Is the throwing of things on the ice finally over? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Is the throwing of things on the ice finally over?

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They'd def have to require that cards be put into a black (or other dark color) envelope or something.
My card was in a bright blue envelope with a large red bow on it. The other one I threw was one of those huge, oversize cards and had a big bow on it. The oversize card had the names and countries of a large group of fans who follow this particular skater. I can't imagine anyone throwing a white envelope.

The Japanese gift-giving culture is way more into expensive gifts than we are here in the U.S. I think I remember reading that Nathan got a Fit Bit and a few other really amazing gifts! :jaw:

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The charitable implications of the stuffed animals are noteworthy. Who could disagree with a stuffed animal for a child?

When I'm running the ISU, and I'm expecting their call shortly, I'm going to do things differently.

I'm going to do a test run at a major competition, asking fans NOT to throw flowers or stuffed animals, but instead to purchase some sort of cash card (available in the lobby in various amounts, complete with space for a personal message to the skater!) to toss to skaters to show appreciation.

The proceeds will go to a local children's hospital to purchase medical equipment.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^Like your idea Tonto!...I wonder if during Covid times hospitals and other entities have accepted stuffed animals. Seems like it would be a little risky.

I'm hoping to attend Skate America and just emailed Brent Diedrich asking him if boxes can be set up in the lobby for gifts. We'll see if he responds.

Last edited:

auser

Record Breaker
Oh, I quite agree with you on this. :) I usually only give gifts to my less famous favorites, and have only given one plushie so far.
OTOH, in some cases, even plushies make sense. I really like the ones that Japanese fans make, and which are wearing hand-made costumes from the skater's programs. I think that's sweet ☺️ And IIRC, Satoko would post pictures on social media with her plush pineapple collection, so there are exceptions.
I love seeing the plushies with the skater's costume and also @NoNameFace's beautiful flower crowns she creates for skaters.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^Like your idea Tonto!...I wonder if during Covid times hospitals and other entities have accepted stuffed animals. Seems like it would be a little risky.

I'm hoping to attend Skate America and just emailed Brent Diedrich asking him if boxes can be set up in the lobby for gifts. We'll see if he responds.
As long as we can still throw stuffies. And I'm sure he will respond.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The charitable implications of the stuffed animals are noteworthy. Who could disagree with a stuffed animal for a child?

When I'm running the ISU, and I'm expecting their call shortly, I'm going to do things differently.

I'm going to do a test run at a major competition, asking fans NOT to throw flowers or stuffed animals, but instead to purchase some sort of cash card (available in the lobby in various amounts, complete with space for a personal message to the skater!) to toss to skaters to show appreciation.

The proceeds will go to a local children's hospital to purchase medical equipment.
If I want to give money to a children's hospital I will do so independently.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Throwing things to skaters has been a tradition of the sport for quite some time, though flowers when unwrapped were the scariest (from a skaters perspective).

I just wonder where everyone thinks their stuffies are going?? Most get donated to children's hospitals or charities, etc. And if you hand your favorite skater a ton of flowers, those may make it back to their hotel room but that is where they stay until they're removed by housekeeping. The skater doesn't pack them and take them home with them.

Feel free to throw things, but know 98% of the time that those things (dependent of what they are) aren't going home with the skaters. So what is the difference if you throw a stuffy/hand them a dozen roses or just give to a children's charity or something in their name?

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Look, I did not mean to be derogative or anyhow diminish anyone or their effort, and I am truly sorry if I came across that way. I was just answering to a remark why Yuzu needs so many Poohs and what difference their number makes to him ... Just pointing out to a greater good he invited his fans to contribute to together with him and both sides seem to take real satisfaction in bringing toys to underprivileged kids. He's not filling his private rooms with thousands of plushies, that's what I basically meant. So that was a bit the other way round to start with and I came in full circle by now, and I hope we can part here on good terms :)

Sure, no problem, sorry if my post came across as defensive. In the end, all gifts have their value, for one person or another, and that's all I wanted to point out. :)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My card was in a bright blue envelope with a large red bow on it. The other one I threw was one of those huge, oversize cards and had a big bow on it. The oversize card had the names and countries of a large group of fans who follow this particular skater. I can't imagine anyone throwing a white envelope.

The Japanese gift-giving culture is way more into expensive gifts than we are here in the U.S. I think I remember reading that Nathan got a Fit Bit and a few other really amazing gifts! :jaw:
Wow. I think that’s kind of weird. I mean if Nathan wanted a wearable I’m sure he would have one (and he may, I don’t know). As always I could be wrong!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Throwing things to skaters has been a tradition of the sport for quite some time, though flowers when unwrapped were the scariest (from a skaters perspective).

I just wonder where everyone thinks their stuffies are going?? Most get donated to children's hospitals or charities, etc. And if you hand your favorite skater a ton of flowers, those may make it back to their hotel room but that is where they stay until they're removed by housekeeping. The skater doesn't pack them and take them home with them.

Feel free to throw things, but know 98% of the time that those things (dependent of what they are) aren't going home with the skaters. So what is the difference if you throw a stuffy/hand them a dozen roses or just give to a children's charity or something in their name?
Well I wouldn’t think the skater would take the flowers home with them. They have a limited shelf life. I hope they appreciate them in the moment and perhaps they enjoy them in their hotel room. It’s a personal connection thing I wouldn’t get by donating to a charity.

