ISU Where Will Worlds BE (formerly) JAPAN QUAKE FOR WORLDS | Page 13 | Golden Skate

ISU Where Will Worlds BE (formerly) JAPAN QUAKE FOR WORLDS

cooper

Medalist
Worlds in October? :laugh: Sorry, I can't stop laughing at the idea of having Worlds 2011 in October. How is that even possible? I guess it's all about $$$.

ISU should cancel the Worlds or maybe put an ice event to benefit the victims.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Doris, your post made me cry about all the skaters. I'm sad for Rachael, who took this whole year off--she's gonna go to college next year.

No one is benefiting from WC's in October except Speedy.

The only ones with any sort of power are the skaters. The skaters must demand either a WC this year (without the frills), or no WC at all, and next season will just be another season.

He is going to increase the likelihood for injuries in the next season, again, if the skaters train full-tilt over the summer to do well in the fall WC, then a GP to follow, with another WC in March. Who will skate in the WC in March, with all the contenders injured?

Greensboro, NC, has an arena, but no real ice rink. They hired a company that did a whole second ice sheet where none had ever been for the practice rink, as well as the ice in the main arena where there had been ice from time to time for ice shows and perhaps hockey? and a patch of ice in another hall for photo ops.

It was the same group that did the ice at Foxwoods over a carpet without damaging it, believe it or not, for the Skating with Celebrities thing a couple years ago.

The quality fo the skating at US nationals was amazing, and the buzz I heard was that the ice was really, really good.

So you don't need ice to put Worlds on. All you need is an arena.

colleen, the SD issue is most confusing for me as well, with Worlds delayed.

And yes, I think Speedy is looking to collect the insurance without the bother of putting on Worlds.

I am so sad for the Japanese team who may not get the opportunity to skate in a Worlds in front of their fans. So sad for Dai and Kozuka, and Mao and Miki with a real shot to win. So sad for Kanako to miss her first worlds. I am so sad for the 3 American boys who did not get to go to 4CC's, and so who knows what happens to them in the GP, particularly Ross, since this may be his only shot. So sad for Meryl and Charlie, since this may be their best chance to win Worlds. So sad for Nathalie and Fabien who surely would have medalled. So sad for I&K, the Shibs whose first Worlds will not happen.

Doris, that was actually me talking about Reno, not Breeze. Mathman has since assured us that Reno actually has a rink, which cheered me up almost irrationally until I realized that I was thinking (such is the way our minds work in stressful times) of how warm and sunny Reno is, and wouldn't it be nice if we could just airlift all the survivors huddling in the cold and the snow out to Reno, where they could just sit and warm up and be fed and comforted. It makes me smile and tear up at the same moment.

I share your sadness for all the people you enumerated. I'll add Alissa, whose trip to Worlds (in her best year ever) may not come again. I know their loss isn't so devastating against the backdrop of what others have lost this week, but it's still significant in their lives, and as Arthur Miller said, attention must be paid. I do hope someone figures out a creative way to salvage Worlds. It would be one small victory against a mountain of terrible events.

On a nicer note, I'm so happy you're getting to pay the U.S. a visit, Seniorita. I hope for only good adventures for you.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
The news this morning is extremely ominous.They either need to cancel outright, or decide on another venue for an early relocation. The JSF cannot give assurances that things will be well even by October..One can understand them hoping against hope that everything will be OK ( and doesn't everyone share that hope )...but it can't be counted on. There are hundreds of thousands of displaced people in the country , and their economy could be reeling for a long time..

The ISU could decide to give the first available slots for major events to Japan ( 2014?). As it stands the uncertainty is unfair to the skaters and in the end the ISU can have continued to drag it's heels until they run out of time anyway. I think October is out of time. If they can't take the loss in $ ,they should say so , and get on with solving the problem of assigning/ adjusting world rankings for 2012.

Last edited:

russell30

Final Flight
I was wondering whether Chinese Taipai could have stepped in at the last moment, who just hosted the 4CC's, although it was virtually empty there.

I am just being fair on BOTH JAPAN & SKATERS, the event should not be cancelled because that is unjust to the skaters, the event should be moved away from Japan so we can respect what they are doing there in terms of recovery. The ISU should make the date soon for skaters, coaches etc to prepare, proceeds of the championships or the gala could go towards the earthquake fund. JAPAN would not like to see the event cancelled and if Dai, Takahiko, Nobonari, Miki or Mao won that would lift the spirit of the people. Sorry to upset some people on here I am a fair person and this has no resemblance to 1961, where yes it was within the skating world and should have been cancelled. This is a natural disaster, an overwhelming one I know, but surely being on a goldenskate forum for our skaters, that the skaters should not be penalised!! Besides in this day and age the ISU should really have a Plan B

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
Agreed. Why does the ISU NOT have a Plan B?

:confused:

Are you actually aware of what kind of planning and preparation such an event requires? There is no feasible plan "B" unless you plan it months ahead of time. Nobody would spend milions to have them wasted as being the backup place for an event which will never take place.

russell30

Final Flight
I am sorry Herios but if you have got a group or groups of people together to host an event it shouldn't take too much time should it??. You can sell tickets within a month, market and advertise within a month, skaters and coaches can prepare within a certain time frame. We are not in siberia.

I am at talking standpoint after Plan A cannot be reached. normally yes when the ISU allocates a country to host a major championships yes they have sufficient time. But it does not take a group of scientists to take the Worlds out of Japan into another country, its hard yes, but feasible. Best to be positive than negative.

