ISU Where Will Worlds BE (formerly) JAPAN QUAKE FOR WORLDS | Page 12 | Golden Skate

ISU Where Will Worlds BE (formerly) JAPAN QUAKE FOR WORLDS

breeze

Rinkside
I am also annoyed by how the Japanese government is dealing with the radiation leak situation and restricting information, especially because I have family members living in Korea and Japan. I have been constantly feeling anxious since last Friday worrying about them (first for the ones in Japan, and now for ones in Korea, too). But I believe right now is the time for us to send our supports rather than criticism, and believe that they are doing what is best for their people. Japanese people were hurt the most by these tragic incidents, and there still are huge number of people in need of immediate help.

NMURA, I think the purpose of constant rule changing is to construct more effective and fair set of rules to judge this subjective sports, not just to make it more interesting. And revenue from sports events should be based on prosperity of the sports itself, and should not be the main goal of holding such events. ISU probably will make more money for WC 2011 if it's held in Oct. than in April. But would it make next season more intersting? or more lucrative? Sportsmanship is about challenging oneself and overcoming hardships, yes, but what's the use of putting our skaters into an unnecessarily challenging situation? I agree with SkateFiguring that WC in October is ridiculous.

Last edited:

chloepoco

Medalist
Pardon me, but I disagree. How is Japan a victim in this situation?

Are you serious?

Just curious, but where are you from? Does your country have absolutely no nuclear plants, or are they built so well that they could have sustained an earthquake and tsunami?

Last edited:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Delaying the World Championships until October when it could be held now (if the multiple reports of other countries offering to host it are true) is monstrously unfair to the athletes. We know at least two high ranking skaters with very realistic gold medal chances are looking to retire after this season: Daisuke Takahashi and Miki Ando (less certain her case). And we all know how often competitive skaters wait until after they retire from competition to promptly undergo surgery to relieve some chronic condition. We know both Takahashi and Ando have struggled with ongoing injuries in the past, they could be holding on right now to a lot of pain and the end in sight just got a lot farther away.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Please post comments that are primarily about the tsunami, earthquake and nuclear situation in the thread in Le Cafe? I had hoped this thread would be primarily for discussion on when & if Worlds will be held.

Which brings up a difficult point. If Worlds is not held, how will skaters be seeded into the GP?

And if the Worlds is held in Oct, should this year's Golden Waltz SD be used, or next year's Rhumba?

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
October is not a good time! Not only will it be the beginning of the new season, but a lot of skaters could potentially get injured training full-tilt during the summer! I am not for total cancellation, but if that is the only option Speedy is willing to consider, then cancel them! Health is more important than any medal. I'd rather see Miki Ando able to walk in thirty, forty years with her children in the future (if she has them), than to train full-tilt, win worlds this year, then not be able to walk.

Also, if he really wants the ISU to make money in the future, he needs to step up the humanitarian effort. If he gives the WC's to a country that is able to host it, with the stipulation that Tokyo will get WC's in the near future, he will show the world that not only is he acting on the athlete's best interest, but on Japan's best interest, as well. It's time that man stopped thinking about cashing in from figure skating in the short term, and looked at the future of the sport in the long term. He needs to endear more people to the sport, so people won't keep turning away!

Here's an idea--why not host the WC's this year along with the Synchronized WC's? It takes two days to host Synchronized WC's, and this year's host (Helsinki) has already successfully hosted WC's before.

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
Worlds in Oct. means skaters are going to practice this season's programs and maybe many of them will skate them next season,too.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
The following may be about the nuclear disaster, but it is completely relevant to figure skating!

OK... I was optimistic about the crisis at Fukushima. I am not any more after the events and reports of the last few days. I think there's a high chance the situation will worsen, and its effects, cleanup and the travel advisory will last for many months. In fact, never mind October, I think there's a chance next season's NHK trophy in November may not be held.

It really behooves the ISU to entirely give up on the idea of hosting the World Championships in Japan, even with a delay of a few months. I don't foresee many countries lifting their travel advisories to Japan for months, and many federations will follow suit.

It makes me nauseous to even think about how bad Fukushima is likely to get, and I hope I am wrong, but I don't think I am.

NMURA

Medalist
According to Gazetta dello Sporto of Italy, the ISU president Cinquanta said, there are three options to be considered at the ISU administrative board.

(1) canceling 2011 WC
(2) WC in Tokyo in October
(3) WC in other countries in October

Sorry, the idea of relocating to another country in April is already dead. October or No worlds. And I don't think other countries will go forward under this circumstance. The WC in October must be a full-fledged, prestigious event with guaranteed revenue for the ISU. I think most of the skater will choose an October worlds than outright cancellation. If you don't want "changes" and some "inconveniences", just stay home. The rivals will welcome that.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Serious Business, I agree with so much of what you've said ( in fact, I think I lost a post somewhere saying much the same..:biggrin: ).

