ISU releases official agenda with proposals for 2024: age limits, jump limits and more | Page 20 | Golden Skate

ISU releases official agenda with proposals for 2024: age limits, jump limits and more

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Oh, I dunno. One reason my partner and I got along so well was that we were both night owls. The only time we skated before about 10 a.m. was at competitions when pairs practice times were fixed, and then we did a lot of languid stroking and hanging on the boards "discussing with our coach". To this day my favourite time to skate is the hours around midnight, which has been a help over the recreational years because I could rent cheap private ice at that time at municipal arenas.

On the other hand, any morning lark who dares chirp at me better have a good medical insurance plan. When I was at UBC getting my starter degree, my BA, I chose my optional courses in part by their scheduled time. Any otherwise interesting-sounding course that started at 8:30 a.m. was regretfully crossed off my list while I looked for some other course that started at 10:30 or later.
Fair enough but I would think you are a special case.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
If you go to bed at 3 or 4 a.m. it can be. I'm a night owl. Hoot! Yuzu used to skate alone at 1 - 2 a.m. at times, when he was working on a jump. Relentless.
I am a night owl too but when I was swimming, it had to be 630am every morning... and I adapted. I think 9am is really not a big deal honestly.

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I am a night owl too but when I was swimming, it had to be 630am every morning... and I adapted. I think 9am is really not a big deal honestly.

I see you as amazing, then. I could never adapt. I need more restorative sleep. And you know how people say, "Well, then, go to bed earlier!" I can't do that. When I was a kid, my mom had a horrible time getting me out of bed in the morning for school. I really like the feel of late night. It's when I'm at my creative best for coming up with and working on ideas. Swimming at 6:30 a.m., I'd probably fall asleep in the water and drown.

Ha.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I see you as amazing, then. I could never adapt. I need more restorative sleep. And you know how people say, "Well, then, go to be earlier!" I can't do that. When I was a kid, my mom had a horrible time getting me out of bed in the morning for school. I really like the feel of late night. It's when I'm at my creative best for coming up with and working on ideas. Swimming at 6:30 a.m., I'd probably fall asleep in the water and drown.

Ha.
The swimming was alright but I was in college back then and I slept through my morning classes :)

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
If you go to bed at 3 or 4 a.m. it can be. I'm a night owl. Hoot! Yuzu used to skate alone at 1 - 2 a.m. at times, when he was working on a jump. Relentless.
Welcome to the club. Go to bed at 2 a.m., am woken by cat at somewhere between 9 and 10, every night. Middle of the night is the best time to skate, if your rink is open 24 hrs. No spectators except the rare night maintenance worker passing through, silence except for your own music or the hiss of a blade. So peaceful, and so few distractions to your progress.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
The swimming was alright but I was in college back then and I slept through my morning classes :)
Your professors must have loved that. The kid who wafts in on a cloud of chlorine and then snores throughout the lecture. :rolleye:

Our dentist had a chairside assistant who had to get up at 4:30 a.m. to get to her synchro swim team's practices three mornings a week. You learned not to book morning dental appointments on those days. By noon she'd be wired enough on coffee to be able to direct her sprayer on your teeth, and not shoot the water down your neck or up your nose. :coffee:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Spousal Unit deliberately taught 8 o'clocks and 9 o'clocks. As he said, there are no innocent bystanders at an 8 o'clock class, and he felt he got better students. Considering some of his classes attracted fluff seekers, the time of day weeded them out.

For those who fell asleep, he stopped lecturing and stood in front of the student. The class was silent. He dropped a very heavy book on the floor. Student wakes up. He continued with his lecture.

And if you looked on the vaunted "Rate My Professors", his lectures pretty much got good reviews. Except from sleepers.:laugh:

As for skaters waking up for early practice, another story about Jason (I'm sorry, he's the skater I know the most about. :) )

As a teen, Jason's parents insisted he live at home with his family and attend public school. Therefore, practice times were exceedingly early. His parents said to him, we will get up at whatever hour of the morning and drive you to practice. But this has to be your idea. We are not waking you up for practice. You need to want it enough to get yourself up and to get us.

the rest is history. (as in he went to practice):biggrin:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Spousal Unit deliberately taught 8 o'clocks and 9 o'clocks. As he said, there are no innocent bystanders at an 8 o'clock class, and he felt he got better students. Considering some of his classes attracted fluff seekers, the time of day weeded them out.
i never missed a class.... i was always there, but.... sleeping ;) I was able to take notes and listen enough to manage... it became a running gag as I was always sleeping but would ace the exams ;)
For those who fell asleep, he stopped lecturing and stood in front of the student. The class was silent. He dropped a very heavy book on the floor. Student wakes up. He continued with his lecture.
That's called bullying in our generation. plus, as I slept pretty much in every morning class for two years, that's a lot of books destroyed in the end ;) Really, I did talk to the teachers telling them I was in the swim team yet being a musician on top of college and I got some slack especially since I had great grades. Over achievers can earn respect despite misbehaving ;)
And if you looked on the vaunted "Rate My Professors", his lectures pretty much got good reviews. Except from sleepers.:laugh:
I never reviewed any of my teachers.... :) I was sleeping, it wouldn't be fair to them....
As for skaters waking up for early practice, another story about Jason (I'm sorry, he's the skater I know the most about. :) )

As a teen, Jason's parents insisted he live at home with his family and attend public school. Therefore, practice times were exceedingly early. His parents said to him, we will get up at whatever hour of the morning and drive you to practice. But this has to be your idea. We are not waking you up for practice. You need to want it enough to get yourself up and to get us.
and that's why I was up at 5am, getting in the car at 5:45 am and reaching the pool at 6:30am. I loved it.
the rest is history. (as in he went to practice):biggrin:
when I decided to stop swimming to focus only on music, I kept the same schedule for a couple years... but instead of swimming laps at 630am I was doing scales ;)

I got a bit older and my natural came back... I stopped going to school early to practice and I stayed up instead. Often until 3 or 4am every night. I fell asleep a couple times and had the black keys embedded in my forehead.

Gosh I miss being young :)

The point I was making, and to get back to topic is that really, when you are dedicated about something, the schedule is secondary. You make it work. I have never heard a skater withdrawing from an event because they had to compete at 9am ;)