Is the throwing of things on the ice finally over? | Golden Skate

Is the throwing of things on the ice finally over?

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Is it? I have alrrady often before corona time thought does it disturb the next skaters when there is lot of stuff and flower girls on the ice during they warm up just before their skate.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I wonder what skaters themselves think of gifts on ice. Myself, I enjoy occasionally throwing a wrapped flower, or a tightly bound bag if I'm very close to the ice and the bag has no glittery adornments that could litter the ice.

I don't think the throwing is gone. Weren't they advising the audience just a week ago at JWC that gifts must be well wrapped before one throws them? I could misremember, but I think that was the case.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I don’t like excessive throwing but the flower girls and stuffy boys are darling.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
At Skate America 2014 Jason Brown announced he would donate all plushies to the kids at the Ronald MacDonald House and this was the result😅

After this it was specified the toys thrown should be brand new..😬He continued to donate them from every competition worldwide up until the pandemic.. lots of heartwarming photos of him with the kids over the years..

Amei

Record Breaker
I wonder what skaters themselves think of gifts on ice. Myself, I enjoy occasionally throwing a wrapped flower, or a tightly bound bag if I'm very close to the ice and the bag has no glittery adornments that could litter the ice.

I don't think the throwing is gone. Weren't they advising the audience just a week ago at JWC that gifts must be well wrapped before one throws them? I could misremember, but I think that was the case.

I've often thought this - yes some of these athletes are on the younger side of life but when I see these teenagers/young adults getting copious amounts of stuffed animals I often wonder if they wish they could get something else like some cold hard cash that they can buy something useful with or help cover the cost of training, etc.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, it is not over. I think MOST of the skaters love it. I see them grinning in the K&C with their "prizes." It is something unique to skating and I hope it will never stop. As for cash - I mean I'm not going to throw cash. It's light, would be hard to throw. If I want to give them cash I go to their funding link.

mrrice

Record Breaker
No, it is not over. I think MOST of the skaters love it. I see them grinning in the K&C with their "prizes." It is something unique to skating and I hope it will never stop. As for cash - I mean I'm not going to throw cash. It's light, would be hard to throw. If I want to give them cash I go to their funding link.
I agree. I think the skaters recognize that this is a way for fans to show their love. I haven't gone to an event without flowers since 1999. For fans like myself, it meant the world to me when Maria Butryskaya accepted my flowers and it made me a lifetime fan of hers. Maybe things got a little tense with Covid but, I think tossing gifts will be here as long as it's OK with the ISU.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Agree. I went with my daughter to the GPF in Vancouver and she was surprised and dismayed that some of the Junior skaters didn't get anything at all.

We prepared for Skate Canada by buying a bunch of small stuffed animals that were compact and easy to throw (the least Xmassy looking ones from the WalMart Xmas decor selection). I also got us seats near the Kiss and Cry to facilitate throwing. The seats were not ideal, but we did manage to get two items picked up. The first one was thrown from ice level and picked up by Sara Hurtado; her eyes lit up when she saw the movement from the corner of her eye, and she changed paths, Kirill in tow, to pick it up. She then waved it in the air and waved at my daughter who was running back up the stairs to get back to her seat. The other one was lobbed in over the heads of the camera crew and picked up by Roman Sadovsky; his next comp was NHK, and I take full credit for his great performance there.

I talked to one of the volunteers while I was scouting out throwing locations, and she said the skaters do enjoy getting gifts. I think that even if they don't take anything home with them, it's nice for them to have something to look at (or clutch) in the kiss and cry.

I think it can get out of hand like the Pooh-valance; we reserve our gifts for the less popular skaters.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is it? I have alrrady often before corona time thought does it disturb the next skaters when there is lot of stuff and flower girls on the ice during they warm up just before their skate.

I worry about this, and also about skaters feeling left out. I do enjoy it when skaters seem really tickled and charmed by something, but it's all so ... uneven, I guess. I prefer the classic shows of appreciation: applause, standing ovations, whoops and hollers, smiles. Encouragement.

The pooh-valanches have about ruined it for me. They're so ridiculous, so unnecessary and excessive (after the SP and FS???), and I can't forget a time when Nathan Chen had his warm-up extended way beyond what was reasonable or fair. Fortunately, Nathan wasn't affected by it.