Throwing stuffies for me is a way to say “that was a great performance” in that moment. I think most people find it fun. I pay like $2 per stuffy, and I do it over the course of a year. Donating $2 to a children’s charity wouldn’t be very impactful. Besides, if I wanted to give to a charity in their name i would find out if they had a favorite charity or I would donate to the Memorial Fund in their name (and I have). Or donate to their Gofundmes (but I think $2 would be kind of an insult there)

It’s just something fun and unique to skating that I enjoy.

And no one ever interviewed me on the news for donating money. 😂😂😂

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well I wouldn’t think the skater would take the flowers home with them. They have a limited shelf life. I hope they appreciate them in the moment and perhaps they enjoy them in their hotel room. It’s a personal connection thing I wouldn’t get by donating to a charity.

Throwing stuffies for me is a way to say “that was a great performance” in that moment. I think most people find it fun. I pay like $2 per stuffy, and I do it over the course of a year. Donating $2 to a children’s charity wouldn’t be very impactful. Besides, if I wanted to give to a charity in their name i would find out if they had a favorite charity or I would donate to the Memorial Fund in their name (and I have). Or donate to their Gofundmes (but I think $2 would be kind of an insult there)

It’s just something fun and unique to skating that I enjoy.

And no one ever interviewed me on the news for donating money. 😂😂😂
Really? $2 for stuffies? Although I didn't know the cost of them, I would have imagined a much higher pricetag, if I'd been forced to guess.

Frankly, it was one of my motivating factors for looking at alternatives. On that glorious day when I'm actually able to attend a major competition in person, I want to do something for ALL the skaters. I just assumed the cost of stuffies would make that unaffordable, whereas a gift card in a modest amount could fit the budget. I know a $5 gift card isn't going to offset an hour of ice time, but it would buy someone a cup at Starbucks, and I'm always appreciative when someone treats me to a coffee.

And then (thinking the cost of stuffies would be higher), the hospital angle was explained... but rather than giving stuffed animals, why not crowdsource medical equipment... piling up small donations rather than teddy bears. But... just musings.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Really? $2 for stuffies? Although I didn't know the cost of them, I would have imagined a much higher pricetag, if I'd been forced to guess.

Frankly, it was one of my motivating factors for looking at alternatives. On that glorious day when I'm actually able to attend a major competition in person, I want to do something for ALL the skaters. I just assumed the cost of stuffies would make that unaffordable, whereas a gift card in a modest amount could fit the budget. I know a $5 gift card isn't going to offset an hour of ice time, but it would buy someone a cup at Starbucks, and I'm always appreciative when someone treats me to a coffee.

And then (thinking the cost of stuffies would be higher), the hospital angle was explained... but rather than giving stuffed animals, why not crowdsource medical equipment... piling up small donations rather than teddy bears. But... just musings.
There are more expensive stuffies that get thrown. They're not all 2 dollars.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I have my tricks. I go up to Walgreens at midnight (24/7 Walgreens) after each holiday. I buy anything special I want at 50% off. When it goes to 75% off I go buy more. When it goes to 90% I get whatever is left.

Also Petsmart has bins of stuffies they sell for cheap at Christmas. I can't remember how much exactly, but they always have a ton left over, and they end up almost giving them away. Cats, dogs, rabbits, last time I bought one a hedgehog.

Some stuffies this does not work for, like I had to buy Donovan a superhero stuffie and there is no holiday for superhero stuffies. BTW I threw him a stuffed chicken at Philadelphia International and someone saw it safely tucked into his bag, so it made it out of the rink. A chicken was all I had left. :rofl: So I will make up for the chicken with a superhero.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There are more expensive stuffies that get thrown. They're not all 2 dollars.
Of course there are. I saw someone at a comp Hanyu was at (can't remember which) where someone had an ENORMOUS Pooh. That was at LEAST a $150 Pooh, if not more. I wouldn't have been able to throw it, let alone bring it to the rink. I mean it was insane. I'm pretty sure it was taller than me. But I don't buy those and I don't buy many normal person big ones anymore, they take up too much room and those will definitely not make it home with the skaters.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I think it's because people like throwing stuffies, it's fun and colorful and something that is ONLY in figure skating. If you would prefer to give out gift cards I hope you do if it will make you happy. Unless there is a box, or you throw them onto the ice, you will be hard pressed to find them all. They don't all go to the FOFS breakfast (if you're at a comp that has that). If you go to US Nationals you will run into them everywhere. At major International events they often have an entourage. At Worlds I passed Javi going to the presser, and he had a whole army around him. International events tend to be more...persnickety. Even Cranberry International. Except Philadelphia International, but that's hardly a major competition, and we don't know if it will ever be held again.

There are people who bring special gifts to the skaters, such as wine, to the FOFS. One obviously couldn't throw that on the ice. And one would have to know what kind of wine the skater liked.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There was an interview with Evgenia after the 2013-2014 JGP Final in Japan. The Japanese fans threw a ton of stuffies on the ice for her and Serafina. They brought them all home, they had to sit on the suitcase to close it. Evgenia and Serafina were happy with them.

I think the skaters are happy with them.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There was an interview with Evgenia after the 2013-2015 JGP Final in Japan. The Japanese fans threw a ton of stuffies on the ice for her and Serafina. They brought them all home, they had to sit on the suitcase to close it. Evgenia and Serafina were happy with them.

I think the skaters are happy with them.
That is so cute!