Besides the ISU should forfeit the money and not the NEW federation that will put the show on. The ISU has money you know!!. Its the country federations that do not.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
I am sorry Herios but if you have got a group or groups of people together to host an event it shouldn't take too much time should it??. You can sell tickets within a month, market and advertise within a month, skaters and coaches can prepare within a certain time frame. We are not in siberia.

I am at talking standpoint after Plan A cannot be reached. normally yes when the ISU allocates a country to host a major championships yes they have sufficient time. But it does not take a group of scientists to take the Worlds out of Japan into another country, its hard yes, but feasible. Best to be positive than negative.

Besides the ISU should forfeit the money and not the NEW federation that will put the show on. The ISU has money you know!!. Its the country federations that do not.

I don't think the ISU is particularly rich and forfeiting the money would end up being a cost passed on to the member feds anyway in the long run.

I am amazed that people think a world championships can be organised and put on with 30 days notice. I can barely get a meeting of 10 people who work for the same organisation settled within a week of trying :laugh:

Visas, hotels, volunteers, host broadcaster, general infrastructure....It simply cannot be done in 30 days and it is not financially viable to have a plan B on hold just in case the unthinkable happens to plan A.

Ant

russell30

Final Flight
No wonder this world is in a mess and in recession with some people's insights on "it takes time" If the Queen of my country told her authorities to plan something within a month I am sure it would be done.

Anyway enough of my quibbing, maybe this subject has gone on too much now, EXHAUSTED on the matter of whether the Worlds should be shown or not.

ISU over to you

and JAPAN we love you and in my prayers.

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
According to Gazetta dello Sporto of Italy, the ISU president Cinquanta said, there are three options to be considered at the ISU administrative board.

(1) canceling 2011 WC
(2) WC in Tokyo in October
(3) WC in other countries in October

Sorry, the idea of relocating to another country in April is already dead. October or No worlds. And I don't think other countries will go forward under this circumstance. The WC in October must be a full-fledged, prestigious event with guaranteed revenue for the ISU. I think most of the skater will choose an October worlds than outright cancellation. If you don't want "changes" and some "inconveniences", just stay home. The rivals will welcome that.

I don't understand about October. Why not May, June, July or August? Is is just that the ISU feels they need at least until October to organize?

Sigh. I know it's nothing in against the backdrop of the tragedy in Japan, the scope of which just seems to get worse and worse. But I can't help thinking about all of those skaters who might not get a chance at another worlds if its canceled, like Alissa and Rachael (depending on how Stanford affects her career) and Ryan Bradley and Daisuke if he retires. Still ... it is a small thing when compared to the real suffering in Japan and life will go on for those skaters.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
^ i would think skaters are engaged to skate in shows, or have a schedule in the normal off season plus some ice rinks close and re open when the new training season starts? I think it is worse to prolong this season so much more until May and June.

purplegirl

Rinkside
The latest news seems to suggest Worlds won't be canceled outright. Speedy said that "would be an extreme decision" and thus "unlikely." Sounds like they are waiting to see if the Japanese organizers can give assurance about rescheduling (but how can they, given the scary unfolding of the nuclear threat) before considering relocation. Decision on skating worlds expected soon

KKonas

Medalist

Have to agree with herios here. The ISU makes its money on the TV contracts. The JSF makes its money on hosting the event - ticket sales, local advertising, etc. It would be difficult or near impossible to move Worlds to another location in 30 days. The ISU is not the problem - finding another location is. Naturally JSF wants to recoup some of its losses, so it would want to keep Worlds if at all possible.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Layfan...I think October was requested by JSF as an alternate date in Japan.But even that may turn out to be an optimistic projection..no-one knows , and may not be able to know until time runs out to be able to organize it elsewhere.

Some form of pared down event even in 60 days would be preferable for the skaters ,but if the main consideration is the money , I think they should forget it. With all the ISU's talk of respect, respect needs to be shown for the athletes , surely.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Something seems odd to me. In baseball, they often don't know until the last minute which team will hold a playoff. They could get a championship together in a couple of weeks if they wanted to. The athletes are ready and in shape; surely the ISF can find a rink that's not being used, and reporters and media people are used to flying off at a moment's notice to go wherever. And this is an emergency situation. Won't television channels be able to postpone some rerun to show the competition, especially if they add some kind of skating tribute to earthquake victims (which they probably will?)

I think this idea that it has to be in October or else is very suspicious. It shows a disregard to the athletes. It seems like they're more concerned with the JSF losing money than the national champions of every country getting their chance to compete for gold.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Something seems odd to me. In baseball, they often don't know until the last minute which team will hold a playoff. They could get a championship together in a couple of weeks if they wanted to. .

I don't know what would be best for the skaters and ISU and the JSF.

I do think comparing professional domestic league sporting events to an annual Intl event that moves to a different nation each season is not the best analogy.

IN basebal, or any other professional domestic sporting championship the stadium/arena is ready to go as is the FAN BASE. The marketing plans and ticket sales have been anticpated and it is the goal and part of the planning of every professional team to prepare for playoff possibilies.

That is not the case with an Intl skating championship.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Thanks for the links, ing! Percy Nilsson is a rich investor and sports organizer in Sweden, and he is offering to fund and organize the World Championships ASAP (although he is a bit of a sketchy character). This is yet another confirmation that there are people and organizations willing to step in to host the WC sooner than October. Clearly, it is not impossible to host the WC sooner than October.

It seems to me that delaying the championships is mainly because the ISU thinks it will generate more revenue (respect to Japan my fanny!). And it doesn't seem likely that that will change. I am disgusted that the ISU put the immediate and tangible concerns for the athletes aside for some far-from-guaranteed monetary gain.