known Kim Yuna is in the rest of the world outside Asia, I haven't a clue.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

if it makes you feel any better the Hughes girls seem to be interchangable in NBC's eyes...

that being said I think most DO know the difference between Kristi Yamaguchi and Michelle Kwan and Kristi was THE star back in teh day.... she was (and still is) EVERYWHERE.

Layfan

Record Breaker

Honestly, you just named two Asian-American stars in your post. Kristi and Michelle. Michelle Kwan is the definition of an American sweetheart. After the Olympics, I feel she ended up getting more love than Tara, even though Tara beat her. And Michelle to this day is still the biggest star in figure skating - not Sarah Hughes or even Sasha Cohen.

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
Well, the most famous skater in recent history is Michelle Kwan, who is of Asian descent. But I don't think ethnicity really matters here; it is more the nationality of the skater. Figure skating has a niche audience; not as widespread as those for basketball or soccer, so popular athletes like Yuna and Mao may not be known to the general public. Also skaters usually don't have long careers. Kwan and Witt both had long careers, so they are more well-known. I think Yuna and Mao already have so many fans in their respective countries and other parts of Asia, they're probably not too concerned about their fame abroad :). And I do think Mirai can become America's sweetheart;)

bluelutz

On the Ice
Were you living under a rock during the Michelle Kwan era?

I knew someone would say things like that.
I am talking about the general public who can make someone a true big star.
Even during the Kween era, if you showed pics of Kween and Kristi
and asked if they can tell which is which
to people who were not considered themselve a big fan of skating ,
but watched them once in a while, many of them could not tell.

Of course, both of them were super stars in skating and it's fans' community,
but I am talking about the general puiblic.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker

Well I happen to think Asian movie stars Jet Li and Russell Wong are handsome as the dickens!

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I find it deeply disturbing that a moderator hasn't yet intervened in this racism-fest.

This thread was OK until post #150. Hopefully, if a moderator feels the need to intervene, that the problem will be specifically addressed, without closing the whole thread.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kwan and Yamaguchi are media darlings, just as much so as their predecesors.

and I'm nto sure what general public you hang with, but Yama (not a slight on her name, this is Kristi's nickname in teh skating community) and Kwan are identified much easier than most of the other ice princesses... by the general public (amazingly enough I do spend time away from Golden Skate, as I'm sure others do).

Racism comes in all forms, black, white, polka dots. Not sure why teh sudden fixation.