Speedy has irked me from the beginning of this with his " respect for the Japanese people " , as if that was wanting. Who doesn't feel sorrow for them ,and feel respect for the way they're facing up to this harrowing situation, and heartbreaking loss ?

What is reprehensible , to me , is that the athletes, the whole reason for the event , appear to be given the least consideration in the ISU's thinking.

If they do this ridiculous thing, (October)what will they do with the SD? Should they go for the new one? After all, they appear to be trying to keep the SD for Jr.and Sr. in the same group..I would think this would be to accommodate teams who may be in the Jr. Grand Prix but can skate as Sr. in their Nationals ? The Jr.s have had their World's would they also have to hold on to their SD for two yrs ? What about those who will have to move up to Sr. because of age ? They'd have a very short time to work on a new SD and try to be at their best by October. Will everyone have to now wait til October to know their ranking ?

I think this will be really hard on the skaters any way you look at it...

ETA : The skaters will not 'choose" this. The skaters will have no choice.

Also ; SB is right , October in Japan may still be out of the question, and finding an alternate location might not be any easier then. Check the IAEA notices doris has been kindly posting on the other thread..

Last edited:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
According to Gazetta dello Sporto of Italy, the ISU president Cinquanta said, there are three options to be considered at the ISU administrative board.

(1) canceling 2011 WC
(2) WC in Tokyo in October
(3) WC in other countries in October

Sorry, the idea of relocating to another country in April is already dead. October or No worlds. And I don't think other countries will go forward under this circumstance. The WC in October must be a full-fledged, prestigious event with guaranteed revenue for the ISU. I think most of the skater will choose an October worlds than outright cancellation. If you don't want "changes" and some "inconveniences", just stay home. The rivals will welcome that.

NMURA, I agree with your assessment of what will happen (except I don't think Japan is a possibility even in October). However, I don't think this is a good decision by the ISU.

It's not a simple change or minor inconvenience for many skaters, it's a huge and unprecedented change to make skaters compete at the most important event at the start of a season. And for some skaters who are waiting for Worlds to be over to retire and get surgery, this wait may be painful or not even feasible.

But more than that, I think the ISU is wrong that waiting a few months will make for an event that generates significantly more revenue, enough money to justify the sacrifice they ask of skaters and their teams. I think the chances of Worlds being in Japan, the most lucrative country for skating, in October are slim. And a few extra months of advertising in any other country won't put that many extra butts in seats. In fact, there's no guarantee at all that waiting will increase revenue. The ISU should make every effort to stage Worlds in another country sooner.

That is my opinion and wish, though I don't think it's likely to happen.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Takahashi was planning on surgery right? and so was Kostner?

I thought of Plushenko getting his eligibility back in June and then trying to be the Russian man at 2011 worlds but he would got for 2012 and not knock Gachinski off his rightful spot for 2011 worlds. But what if there is no 2011 worlds and Russia only has one spot then would Plushenko not even try until 2013 rather than go against a younger training partner? Same thing with all the Americans who have spots for 2011 but who may lose them for 2012 - so unfortunate for young skaters like Miner and Dornbush who could be knocked out by older ones like Abbott or LOL Rippon (he is young too!). Just wondering.

islandpaddler

On the Ice
Country
US-Virgin-Islands
The ISU needs to take a cue from the Rugby World Cup, which told Christchurch that it can't host fall events because the stadium is currently damaged from its earthquake and it's unlikely they'll be enough rooms for people coming to watch.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/rugby-world-cup/4773298/Christchurch-loses-Rugby-World-Cup-games

There is no disrespect to Japan in cancelling the World Figure Skating Championships. Some realism is needed here. As many have said before me, you can't organize an event like Worlds on a dime. Even if the city is experienced in hosting such events, it takes time, funding and advance planning to get it together. Cancelling Worlds is certainly sad for the skaters but this is certainly beyond a tragedy for Japan and as appears to be unfolding, for the region and perhaps the world.

I, for one, am very sad for Alissa. I'm a big fan, and it seems to me that she'll soon have to move on and will have lost her last chance to skate at Worlds. I'm sad for the Japanese skaters, who not only won't get to go to Worlds on their home turf and whose country is in turmoil. I'm sad for me, because living out here in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, events in Asia come on early in the morning, which is great for watching via the Internet. But beyond all this, I'm so sad by the plight of the Japanese people. Those in New Zealand too, and Haiti, which is now off the media radar, but sits just 500 miles to the west of me and where its earthquake aftermath continues.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
[ , "Whoops--we also don't have an ice rink."