Waving the skater's country's flag shows personal appreciation, and then many people, I've noticed, spread the joy to the less-well-known skaters from that country, too.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I worry about this, and also about skaters feeling left out. I do enjoy it when skaters seem really tickled and charmed by something, but it's all so ... uneven, I guess. I prefer the classic shows of appreciation: applause, standing ovations, whoops and hollers, smiles. Encouragement.

The pooh-valanches have about ruined it for me. They're so ridiculous, so unnecessary and excessive (after the SP and FS???), and I can't forget a time when Nathan Chen had his warm-up extended way beyond what was reasonable or fair. Fortunately, Nathan wasn't affected by it.

Waving the skater's country's flag shows personal appreciation, and then many people, I've noticed, spread the joy to the less-well-known skaters from that country, too.
The Poohs are out of control. But I don't throw to people I know will get tons. I would not throw to Hanyu, I don't throw to Nathan (doesn't mean I don't love him, but so many people throw, they even will throw from the top rows and the stuff lands on people sitting nearer the ice). Nothing bothers Nathan. I swear he has ice water in his veins.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Agree. I went with my daughter to the GPF in Vancouver and she was surprised and dismayed that some of the Junior skaters didn't get anything at all.

We prepared for Skate Canada by buying a bunch of small stuffed animals that were compact and easy to throw (the least Xmassy looking ones from the WalMart Xmas decor selection). I also got us seats near the Kiss and Cry to facilitate throwing. The seats were not ideal, but we did manage to get two items picked up. The first one was thrown from ice level and picked up by Sara Hurtado; her eyes lit up when she saw the movement from the corner of her eye, and she changed paths, Kirill in tow, to pick it up. She then waved it in the air and waved at my daughter who was running back up the stairs to get back to her seat. The other one was lobbed in over the heads of the camera crew and picked up by Roman Sadovsky; his next comp was NHK, and I take full credit for his great performance there.

I talked to one of the volunteers while I was scouting out throwing locations, and she said the skaters do enjoy getting gifts. I think that even if they don't take anything home with them, it's nice for them to have something to look at (or clutch) in the kiss and cry.

I think it can get out of hand like the Pooh-valance; we reserve our gifts for the less popular skaters.
Yay for you and your daughter! There was one precious junior at this year's Nationals who was naming hers in the K&C. She named one "Petunia." ❤️

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
So much landfill! I cringe when I see it! Anything that reduces landfill has my support! Ban it forever!
Think of the smiling faces in Hospital Wards when these donated stuffies show up with a special note from a skater. That's where I think most of toys and gifts end up. I imagine that the flowers are given to coaches, friends, and the people who assist the skaters at their events.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Somewhere I read the suggestion that it would be better to give the skaters Starbucks (or other?) $10 gift cards a!ong with a card or note. The only drawback I saw was that when I checked, cards purchased in the U.S. have to be used in the U.S. Rather than a stuffed animal they'll give away, they can buy a beverage or snack.

I like the idea of boxes in the lobby for gifts for skaters. No risk of anything dangerous getting on the ice.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I like this idea. Maybe even a booth for each of the skaters in the event. That way, the fans will be assured that their favorite will receive the intended gift. This will also eliminate the delay of the event caused by stuffies which have to be cleared before the event can continue.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like this idea. Maybe even a booth for each of the skaters in the event. That way, the fans will be assured that their favorite will receive the intended gift. This will also eliminate the delay of the event caused by stuffiest which have to be cleared before the event can continue.
There really is no delay, save skaters like Hanyu or Nathan Chen. The skaters have to get off the ice into the K&C and then they have to wait for their scores. The sweepers take their jobs very seriously and pick up the things very quickly. They actually train for it. I hope it will stay the way it is. Boxes in the lobby would have to be guarded.

If they want to work on time delays (in the US) they can get rid of random delays for TV. Now THOSE are super annoying.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
There really is no delay, save skaters like Hanyu or Nathan Chen. The skaters have to get off the ice into the K&C and then they have to wait for their scores. The sweepers take their jobs very seriously and pick up the things very quickly. They actually train for it. I hope it will stay the way it is.
So do I. It's a thrill to run down to the boards and throw a gift to your favorite skater. I could see it in their faces, the skaters truly appreciate the love behind these gifts.

Last edited: