Jamie Sale comments on Johnny Weir | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Jamie Sale comments on Johnny Weir

Tesla

Final Flight
Ok, I'm glad it wasn't me about the macho thing. :) And I think it's ridiculous to blame Johnny for problems in the skating world, but I can see how he makes an easy scapegoat because of his semi-constant presence in the media and his outspokenness, and that is not right. I do see your point on opinions, and I had a similar thought as I was typing my response, but I don't like to dismiss outright one's opinion as wrong or stupid because that can lead to a slippery slope (even if I think said opinion is wrong or stupid! :p).

lavender

Record Breaker
Don't like Jamie nor am I a fan of all that is Johnny but he is his own person. Why did she feel the need to say anything about him personally on tv. I kind of feel bad for Johnny. As a fellow skater it might have been best to just talk about his skating.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't like Jamie sometimes, I prefer David,
I don't like either one...since the 2002 Olympics and how she was hysterical backstage. What a cry baby.
Why is she commenting on Johnny anyhow???? Why doesn't she comment on Men's figure skating?? Johnny is not Men's Figure skating, he is just a part of it.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Saw her on Terry Gannon's preview/review and she sounded like an idiot. She might have the Russian hate rooted in her after the 2002 Olympics. Everything is anti-Russian, so Johnny being a fan of everything Russian does not sit well with this idiot.

lavender

Record Breaker
I just don't get the bashing over macho vs feminine....

Why can't there be both because that's life. Skating will always and forever be connected with being feminine just because so let it be.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
ImaginaryPogue, I suppose that I am one of the people that you categorized as "stupid". I think you have nothing better to say other than using the word "stupid". Johnny Weir is not a good representative for men's figure skating. I agree with Jamie Sale. His style and most of all his costumes would scare, if it's not done so already, a lot of families with boys who want to enter figure skating. No, figure skating is not a gay sport for men. But it seems to look like it if you say Johnny Weir is a good representative.:p

All right. Look at my comment. I never once called anyone stupid: not Sale, not you. I called the statement stupid. And even then I qualified it. But Medusa articulated the point better than I, so I'll just focus on what I mean

But Salé continued to make Weir responsible for problems in the skating world, and that is a very harsh accusation - and in my opinion, a false one. Not Weir is the problem, society is, if boys aren't allowed to skate only because someone on ice dares to clothe and act how he apparently wants to.

The fact that his costumes scare families? That's their problem, not his. Ignore the fur as there are genuine ethical issues to be considered there. But examine what the issue is. Essentially, he's being himself (as far as we can tell). His sex (gender) doesn't change based on clothing, but so many people question is masculinity etc because of it. Why? Because of their narrow, ingrained view of masculinity. We're not in the age of Marlboro men or cowboys as the sole standards of masculinity. Now, you might not think this is stupid, and that's your opinion. But do you think the standard is fair, in terms of how it represents masculinity? What exactly about Wier scares families and why?

But I think a man wearing feather boas is tacky and silly, not scary. And given how easily this is conflated into gender/sexual mores, I'm inclined to dismiss it outright.

Mafke

Medalist
Part of me (the paranoid part that sees conspiracies everywhere) thinks that maybe this is the first of what's going to be an IMG/SOI talking point? The question of why the biggest touring ice show left in NAmerica isn't employing one of the best known skaters in the world is the kind of thing that they're going to be asked. Maybe this is a trial balloon to see how dismissive they can/must be to make the "Why isn't Weir with you?" quesiton go away.

skatingbc

Final Flight
She really makes me sick. And to think I was a fan once. Anti-american??? represents MEN'S figure skating which is taking a hit??, feathers and fluffy stuff??, makes stories? I'm sorry but wearing a freaking Russian jacket doesn't make you anti-American anymore than Orser wearing a Korean jacket makes him anti-Canadian.

Completely different situations. Johnny Weir is not a member of the Russian Team, but is wearing a Russian jacket when he is representing the USA. Brian Orser, on the other hand, is a member and respresentative of the Korean team because he is Yu-Na Kim's coach.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I m not surprised to what she says, I m surprised to who cares what she says. Yes I m biased since Olympic Ice 2006, and recently reading an interview at Olys and her repeating on tv what she said in interview bashing Plush didnt make me like her more, it is not what she said cause the last thing I would care is Sale not liking Plushenko, it is how she said anything, there are one million ways to say you dont like someone, without using the vocabulary of a 5 year old, things like " i dont buy it' and such crap (i had made a list) when asked about her opinion, she uses English worse than I do.
She can say her opinion for Weir without sounding personal. But still I wouldn't care what she says. She always sounds bitter and honestly, not so sharp.
In my opinion is the phrase people use to defend their poor statements at the end. Of course it is my opinion since I speak about what I think, it is useless phrase. It is not a way of defending your words by saying it is my opinion, your words should be defended by real arguments.

Ginask8s

On the Ice
She did not present herself in a very intelligent manner. She sounded so mad and vindictive to me. Oh, and by the way, before criticizing someones taste in outfits she should take a good look at herself. She looked like a big GLAMOUR "DONT"

janetfan

Match Penalty
She did not present herself in a very intelligent manner. She sounded so mad and vindictive to me. Oh, and by the way, before criticizing someones taste in outfits she should take a good look at herself. She looked like a big GLAMOUR "DONT"

She was dressed OK. It is a style known as "Canadian casual." ;)

I like Jamie. She is as outspoken as Johnny and can be a poor sport just like Plushy. :biggrin:

So what's not to like :think:

Wicked

Final Flight
These arguments of masculine v. feminine in skating are so tiring to me. I love artistry, but I also want to see jumps and difficult technical content. With most skaters, I can find some quality in them that I like, whether they are "artistic" or "athletic." Why does this have to be an either/or? Great skaters are both.

Tony Wheeler

On the Ice
Is it bad that I agree with Jamie on certain points, and have for a few years now? I remember Johnny just coming up into the senior ranks and really liking him for a few years, but the last few seasons I haven't really been amazed by any of his programs, on top of all of the "other" stuff that has come up with him. I wish that it would be all about the skating itself when it comes to having opinions on the skaters, but lately (and he's definitely not the only one), it's not the case. And it's true of a lot of sports-- not just figure skating.

Anyways, my full long boring opinion is here if anyone cares to read more of my rambling: http://tony-wheeler.blogspot.com/2010/03/jamie-sale-on-johnny-weir.html

It can be tough to comment on a Johnny thread because if you don't approve of everything he does wholesale, you "don't like Johnny" and are stuck in the past. It isn't that way at all for me. Johnny is very articulate- compare his journal entries to most of his cohorts and it is clear that he is intelligent and knows how to express himself beautifully. But, he exasperates me frequently. The self-sabotage at the 2006 Olympics was nothing less than that. He really could have medaled there. I thought he kept it together so well this Olympics and I wish he would have trained and competed at Worlds. I think he had a solid chance for a medal there too given the retirements.

But as a fan of Toller Cranston, I am familar with the diva blues. There is so much talent there, but there is a good bit of nerves and angst. I saw the most recent episode of his show and my heart sank as he began to talk about his sinuses when he got off the plane. He overcame it there, but it is a rollercoaster ride with Johnny. The Russian jacket thing was just silly. Collect it, wear it, but keep it in the closet when you are videotaped during practice. I am not anti-Russian in the slightest. Actually, Johnny and I have some of the same books on Russia !( I saw his shelves on the show). But, Plushenko and Co wouldn't wear an American team jacket in similar circumstances and I wish Johnny hadn't either.
A sensible talk on Sale's opinion of Johnny. His Legion of Fans will balk at anything that they perceive as anti-Johnny even if is not intended to be. I was rushed off another Forum which happens to be a Johnny stronghold as far as male skaters as concerned. All I said was that I stood by him when he skated into the Boards and I requested everyone to encourage him to continue to skate, and that was long before he became popular. That was interpreted by some Johnny fans as being anti Johnny. You figure.

I do believe that Sale should not have opened that can-of-worms. Plushenko, Joubert and Stoyko have done it sublimenly. His becoming a Russofile is his business and I have no problem with that, although I would have preferred him to wear a Czarist jacket than a Stalin jacket. JMO. Czar Peter made Russia what it is today.

Unfortunately, I am not so acqainted with Toller but after seeing a tape of his Tybalt in John Curry's adaption of R&J, he truly was an artist.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Here is what's wrong (in addition to the homophobic tone) with the perspective of Jamie Sale and whoever that guy was on the show:

"It just seems like he's in it for himself and not the skating."

What an illogical statement. First of all, EVERYONE is in it for themself. It's not a team sport.

Second of all, this insinuates that Johnny isn't trying hard enough to be competitive, which is very incorrect. Johnny went out there and played by the CoP rules in order to get the best placement possible. He made sure the levels on his elements were all high and he did all of the combination jumps. These are things that he finds boring and dislikes CoP for, but he did it anyway.

Lastly, if anyone is going to be criticized for going out there and doing it for themself rather than the skating, it should be Plushenko. His performances were a joke artistically. He didn't try to do anything meaningful or push his own level of skating. I would say this about Lysacek too, although it's a bit different in his case. Lysacek simply is NOT an artist, although I do think he at least kind of tries. Lysacek certainly trained as a competitor and tried to maximize the points he could get for every single element, which is something Plushenko didn't attempt seeing as how his footwork was shockingly below the level he has shown in the past.

Weir tries to interpret the music and tries to give performances of value. Regardless of other interests he may have, he certainly respects the art of ice skating and does more than most people to keep the sport relevant.

CassAgain

On the Ice
Her criticisms would be more valid if Johnny hadn't conducted himself with such class and grace on and off the ice in Vancouver.

ks777

Record Breaker

I feel the same way as Jamie about Johnny.:)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh, and by the way, before criticizing someones taste in outfits she should take a good look at herself. She looked like a big GLAMOUR "DONT"
100% agree!!!

I hope Johnny catches up with her and smacks her with a feather or two!!!