Is there a scenario where Yuna might change her mind for 2018? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Is there a scenario where Yuna might change her mind for 2018?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuna is almost 23 years old now and rich. What could the KSU really do to her? She needs to just tell them no and be done with it.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Henie had 10 world titles in a different era. I doubt Yuna gives her a thought. I hope YuNa goes to a real school, becomes a great leader in Korea. Her voice is ok, nothing special. Does she want to be an actress? I hope not. Way too many of them and wannabees.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Yuna is almost 23 years old now and rich. What could the KSU really do to her? She needs to just tell them no and be done with it.

Having copious amounts of money does not necessarily bar you from pressure or anything like that. She has the power to make a difference, but others also have the power to stop her or at least create a roadblock. She might have money, but there are those who have more money and power than she does.

Anyway, I just hope that if she does decide to come back for 2018, it will be on her own terms. If not, it's okay. We'll just settle for old competition videos on YouTube. :)
Henie had 10 world titles in a different era. I doubt Yuna gives her a thought. I hope YuNa goes to a real school, becomes a great leader in Korea. Her voice is ok, nothing special. Does she want to be an actress? I hope not. Way too many of them and wannabees.

Didn't she graduate from Korea University this year? I would say that's a "real school".

Eclair

Medalist

Like aftertherain said, she graduated from Korea University this year, aiming to become a teacher. But I think she's changed her mind, since she said in an interview, that she aims for becoming a member of the IOC - international Olympic committee. I believe for an athletes to become a member, one needs to win a Olympic gold medal the year before applying (this is the reason she couldn't apply in 2012, because her gold medal was already 2 years 'old').

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/sports/2013/07/136_114259.html

Figure skater Kim Yu-na to return to competition, retire after Sochi Olympics

In a hastily scheduled press conference at the National Training Center in Seoul, the 21-year-old admitted she had difficulty staying motivated after winning her gold medal at the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics. She said she found an unlikely source of inspiration from younger South Korean skaters while training in Seoul during her extended break from competition, rather than her usual base in Los Angeles.

"I just tried to be a good teammate for the young ones," Kim said. "But I was inspired by their hard work. It also gave me the drive to keep going, and I decided I still had some business left to take care of."

Kim entered the 2010 world championships about a month after Vancouver and finished second. She later confessed to suffering from an emotional letdown and sat out the entire 2010-11 season before entering the world championship in April 2011 and finishing runner-up again.

Kim, who hasn't competed for more than a year and has only done corporate ice shows in that time, said she "just wanted to get away from it all, even just for one day."

"After Vancouver, I couldn't find a bigger goal for myself as a figure skater, but expectations from fans kept growing," she said. "I was really burdened by them all. I had no idea just how much harder I had to train to stay in form, and I was afraid that I would let so many people down if I made mistakes in competition."

Ultimately, the competitor in Kim got the best of her.

"I decided I could lower my own expectations and adjust my goal so I can simply skate for myself," Kim said. "I thought if I let this pressure or fear get to me and end my career, I would regret it later."

Kim's future has been a subject of endless speculation since her gold medal-winning performance in Vancouver, which came about a year after her first and only world crown. Until Monday, she had never fully committed to either an amateur career, which would entail more Olympics and world championship appearances, or professional pursuits, such as taking part in ice show tours.

Last month in Shanghai, where she appeared at an ice show, Kim told a press conference she would make a decision on her future before the end of this summer.

Kim is already looking ahead to beyond her playing career. She said she will try to become a member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) after the Sochi Games.

She also said she harbored dreams of a career in sports diplomacy, while serving as an honorary ambassador for South Korean town PyeongChang's successful bid to host the 2018 Winter Olympics. Her presentation last July during the IOC General Assembly in Durban, South Africa, before members voted on the Olympic host has been credited with helping PyeongChang beat out Munich, Germany, and Annecy, France.

"Sochi will not be an end but a new beginning," Kim said. "It will be a new start for me as I pursue new dreams and take on new challenges."

EricRohmer

On the Ice
Then lo and behold, a surprising quote from Virtue in yesterday's IN article does not rule out the possibility of continuing to compete in the 2014-15 season. :)

Really?
It seems to be a signal of confidence for her body condition! :)

Really interesting article! Thanks, Eclair.

A member of the IOC...that's a possibility I hadn't considered. It makes sense. She could be a diplomatic presence in world affairs but do it through the medium of something in which she has years of experience.

Hey, wouldn't it be great if someday she could become the head of the ISU? At least she understands the needs of figure skaters, unlike the current head.

It occurs to me that if she is aiming for a career in an international organization, it might be nice if she could take some courses in things such as business administration. After all, though she's looked up to and respected, a skater's life is largely made up of (1) solitary training and (2) listening to and obeying coaches, judges, and other figures in authority. These two types of behavior are almost diametrically opposite to the kind of job where you have to work with all sorts of people (often in a succession of meetings where you have to negotiate in a savvy way) and manage a lot of people, materials, and funds. It helps to acquire a bit of technique in all those areas. After all, in an army, people aren't just promoted to general. They go to officer training school and learn how.

Celine

On the Ice
Personally, I bet she would LOATHE the notion. But if the question is "is there a scenario"? SUUUUUURE. Combo of KaCHINGGGGG and Political pressure. It would HORRIFIC for her. And I would be SAD for her. Even though said scenario would likely be tens of millions of $ (and I think that IS the only scenario).

Poor girl.

Icey

Record Breaker

I meant Henie's olympic record of 3 golds. There is no way Yuna would ever get 10 world titles.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I actually think there is a very good chance she will skate at both the 2014 and 2015 Worlds, take a break of almost 2 whole years, then come back for the 2017 Worlds and an attempt at a 3rd Olympic Gold in 2018.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
I actually think there is a very good chance she will skate at both the 2014 and 2015 Worlds, take a break of almost 2 whole years, then come back for the 2017 Worlds and an attempt at a 3rd Olympic Gold in 2018.

Haha! How I wish this would come true. However, the chance of this happening appears remote as of now.

cooper

Medalist
didn't we say back in 2011, the chance of Kim returning was remote too ? ;)

but that was different.. yuna never said that she's going to retire.. unlike now.. there's already a declaration from her that sochi will be her last

Well, I suppose stranger things have happened. Irina Rodnina stayed at the top of her skills throughout a long career (also 10 world titles and 3 Olympic golds with two different partners), and she won her final OGM at the age of I think 30. The jumps and throws were less demanding in those days, so I don't know if wear and tear on the body was as great, and that will be a factor. Look at Plushenko, who has had an equally long career, also at or near the peak of excellence. His back problems seem quite acute. But if any current ladies' singles skater is capable of the feat of landing on the podium in a third Olympics, it's YuNa.

thinspread

On the Ice
I would love to see her continue. She will be only 23 at Sochi. But I too think it's unlikely whether she wins or not. How about an occasional acting career after the olympics? Good actors give signals and impressions through body movements as well as voice and facial expression. I think she could be good at those and I want to see her try at least once.

lcd

Match Penalty

I agree. Wouldn't surprise me a bit. She has been blessed with good health (relatively little in the way of interfering injuries) for most of her career. Could definitely see her being "able" to be there in 2018