Is the throwing of things on the ice finally over? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Is the throwing of things on the ice finally over?

chaser

Rinkside
That's what makes it special! It is unique to skating.
Gifts to the skaters via volunteers is absolutely acceptable in my view. Throwing them onto the field of play is probably unique but can hold up the next competitor while the ice is cleared. That’s not great.

chaser

Rinkside
Some team's fans throw octopi. They're very serious about it. I offended someone by saying I thought it was gross. I still think it's gross. Someone has to pick them all up. Ewww.

These people are WEIRD. Nobody better ever talk about me again. :rofl: They pick it up with their BARE HANDS.

By the way, when an octopus is thrown, the game stops until the octopus getter has gotten the octopus. There have been up to 36 octopi thrown in one game, so that actually IS disruptive. There's a whole thing about fetching it and spinning it too.

I've seen oranges thrown when a football team makes the Orange Bowl.

Uggh. Mental vision of slimy octopus sliding on the ice. Secondary vision of taking one to a sports event for the purpose of flinging it onto the ice. Quad uggh.
They are best barbecued quickly.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yeah, I think someone else did an all-caps reply on this as well. I think the message got through (At least I got it, another person also made a comment that there was no reason to come off with a rude reply). I don't think the other person's intention was to be rude replying with an all-caps and a bit of a condescending tone, but it's hard to not misinterpret the comment's intention (to educate? or to castigate?) if all I have is the text edits (the use of italics in specific words and the all-caps).
Perhaps, like me, their immediate reaction was panic, panic that someone was about to do something incredibly dangerous for the skaters, and the response was accordingly alarmed.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gifts to the skaters via volunteers is absolutely acceptable in my view. Throwing them onto the field of play is probably unique but can hold up the next competitor while the ice is cleared. That’s not great.
Unless a person is Hanyu, this isn’t really a thing. When a skater leaves the ice, they have to wait on their scores. This is the time the sweepers clear the ice. There are multiple sweepers and they train for this occasion. They are really fast! And most skaters do not get that much. Sometimes they only get the one thing I threw.

It’s not like throwing 36 octopi and having the whole hockey game stop. Like I said nobody needs to talk about me ever again. I’m not bringing bags of stinky dead animals and throwing them😂😂😂

Dogo

On the Ice
Perhaps, like me, their immediate reaction was panic, panic that someone was about to do something incredibly dangerous for the skaters, and the response was accordingly alarmed.
No worries & all love (and no offense taken). I will assure you that no skater will die during a Gala 'by plushie' under my watch ;)

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am one who sincerely hopes the tradition of plushie-throwing will continue, even if the plushies have to be wrapped. As mentioned earlier, the skaters seem to enjoy it, and I have enjoyed the process of finding the perfect plushie for each skater I have wished to throw them at. Even though most skaters donate their plushies, I still feel like the kind intentions behind them can be felt by whoever ultimately receives them.

It's funny though, I no longer feel the need to throw plushies after all my plushie dreams came true. I've received photographic evidence that Tomoki Hiwatashi kept my Pikachu (I still hold out hope for him!). I've participated in a Pooh rain. At Skate America 2021, Daria Usacheva picked up my parrot off the ice. Last but not least, I was able to give plushies directly to four very amazing men (including my fave 🥰) after that same competition.

Maybe there will come a time when I will feel the need to throw plushies again. At this time, though, my main goal is to throw some flowers at a certain someone... (Not my fave, he doesn't seem like the type of person who appreciates flowers. 🤣)