By that time I was trying not to laugh out loud at my desk, but I felt so much better. Of course, when I go back and read the latest news, it hurts again, but I think of Reno (which I think is in the desert) sitting there all ready, except for ice, to hold the Worlds on some happier day, and it does help a bit.

Greensboro, NC, has an arena, but no real ice rink. They hired a company that did a whole second ice sheet where none had ever been for the practice rink, as well as the ice in the main arena where there had been ice from time to time for ice shows and perhaps hockey? and a patch of ice in another hall for photo ops.

It was the same group that did the ice at Foxwoods over a carpet without damaging it, believe it or not, for the Skating with Celebrities thing a couple years ago.

The quality fo the skating at US nationals was amazing, and the buzz I heard was that the ice was really, really good.

So you don't need ice to put Worlds on. All you need is an arena.

colleen, the SD issue is most confusing for me as well, with Worlds delayed.

And yes, I think Speedy is looking to collect the insurance without the bother of putting on Worlds.

I am so sad for the Japanese team who may not get the opportunity to skate in a Worlds in front of their fans. So sad for Dai and Kozuka, and Mao and Miki with a real shot to win. So sad for Kanako to miss her first worlds. I am so sad for the 3 American boys who did not get to go to 4CC's, and so who knows what happens to them in the GP, particularly Ross, since this may be his only shot. So sad for Meryl and Charlie, since this may be their best chance to win Worlds. So sad for Nathalie and Fabien who surely would have medalled. So sad for I&K, the Shibs whose first Worlds will not happen.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I am so sad for the Japanese team who may not get the opportunity to skate in a Worlds in front of their fans. So sad for Dai and Kozuka, and Mao and Miki with a real shot to win. So sad for Kanako to miss her first worlds..
I know it might not be realistical but I would wish that if Worlds would be held , it would be held in Japan later in the year cause I know japanese fans want it too, and I feel for the japanese skaters, Daisuke stayed one more year post Vancouver for this chance. I know it causes discomforts in next season but worse things happen and for one year they might change the rules or something.

Or else no worlds at all, as someone said worlds are held every year, it is post Olympic season, they can afford not having one. What if it was Olympics the competition in question?
"having a cow." It means to be upset about someone, though it's usually used for a moment of less distressful agitation, because it's a bit light-hearted. So you could say that people were having a cow because the bus was delayed, for example, but in dire circumstances one wouldn't use such a flippant, humorous term. (Forgive me if I'm telling you something you already know. But just in case....)

I m always open to new knowledge:cool: plus I ll do my first ever trip in Usa in a couple of weeks and I m excited, I might use the phrase!

Snoopy

Rinkside
I am not crazy about this October idea. I think it would be kinder to the athletes to stage a no-frills event in April, just to get it into the record books. I also think if it is held in October, that the current athletes who are listed to compete must be the only ones allowed to attend and other skaters should not be allowed to be take someone's place (for instance, if someone recovers from injury or a current skater becomes injured). If someone has to drop out in the next 6 months, their spot should not be filled. Just my opinion - for the fairness to all of the competitors to keep this as close to what the competition would have looked like had it been held in March.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Let me make something clear. I didn't write that post not knowing that Japan is a country with not as much natural resources, but I was being "sarcastic" about this whole thing because Japan is the one that built all those nuclear plants which led to this disastrous situation.

Throughout its history, Japan suffered from frequent earthquakes. Wasn't it only foreseeable that there might be some serious earthquakes and they needed to be extra cautious when building nuclear plants?!? I find it ironic because you had mentioned that Japan needed nuclear technology to rebuild itself from the destruction from WWII. However, God forbid if these plants explode, I don't even know what's gonna happen to Japan and the rest of the world.

I also think Japanese federation was being ridiculously selfish for not willing to cancel or relocate the event. Would you fly into a country where tsunami, earthquake, and nuclear meltdown are all happening at once? Other than world organizations and volunteers trying to aid Japanese people, everyone has to be extremely cautious for safety reasons. When people argued that the worlds should be still held in Japan, I thought it was inconsiderate of the safety of all the skaters.

Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive and I apologise if that is not your intention but the above post leaves a very unsavoury anti-japanese flavour in my mouth. Moving, cancelling, postponing anything to do with worlds is a decision taken by the ISU who will undoubtedly consult with all member federations, and especially the host nation for this year. No decision will be made solely by the JSF.

Ant